Dive Computer advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amen brother! Outside of poutine, this is it...:wink: I do love me some "made in Canada".
bezos empire offer the perigrine adventure light edition (whatever that's mean...) for 665$. no bad.

perdrix on other website 1475$ + transmitter 515$.

oh ok i was more talking about the peregrine but i got your point, i assume both a pretty much the same beside air integration and compass navigation. Yeah i heard you for the color. i thought all the garmin computer where on the race too ? i thing one of the model got even a flash light (small beam) integreted
Yep. Pretty much the same. I use a Perdix with the Rec mode layout. So apart from a compass and AI, my Perdix operates very similarly to a Peregrine. The UI is very intuitive. I mentioned in previous threads that a buddy of mine was asking about my Perdix specifically how to change gas mix. He had never touched a Shearwater prior, and had really only seen mine. I told him how to turn it on. Shearwater manual mentions that this is the only operation requiring multiple button presses. You just hold both until it turns on. Once it was on, it took him about 30 seconds to find the right menu and change the gas mix.

As far as price goes, when comparing like computers, the Peregrine is competitive. You can undoubtedly get less expensive computers. Small black/white LCD screens will be less expensive than those with a large color display. If a color screen is important, you won't find many computers on the market that are less expensive.

It just comes down to what is important to you. Color screen, ease of use, and customer service were all important to me. That narrows the pool considerably.

Yep. Pretty much the same. I use a Perdix with the Rec mode layout. So apart from a compass and AI, my Perdix operates very similarly to a Peregrine. The UI is very intuitive. I mentioned in previous threads that a buddy of mine was asking about my Perdix specifically how to change gas mix. He had never touched a Shearwater prior, and had really only seen mine. I told him how to turn it on. Shearwater manual mentions that this is the only operation requiring multiple button presses. You just hold both until it turns on. Once it was on, it took him about 30 seconds to find the right menu and change the gas mix.

As far as price goes, when comparing like computers, the Peregrine is competitive. You can undoubtedly get less expensive computers. Small black/white LCD screens will be less expensive than those with a large color display. If a color screen is important, you won't find many computers on the market that are less expensive.

It just comes down to what is important to you. Color screen, ease of use, and customer service were all important to me. That narrows the pool considerably.
didn't thought about the color screen. i must admit i am getting old that 20/20 vision is gone ! i am using suunto zoop i think i have back light but it drain the battery. Thank you for the infos.

The new SP Luna 2.0 looks pretty nice for the money, about the same as the peregfine but with AI.

what make people spend 700$ over a Shearwater compare let see to a suunto zoop or mares puck ? Beside having the same basic feature regarding depth, temperature , NDL extra stuff, what push people going toward it that's justify to spend that much money ? Not saying is not a good computer just try to figure out the hype around it.

Easier to read.
Easier to use (e.g. for changing your Nitrox mix).
Awesome customer service (in North America, anyway).
A non-proprietary algorithm that allows for longer, safe bottom times and never locks you out.
Good resale value.
2-year warranty that is transferable.

All I needed was two bottom timers and a dive plan on a slate. Various soft wares eg. Deco Planner, Pro Planner etc were available well over 20 yrs ago.
I had never ever used a computer for deco plan.

Good for you. You could have longer dives if you used more modern tools, but if you're happy with doing it the old way, there is nothing wrong with that.

The only time that I have to cut a dive short because of ndl was on a square profile diving a deep wreck. Otherwise, multi-level is the way to dive reefs.

Not sure of your point here. Yes, on deep wrecks you'll usually run out of NDL before you run out of gas (unless your SAC rate is really high or you're diving a small tank).

Doing multi-level dives with an actual dive computer will still have the possibility of longer NDLs than any approach based on tables. Unless you're comparing to a dive computer that uses a proprietary, conservative algorithm, that is.

My Perdix will not lock me out, or narc me out to some DM for briefly exceeding NDL then clearing it on the way up.

My Leo won't either, how come that's a thing?

Care to share who you've been diving with so the rest of us can avoid them "narc DMs" like plague?

Good for you. You could have longer dives if you used more modern tools, but if you're happy with doing it the old way, there is nothing wrong with that.

Not sure of your point here. Yes, on deep wrecks you'll usually run out of NDL before you run out of gas (unless your SAC rate is really high or you're diving a small tank).

Doing multi-level dives with an actual dive computer will still have the possibility of longer NDLs than any approach based on tables. Unless you're comparing to a dive computer that uses a proprietary, conservative algorithm, that is.
I do not think tec computer was available in 1998 or was very expensive.
My best SAC is 6L per min on single or around 8L on twin with 2 stage bottles.
Did I mention that I used table for rec dive or is it your own assumption based on what? I used the same basic dive computer for rec dive since 1996.

I would not discount the Suunto for the type of diving you are doing. I would not recommend for deco or new divers progressing. But for "veteran" divers the conservatism is not an issue. I used one for many years without a problem. They are inexpensive on the used market and sometimes you can find them with AI. Not sure you need AI, but always a nice option. I would not go without my own computer. I would not rely on a guide to ensure my health.

My Perdix will not lock me out, or narc me out to some DM for briefly exceeding NDL then clearing it on the way up.
I can see what my tissue status is, gradient factors and make real time decisions about my dives.
I like my Perdix (Petrel, actually, but same same), too. A question is whether the OP is going to geek out on tissue plots and gradient factors and such, or does he just want something "good enough" for the kind of follow-the-DM diving he does a few weeks a year?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom