Dive Coat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surf Fur. I’d buy one again if someone ran off with it. It’s incredibly warm - windoroof -and I love being able to change out of my wet swimwear right then and there through the pockets. No more (nasty) public bathroom changes or squishing myself in the car. :)

I haven’t tried the other one mentioned here.

A GoreTex shell parka.

Something that is light, small and has multiple uses. Wear it while traveling, on the plane or in the back of the pickup truck in Ecuador, When it's raining on your way to breakfast.

You do not need insulation, you need a 100% windbreak.

I looked at them but then realized that I had some of their forerunners in a duffle bag and just started using it. No chance of it getting mixed up with anyone else and my wife tells me "there is zero chance of anyone stealing it". (Although she certainly did not turn it down upon occasion when she was cold)

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=333931.jpg

Out of the water, a wet wet suit goes from providing warmth to being a refrigerator through evaporation which sucks up heat (it is how they cool canteens). Anything that stops the evaporation makes a big difference. Stop the evaporation and the wet suit goes back to providing insulation. I otften tak a lightweight, windproof, rain coat in my bag. Lightweight, little room, and makes a big difference.

If you are cold during/between or on the second dive, as has already been mentioned, get a drysuit.

If you are using a wetsuit, take it off, turn it inside out and give it the chance to dry between dives.
Whilst the wetsuit is drying get warm. Dry warm clothes.
Wear a baselayer under the drysuit - possibly for the second dive only, then you have a dry layer between you and the damp/cold wetsuit.

Ultimately a drysuit is a much better solution.

As has also been stated, get out of the wind, so a wind proof is sensible and practical. When we went to Iceland, we invested in large ski jackets that would fit OVER our drysuits. Even in a drysuit, you can chill between dives, the water on the outside of the drysuit evaporates, cooling you down. Its slightly less of an issue in a membrane because they dry so quickly, but even in a membrane, the wind on the outside of a dry drysuit still has the effect of cooling you down.
We bought the ski jackets at the end of the ski season - so they where clearance items.

Gareth

Just got back from Cozumel, even-though it was in the low 70's the wind made it feel so cold after the dive.
The SI was miserable.
In the market for a Dive Coat. Do not know anything about them, and I just want to spend money once, Please advice.

Not sure if you're mentioning the boat coat because you saw people using them in Cozumel, but if you're not aware, some of the dive ops there have them available on their boats for customers to use. This is one of the reasons I like diving with Aldora. I have not found theirs to smell bad or anything--certainly no worse than my wetsuit. :)

I have yet to see a drysuit in Cozumel. Then again, I brought mine to the Red Sea for just the kind of diving mentioned: mild air and water temps but windy surface intervals.

You do not need insulation, you need a 100% windbreak.

That might meet your requirements, but I dive the NorCal coast wet in the winter so just a windbrake won't cut it.

Bob

A dry suit is my preferred option for staying warm above and below the surface. But in places like Cozumel a drysuit is overkill.

So what are your options?

#1. Do not dive with those ops that use small fast boats. You are exposed to the elements and surf. The large cattle boats are slower but offer protection from wind and rain.

#2. Boat coats are nothing more than expensive version of football coats - you know, the same coats that people wear to football games. You can probably pick up a football coat on the cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom