Dive Coat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTC'83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just got back from Cozumel, even-though it was in the low 70's the wind made it feel so cold after the dive.
The SI was miserable.
In the market for a Dive Coat. Do not know anything about them, and I just want to spend money once, Please advice.

Just got back from Cozumel, even-though it was in the low 70's the wind made it feel so cold after the dive.
The SI was miserable.
In the market for a Dive Coat. Do not know anything about them, and I just want to spend money once, Please advice.

I bought one of these 15 years ago. I use it during winter dives in Cozumel because I don't like the smell of those that are on the dive boat. It is a little bulky to pack so I vacuum bag it. I wouldn't consider Cozumel in Dec/Jan without it. I dry clean it because I had it embroidered on the back. It is otherwise machine washable.

https://goo.gl/cBaCHn

Hope it is helpful.

I got mine from TruWest.com. They have a lot of options to customize the coat for you.

Everyone else is wrong.

The answer here is a drysuit. After a dive load it with as much gas as you want. You will be lovely and warm. Even in "cold" water conditions you can survive in the water with a wetsuit. Obviously, I'm not going to go into balanced rigs and other such stuff here.

But the drysuit will keep you happier in the water and out of it.

@Damian G. Finch
@JohnRom

I totally agree TruWest was the first and often copied but never duplicated in quality "Boat Coat."
I purchased my first one wore it not only for diving but for other activities for over 15 years. I have the second one for approximately 15 years also but due to a number of factors did not wear it as much and it shows very little wear.

I also have a "Long Beach Neptunes Spear fishing club jacket made by Truwest which is used only on occasion do to the mild weather were I reside. After over 35 years old show little signs of wear and will probably become a heir loom.

It is my considered opinion that "you get what you pay for" but based on my usage that there is no better "Boat Coat" than Truwest.

SDM

Just like @Damian G. Finch @JohnRom and @Sam Miller III l bought a TruWest boat coat many years ago. It has paid for itself many times over. I can't count the times I have been the only warm diver on the boat. After all this time it shows nearly no wear. I'm sure many boat coats are just fine and cost less. If I ever need a new boat coat, it will be from TruWest

I received a surf fur coat as a gift while living in Southern California. It is a very well-built coat and used by many surfers and divers locally. I can’t speak to TruWest but I know if my boat coat were to be lost or stolen, I would not even bat an eye to purchase one or ten from surf fur!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom