Dive Charters Running again in PCB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PatMyGreen

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Panama City Beach, Florida, United States
Just wanted to let everyone know that most of us charter operators in Panama City have resumed running charters again after nearly all of us voluntarily canceled all of our trips for the past few weeks while a sub surface oily plume was in our area. Sadly no one is doing and testing at depth so we protracted our stand down until we were certain the oil and the invisible dispersants were no longer in the thermocline in our waters.

Vis was 50-60' today on the Red Sea and Span 12 and I read the temp as 82-84*F. I was only wearing a rash guard (and board shorts :wink:) and was perfectly fine. The current made the dives feel like I was in Key Largo. Use the lines or swim like mad!

We went to the Red Sea today @ 2pm!! The current was ripping on us too!!! That is the most baitfish I have ever experienced!!!

I thought that was you going out! We had a new DM in training do our tie-in and conditions report and he didn't mention the current and even swore there wasn't one when I asked him about the wake coming off our ladder while we were anchored. He now knows to stop on the line to check as he ascends from tie-ing in. Other shenanigans included Tommy (normal DM) who I was training to take over as Captain (he has a 100 ton license) deleting the waypoint for the Red Sea from the Chart plotter as we were driving to it! Fortunately we carry a back up GPS and were able to phone our friend to confirm those numbers so we didn't lose too much time. Next I get back to the shop and and find that my nitrox low bank has been equalized with my air high bank!!!!!! Anybody need EANx26?

We had a real big "slow down, read the instructions and ask if unsure" talk that I'm pretty sure made an impression. So this is what management is! :wink:

We are running everything we always have. Although traditionally most dive charters are for inshore trips,~70%. Where we go, Inshore, Offshore or 3 tank is up to the first person who calls to book for the day and time in question.

and he didn't mention the current and even swore there wasn't one when I asked him about the wake coming off our ladder

How in the world could you not notice it??? LOL

Well in fairness the 30#s of anchor chain make his descent alittle too quick to notice much other than he is going down. I dropped him on the stern so the ship was blocking the current while he was tying in and since DMs dont do a safety stop from a bounce dive like that the current just pushed him back up the line. This is a recurrent problem with DMs with our setup since they don't have to actually swim at any point during the tie in. They just have to remember to stop and check for it but Kyle was trying to get back as quickly as safely possible to get the customers in the water and out of the heat ASAP. All in all he did a good job, with a small rookie mistake that (now) will never happen again. Which is what training is all about! I'll make sure to sand drop him the next few times though just to make sure he thinks about current. :wink:

Clay tied in Monday and said his reg. free-flowed on him while going back down to untie, due to the strong current!! I use the sand drop technique on Clay too, funny as crap, at least to me!!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom