Dive Boat suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
On a boat with a true inboard engine (not an outdrive), when you put it in reverse the water somewow does not pull very well across the rudder of the boat. you basically cannot steer a single engine inboard while it's in reverse. The rudder is useless. You have no reverse movement steering.

you can steer a two engine inboard because the engines are offset the centerline of the boat and will pull to one side and you can also put one engine in reverse and the other in forward and turn the boat while going backwards.

Trailering Keel boats are difficult because they have a deeper keel and ride very high on the trailer and they are a real pain in the butt to get the boat on/off the trailer.

hope that helps.

-mike

When you first put an inboard in reverse the stern will swing in the direction of the prop rotation due to prop walk, once decent sternway is achieved the rudder will steer. I prefer the responsiveness of an I/O. Of course thrusters would be great as well.

--Matt

matt_unique:
When you first put an inboard in reverse the stern will swing in the direction of the prop rotation due to prop walk, once decent sternway is achieved the rudder will steer. I prefer the responsiveness of an I/O. Of course thrusters would be great as well.

I doubt I'll find thrusters on any boat I can afford. :)

yes you will get some sterning once you get up some reverse momentum with an inboard, but you don't have that luxury of space to do in backing it up out of a slip in a tight marina. Seldom do I ever have a need to put it in reverse for any length of time anyway.

mike_s:
I doubt I'll find thrusters on any boat I can afford. :)

yes you will get some sterning once you get up some reverse momentum with an inboard, but you don't have that luxury of space to do in backing it up out of a slip in a tight marina. Seldom do I ever have a need to put it in reverse for any length of time anyway.

Do you feel reverse manuverability is a drawback to the IB's? I'm a little unsure as to how much weight I should give to this issue. I will be in and out of small marinas. Also, when the water get shallow, you would have more of a concern with the IB, however I've been told the Shamrock, and some other IB's, draw less water than some fully loaded I/O's.

dab:
Do you feel reverse manuverability is a drawback to the IB's? I'm a little unsure as to how much weight I should give to this issue. I will be in and out of small marinas. Also, when the water get shallow, you would have more of a concern with the IB, however I've been told the Shamrock, and some other IB's, draw less water than some fully loaded I/O's.

Wind is going to be your biggest problem. I had a 28' IB and I had to come in hot then reverse the prop when the was up. To be able to backup into the when wind when it was strong forget it. I now have a nice 27' IB OB and what a joy to dock.

mike_s:
I doubt I'll find thrusters on any boat I can afford.
Not necessarily true Mike. The prices on small bow thrusters have gotten pretty reasonable - there's not a whole lot of engineering to them to begin with. If you found a big old displacement hull a single one-lunger diesel for cheap, you or a yard guru could retrofit a little thruster.

scottmc:
Wind is going to be your biggest problem. I had a 28' IB and I had to come in hot then reverse the prop when the was up. To be able to backup into the when wind when it was strong forget it. I now have a nice 27' IB OB and what a joy to dock.

That is exactly what I'm concerned about. But from a diving standpoint, I really like the engine cover placement of the IB much better than the IO. With the IO, the engine cover is up against the stern, and with an 8 to 8 1/2' boat I would be working around it a lot. the Shamrock (IB) has the engine centrally located up against the cabin, out of the way and has a wide open stern with lots of room. Having not driven an inboard, I'm trying to get a feel for how difficult getting used to an inboard will be. I don't want get frustrated each time I have to pull into a dock and the wind is blowing, and all the irate boaters are watching and waiting...........

You'll have more success looking up "C-Dory". Their owners are almost as fanatical as Boston Whaler owners but not nearly as rabid - any C-Dory owner will gladly talk your ear off for hours as they expound upon the joys of their vessel. Most excellent, seaworthy boats. They're very hard to find used in the southeast as they are manufactured up in Washington state.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom