Dive Boat suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No Fish:
A friend of mine has a shamrock and I think I am way more maneuverable than he is. The SeaSport boats (not to be confused with an east coast manufacturer called SeaSport) also hold value very well. I can sell mine today for more than I paid for it. But I won't.

I also have a lower freeboard off of the deck so rolling in from the side is easy too. It is a great design.

I had a real crowd on it once. Seven recreational divers & gear. Really, four divers are enough if they have double tanks. I am equipped with radar, autopilot, gps charting and soon side-scan. And, I can lock the door when I am done. Nothing under canvas (which I hate) or out in the open.

Good luck looking for a new boat.[/QUOTe

Out of curiousity, can you explain in what circumstances you were more manuverable? Are you refering to pulling in and out of slips or a marina? Is your friends Shamrock an inboard? I do like the fact that Shamrock offers a diesel engine in a boat this size. Where is the Seasport made that you have? Also, the Parker like looks like a great dive boat also. A little wider, 9 1/2' beam, but a ton of cockpit space and a great looking cabin and easily modified for diving. I am finding some great choices, and it's going to be hard to decide. Thanks for your thoughts.

dab:
I am seriously considering the purchase of a boat for technical diving. I would like to hear from fellow divers or boat owners who can suggest some boat makes and models that lend themselves to conversion for diving use. Specifically I am using the following critera:
- Approx 24 to 26' to facilitate trailering with a max beam of 8 1/2'
- Large open stern area for tank/gear storage and suiting up
- Forward cabin area with hard top an v berth
-Ability to handle rough water
-On board head
-Good fuel capacity
-Prefer I/O, but inboard is ok
-Swim platform

I realize this won't be cheap, but I am serious about pursuing this. Any make/model suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

My next boat will likely be the Bayliner Classic 222 with the hard top option, trim tabs, etc., etc. http://www.baylinerboats.com/cruisers.asp?modelid=44209&year=2005.

It's trailerable (5500lbs with trailer), 8cyl 220 hp merc I/O with the Alpha 1, has the hard top option, enclosed head (holding tank option), large open stern area for dive gear/guests, large spacious v-berth (or you can have the table up and seat 4 adults in the cabin), 21 degree deadrise, trim tabs, etc. The specs are listed on the website. It does not come with a swim platform and this boat is 22'3". I know of people who had a full platform added. Many boats with swim platforms (standard) have a door leading to the platform. I prefer a solid stern for rougher water considerations. This boat with the options I mention above MSRP's for just under $40G. This keeps the insurance costs relatively low as well.

The next step up is a (24'9") Classic 242. This boat offers different options and has the swim platform, etc. but it offers less deck space. I overnight quite often but most of my time is spent on deck. I never cook when on the boat so I don't care to have a galley. (When we weekend, we are going out to eat or eating sandwiches from a cooler).

I currently have the Capri 1952 (19' cuddy cabin). I often dive from this boat with three divers with doubles, stage bottles, etc., etc., etc. and someone to keep watch. Coolers, 02, sleeping bags, etc. are kept in the cabin.

Good luck with your search.

--Matt

matt_unique:
My next boat will likely be the Bayliner Classic 222 with the hard top option, trim tabs, etc., etc. http://www.baylinerboats.com/cruisers.asp?modelid=44209&year=2005.

It's trailerable (5500lbs with trailer), 8cyl 220 hp merc I/O with the Alpha 1, has the hard top option, enclosed head (holding tank option), large open stern area for dive gear/guests, large spacious v-berth (or you can have the table up and seat 4 adults in the cabin), 21 degree deadrise, trim tabs, etc. The specs are listed on the website. It does not come with a swim platform and this boat is 22'3". I know of people who had a full platform added. Many boats with swim platforms (standard) have a door leading to the platform. I prefer a solid stern for rougher water considerations. This boat with the options I mention above MSRP's for just under $40G. This keeps the insurance costs relatively low as well.

The next step up is a (24'9") Classic 242. This boat offers different options and has the swim platform, etc. but it offers less deck space. I overnight quite often but most of my time is spent on deck. I never cook when on the boat so I don't care to have a galley. (When we weekend, we are going out to eat or eating sandwiches from a cooler).

I currently have the Capri 1952 (19' cuddy cabin). I often dive from this boat with three divers with doubles, stage bottles, etc., etc., etc. and someone to keep watch. Coolers, 02, sleeping bags, etc. are kept in the cabin.

Good luck with your search.

--Matt

Thanks for your thoughts. Those are nice boats. I am presently leaning toward the Shamrock or Parker. I believe they have everything I am looking for, with the exception of the wider than desired beam on the Parker. Wide load permits are required for anything over 8 1/2' here, so I am trying to determine how much of a real problem that may be. From a practical sense, it may not be an issue, but I prefer to do everything by the "book". Thanks again.

there are a lot of quality trailerable boats available that would provide plenty of room, storage and rough water capabilities.

any reason why it would have to be a new boat? you can save thousands by considering used..

http//:www.boattraderonline.com

just a thought

Rookie_J:
there are a lot of quality trailerable boats available that would provide plenty of room, storage and rough water capabilities.

any reason why it would have to be a new boat? you can save thousands by considering used..

http//:www.boattraderonline.com

just a thought

For what I'm looking for, the field seems to get narrowed down. I definately am looking at used boat and will probably go that way. In fact I've come across a couple of bank repo's that look like pretty good opportunities. However before I actually get ready to plunk down some cash, I want to make sure it's exactually what I want, which is the reason for the search to make sure I've considered everything available. Diving will be the primary use for this boat, so I don't want to make do with a boat that does not easily lend itself to that purpose. Again, the Parker, and Shamrock are where I'm leaning now. There seem to be plenty of used boats in these lines available.

dab:
For what I'm looking for, the field seems to get narrowed down. I definately am looking at used boat and will probably go that way. In fact I've come across a couple of bank repo's that look like pretty good opportunities. However before I actually get ready to plunk down some cash, I want to make sure it's exactually what I want, which is the reason for the search to make sure I've considered everything available. Diving will be the primary use for this boat, so I don't want to make do with a boat that does not easily lend itself to that purpose. Again, the Parker, and Shamrock are where I'm leaning now. There seem to be plenty of used boats in these lines available.

It's the same price as a home survey (in Mass about $350) but very necessary for a used boat. I had three used boats surveyed before I decided to buy brand new. I use my boat to the max in terms of loading, distance from shore, seas (etc.) and at this point I would not want to be out to sea wondering how the former owner maintained the boat. I can appreciate how tempting the price reduction is with a used boat though. You can definitely get more bang for the buck if you get a good one.

--Matt

i'm wondering what kind of boat would make a good dive-op boat for the PNW. i've been thinking about larger boats in the 30' - 50' range. extended top to keep divers out of the weather, twin engines, maybe jet drives since divers and propellers don't mix. i don't really know how the tradeoffs between top speed and fuel consumption would work out, though, in terms of what divers want out of a dive-op. clearly, the best would be getting there fast for cheap, which might make smaller boats actually more attractive. i'm wondering if divers would like a boat that was a bit slower, though, but which had a trimix fill station on it...

lamont:
i'm wondering what kind of boat would make a good dive-op boat for the PNW. i've been thinking about larger boats in the 30' - 50' range. extended top to keep divers out of the weather, twin engines, maybe jet drives since divers and propellers don't mix. i don't really know how the tradeoffs between top speed and fuel consumption would work out, though, in terms of what divers want out of a dive-op. clearly, the best would be getting there fast for cheap, which might make smaller boats actually more attractive. i'm wondering if divers would like a boat that was a bit slower, though, but which had a trimix fill station on it...

Add to that a hot shower on the exterior to rinse off gear and drysuit on cold days...

A fill station sounds nice, best though to consider banked mixes even then it would be a slow process to fill for more than just a couple of divers during the SI.

lamont:

I would scrap the fill station idea. For the investment, the payout would take forever, and, at least around here, the technical charters are generally one dive.

dab:
Out of curiousity, can you explain in what circumstances you were more manuverable? Are you refering to pulling in and out of slips or a marina? Is your friends Shamrock an inboard? I do like the fact that Shamrock offers a diesel engine in a boat this size. Where is the Seasport made that you have? Also, the Parker like looks like a great dive boat also. A little wider, 9 1/2' beam, but a ton of cockpit space and a great looking cabin and easily modified for diving. I am finding some great choices, and it's going to be hard to decide. Thanks for your thoughts.

My boat is made in Bellingham Washington. This is the only place that they are made. I mentioned to you in an earlier post that there is another seasport out there, so when you look on boat trader, you will not be confused. They are different, open cockpit style.

The Shamrock my friend has is a diesel and an inboard, so the slow speed maneuvering is a pain. His is a walkaround. I have a 5.7L gas I/O with a Volvo Penta duoprop so I don't get any torque or prop walking. Pretty quick too..... Also, the Shamrock sits higher in the back, I like it lower. I can take water over the front and not get wet either. He cannot. I carry 80 gal. of fuel 20 gal. F/W for the sink and it has a stove too. Defrosters and cabin heat. (That makes a nice warm ride home) I also have an engine cover that is great for sitting on when gearing up. Don't get me wrong, the Shamrock is a great boat, I like the SeaSport configuration better.

If you find one for sale (they are grabbed up quick) check out how heavy duty it is compared to a bayliner etc. No comparison. You see a lot of them in Alaska too. I can carry an inflatable in the roof under the arch. It is handy sometimes.

It trailers well too. Heavy but no problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom