Dive Boat suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No Fish:
Eight foot beam. I have a 22. The 24 would be my favorite. Very sturdy and has a heated cabin with comfortable arrangements. It is heavy.

Here is a pic of my boat and a link www.seasportboats.com

Thanks for the pic's. Great looking boat and very close to what I'm looking for. I have also looked at the Shamrock line, specifically the Mackinaw 26. The late 90's models have an 8 ft beam and are very roomy in the stern, able to handle rough water and a dry wight of around 5000 lbs.Very doable. A bit more pricy than the used sport craft models, but it looks to be a great dive boat. I will also start looking at the sea sport line as well. Thanks again.

I use a 24 foot Trophy 2359 hard top for my charters....great boat...room for 6 divers plus two tanks each. I charter in Erie and she handles very well in rough seas.

crankin:
I use a 24 foot Trophy 2359 hard top for my charters....great boat...room for 6 divers plus two tanks each. I charter in Erie and she handles very well in rough seas.

I have looked at these in the past. It seemed a few others had a little more open stern area. Did you make any changes or modifiications to the boat to make it more convenient for your charters? If you have made any changes, I would love to see a picture for ideas. Thanks. The Trophy's look like great boats.

dab:
I have looked at these in the past. It seemed a few others had a little more open stern area. Did you make any changes or modifiications to the boat to make it more convenient for your charters? If you have made any changes, I would love to see a picture for ideas. Thanks. The Trophy's look like great boats.

The only changes I've made were a ladder similar to this one HERE I've also added a 4 blade SS prop instead of the OEM 3 blade alu. I found it hard to get out of the hole with the aluminum prop. I'de love to show you pictures but, the boat is in storage and covered in snow right now.

crankin:
The only changes I've made were a ladder similar to this one HERE I've also added a 4 blade SS prop instead of the OEM 3 blade alu. I found it hard to get out of the hole with the aluminum prop. I'de love to show you pictures but, the boat is in storage and covered in snow right now.

Thanks. The web site you pointed me to is great. I really liked some of the different modifications they offer. I know what you mean about the snow- we're covered and in the middle of a storm now. Thanks again. I haven't done any diving in lake Erie, maybe it's time to get down there.........

If you want all weather and all conditions then here is my recommendation. Get a Zodiac with a cabin. If price isn't really an option then by a 28' Hurricane (Zodiac's military version in alluminium)

While Whalers are unsinkable they can not and do not compare in ride quality to a Zodiac or V hulled RIB. Ask Uncle Pug. We were out in 4' -5' wind swells a few days ago with 4 divers, gear and a liveboat driver. No one got wet and the gear didn't get trashed. We remarked that it would have been a very different ride had we been out in his Whaler. I've been out in 3' - 4' chop in a Grady White and just got abused and wondered if we would get back. In turn I've launched off of 15' waves for 2.5 hours in a Hurricane 733 and never questioned my saftey. Bottom line - for this sized boat there is nothing safer than a RIB when the conditions blow up on you. I like knowing that I'll always be able to get home no matter how bad the conditions are.

Getting into my Zodiac is easy. You get out of your tank on the surface, clip it into a line and then kick up onto the tube or climb up the ladder that I have mounted on the stern.

Here are a couple of pictures of what I consider an ideal boat.

dab:
I am seriously considering the purchase of a boat for technical diving. I would like to hear from fellow divers or boat owners who can suggest some boat makes and models that lend themselves to conversion for diving use. Specifically I am using the following critera:
- Approx 24 to 26' to facilitate trailering with a max beam of 8 1/2'
- Large open stern area for tank/gear storage and suiting up
- Forward cabin area with hard top an v berth
-Ability to handle rough water
-On board head
-Good fuel capacity
-Prefer I/O, but inboard is ok
-Swim platform

I realize this won't be cheap, but I am serious about pursuing this. Any make/model suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

The first question is where is the intended use? Good fuel capacity and stability in "rough water" is VERY relative to where you intend to run.

On the Northern Gulf Coast a marginal fuel capacity may be 300 gallons for a day's run, depending on your powerplants. (Avoid a single way home up here!) A minimum range for a good Gulf boat for spearfishing between Mobile and Beaumont should be at least 250 miles on plane, but 300 or more is desirable in case the world turns brown and you have to head to a different port downwind. On the east coast of south Florida 60 gallons may be more than enough since all dive sites are relativly close to shore. A Gulf run may be 40-50 miles to the first dive from the dock, while from Boca Inlet it's about 600 yards to a mile and a half.

Sea conditions also determine what works in your area. The Pacific boat has to handle big swells well, but won't usually see much in the way of a significant chop in weather a small boater is likely to be out in. The South Fla, Gulf, or Great Lakes boats won't EVER see big swells, but may see a 10' to 40' chop. Most small boaters in the Gulf will stay home in chop predicted to be over about 5', but thunder storms do happen a lot and can double the local wave height. The middle east coast of Fla up to the St. Lawrence can see any of it! The hull requirements are quite different for each environment.

That said, the cats handle chop well, and do reasonably well in swells. They generally don't have the fuel capacity for a long day in the Gulf and are somewhat limited in onboard storage capacity if they do.

FT

FredT:
The first question is where is the intended use? Good fuel capacity and stability in "rough water" is VERY relative to where you intend to run.

On the Northern Gulf Coast a marginal fuel capacity may be 300 gallons for a day's run, depending on your powerplants. (Avoid a single way home up here!) A minimum range for a good Gulf boat for spearfishing between Mobile and Beaumont should be at least 250 miles on plane, but 300 or more is desirable in case the world turns brown and you have to head to a different port downwind. On the east coast of south Florida 60 gallons may be more than enough since all dive sites are relativly close to shore. A Gulf run may be 40-50 miles to the first dive from the dock, while from Boca Inlet it's about 600 yards to a mile and a half.

Sea conditions also determine what works in your area. The Pacific boat has to handle big swells well, but won't usually see much in the way of a significant chop in weather a small boater is likely to be out in. The South Fla, Gulf, or Great Lakes boats won't EVER see big swells, but may see a 10' to 40' chop. Most small boaters in the Gulf will stay home in chop predicted to be over about 5', but thunder storms do happen a lot and can double the local wave height. The middle east coast of Fla up to the St. Lawrence can see any of it! The hull requirements are quite different for each environment.

That said, the cats handle chop well, and do reasonably well in swells. They generally don't have the fuel capacity for a long day in the Gulf and are somewhat limited in onboard storage capacity if they do.

FT

The primary use will be in the Great Lakes. We have access to some of the best wreck diving in the world within 10 to 15 miles offshore. Range shouldn't be an issue. More fuel capacity would be nice, but not often will I need to exceed 20 miles offshore, with a good forecast.

dab:
The primary use will be in the Great Lakes. We have access to some of the best wreck diving in the world within 10 to 15 miles offshore. Range shouldn't be an issue. More fuel capacity would be nice, but not often will I need to exceed 20 miles offshore, with a good forecast.

That sounds a lot like what we have here in the NW. Swell doesn't bother me so much as big wind chop. When I was in 15' seas in the Zodiac 733 it was just south of Port Hardy at the end of Vancouver Island. It was all wind chop, that had blown up since the morning. We had about 25 NM to go before we could get into the lee of any land. Knowing that we would not be able to be tipped over was very comforting. While we put our foul weather gear to good use, we never had any issues with the boat.

Having used my Zodiac (without a cabin) for the past week in 20 degree temps, we all said that having a heated cabin is necessary. For me it would allow being comfortable year round out here. FWIW I have a 50 gallon below deck fuel tank that will allow me to travel about 150 NM. I try not to go below a half tank for saftey margins. Personally I would like to upgrade the boat with a second 50 gal tank, even though a long run for me is about 50 miles.

dab:
Thanks for the pic's. Great looking boat and very close to what I'm looking for. I have also looked at the Shamrock line, specifically the Mackinaw 26. The late 90's models have an 8 ft beam and are very roomy in the stern, able to handle rough water and a dry wight of around 5000 lbs.Very doable. A bit more pricy than the used sport craft models, but it looks to be a great dive boat. I will also start looking at the sea sport line as well. Thanks again.

A friend of mine has a shamrock and I think I am way more maneuverable than he is. The SeaSport boats (not to be confused with an east coast manufacturer called SeaSport) also hold value very well. I can sell mine today for more than I paid for it. But I won't.

I also have a lower freeboard off of the deck so rolling in from the side is easy too. It is a great design.

I had a real crowd on it once. Seven recreational divers & gear. Really, four divers are enough if they have double tanks. I am equipped with radar, autopilot, gps charting and soon side-scan. And, I can lock the door when I am done. Nothing under canvas (which I hate) or out in the open.

Good luck looking for a new boat.

Back
Top Bottom