Dive Boat suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am seriously considering the purchase of a boat for technical diving. I would like to hear from fellow divers or boat owners who can suggest some boat makes and models that lend themselves to conversion for diving use. Specifically I am using the following critera:
- Approx 24 to 26' to facilitate trailering with a max beam of 8 1/2'
- Large open stern area for tank/gear storage and suiting up
- Forward cabin area with hard top an v berth
-Ability to handle rough water
-On board head
-Good fuel capacity
-Prefer I/O, but inboard is ok
-Swim platform

I realize this won't be cheap, but I am serious about pursuing this. Any make/model suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chuck Tribolet:
This belongs in the Kayak Diving section???

A boat that size is trailerable, but you need a serious tow vehicle.

My preference would be a 25 or 27 foot Boston Whaler Challenger,
with the dive door in the side. No swimstep required. There's
a picture of a 27 at
http://www.brunswickcgboats.com/default.asp?content=boats&boatid=50

Not sure how I got this in the the Kayak section. Oh well. The Challenger is a great boat, but too wide. 10' would be an oversize load. I do have the tow vehicle, a 1 ton pickup and a 1 ton dually.

My first thought also was you weren't going to be able to trailer a 24 to 26 foot boat that was a deep vee needed for rough water. That and add the extra weight, engines, etc... It still might push a 1 ton pretty good though.

one suggestion though... get a dual hull cat. Then you have the perfect platform on the real of the boat between the two outboards for entry, etc. Believe it or not, they do well in rough water as it displaces the waves over two hulls. I'm not sure how trailering one is. though. you can get them in trailer widths.

Boston Whaler also makes a similar boat like that with the side door that I think is narrower. I think it has a center console. check that out.

mike_s:
My first thought also was you weren't going to be able to trailer a 24 to 26 foot boat that was a deep vee needed for rough water. That and add the extra weight, engines, etc... It still might push a 1 ton pretty good though.

one suggestion though... get a dual hull cat. Then you have the perfect platform on the real of the boat between the two outboards for entry, etc. Believe it or not, they do well in rough water as it displaces the waves over two hulls. I'm not sure how trailering one is. though. you can get them in trailer widths.

Boston Whaler also makes a similar boat like that with the side door that I think is narrower. I think it has a center console. check that out.

Thanks. I will check them out. I also have looked at 25' sport craft. They seem to have a lot of extra room. The towing capacity with the 1 ton is 12 to 13,000 lbs, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Any other suggestions? Maybe someone will see something at our world underwater that would be worth considering for a good Great LAkes dive boat.

This thread needs to be moved from the kayak section.

That said, your not going to find a boat that size that can be trailered in any practical sense even with a Dodge Cummins diesel or a F350 diesel. The size, width, weight, logistics for launching and recovering are simply beyond what is practical in my opinion. Unless your trailering consists of only a few miles towing such a beast any appreciable distance simply is not doable. I have towed large items and it is tiring. It is also expensive in fuel and simply not worth the effort.
I suggest you look at the new Boston Whaler NewPort. It has a small cuddy cabin and is about 21 feet long and 8 feet wide. I think probably your best bet is a center console like the BW Nantucket 190 or Montauck 170 or a used classic Whaler like an 18-20 foot Outrage.

OR--forget all that, get a kayak, easy to load on to your car, fast, seaworthy, fun, much cheaper!!!!!!!!!!! and you would be in the correct forum. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom