Dive Boat suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
That's a beautiful boat Dan!

Thanks. I'm still paying for it.

The thing that did it for me was the combination center console and engine housing. She has plenty of stern space; 12 cylinder (80s) racks and two benches; I added a 4-sided privacy/element encloser for the bow space; non-divers sit up front. Onboard VHF, depth finder, fish finder, GPS/chartplotter with graphical weather data, and 20 mile radar - all by Garmin. I can floor-mount astern two side/by/side fishing chairs. I keep her coastal. I have current Master and Mate Near Coastal with Sail/Auxiliary Endorsement ratings.

Next year my only daughter heads off to the University of Texas at Austin - and I'm going to permantly move to the coast (Aransas Pass), and try to earn a living at sea. :eyebrow:

BigboyDan:
Thanks. I'm still paying for it.

The thing that did it for me was the combination center console and engine housing. She has plenty of stern space; 12 cylinder (80s) racks and two benches; I added a 4-sided privacy/element encloser for the bow space; non-divers sit up front. Onboard VHF, depth finder, fish finder, GPS/chartplotter with graphical weather data, and 20 mile radar - all by Garmin. I can floor-mount astern two side/by/side fishing chairs. I keep her coastal. I have current Master and Mate Near Coastal with Sail/Auxiliary Endorsement ratings.

Next year my only daughter heads off to the University of Texas at Austin - and I'm going to permantly move to the coast (Aransas Pass), and try to earn a living at sea. :eyebrow:

Any Pictures by chance of the interior set up? I'm trying to get some ideas for my boat, when I get it. Did they (Newton) do the tank racks and benches or did you have to have them done elsewhere? When I finally get this boat and get it set up I will post some pictures! Thanks.

mike_s:
My first thought also was you weren't going to be able to trailer a 24 to 26 foot boat that was a deep vee needed for rough water. That and add the extra weight, engines, etc... It still might push a 1 ton pretty good though.

one suggestion though... get a dual hull cat. Then you have the perfect platform on the real of the boat between the two outboards for entry, etc. Believe it or not, they do well in rough water as it displaces the waves over two hulls. I'm not sure how trailering one is. though. you can get them in trailer widths.

Boston Whaler also makes a similar boat like that with the side door that I think is narrower. I think it has a center console. check that out.

I would seriously consider these boats:

http://twinveeboats.com/26hsf.htm

I saw a smaller TwinVee yesterday in Monterey just yesterday. The boat seemed
decent, but they have two grades of trailers, and it was on the cheaper one. The owner
was bemoaning that he hadn't gotten the better trailer. Not only was the trailer pretty
flimsy, but it wasn't well setup. The boat was WAY up in the air, and the bunks didn't
support the transom. The transom is the strongest part of the boat, and carries the
most weight if you have an outboard, so should be supported directly.

This will be my new dive boat. 21.8' long with small cudy for storage. Very strong reliable 4 stroke EFI Yamaha Engine. I added three step dive ladder to one side of the transom, swim step on the other. I'm going to get some custom tank hoders made for those fishing rod holders on the sides.

Not the perfect dive boat, but it will fit my needs. With a deep v at 21.8' it will go most places I need to go. If you want any more pic's of the ladder or special handles I added let me know.

63287850_2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom