Dive Boat suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is a very nice boat! But it has a large price tag also. My 22' was half that price, probably half the boat also. But it fit my budget.

BVI Diver!:
That is a very nice boat! But it has a large price tag also. My 22' was half that price, probably half the boat also. But it fit my budget.

Check this out.
http://www.bradleypowerboats.com/pelican22.htm

It's a 22 foot that is probably 1/3 the price of most comparable designs. It's very basic but only US$10,000 (without the motor). I have a 150 hp on mine and it works well in Belize waters. My friend has a SeaPro the same size. It obviously has a lot more attention to detail on hatches, live wells etc...but for 2.5 times the price...I'll stick to the basics. Unless I win the lottery. Hank

637 class fast attack submarines are nice for tech diving 'cuz you can lock in at 400' and do your deco dry. They also have pretty good vittles. I'm not sure there's any left though.

This is my dream dive boat, but the 'Newton' Dan has is way out of my price range, however it is a perfect dive boat.

Dan, do you mind telling us what is the base price of the 'Newton'?

dab:
I am seriously considering the purchase of a boat for technical diving. I would like to hear from fellow divers or boat owners who can suggest some boat makes and models that lend themselves to conversion for diving use. Specifically I am using the following critera:
- Approx 24 to 26' to facilitate trailering with a max beam of 8 1/2'
- Large open stern area for tank/gear storage and suiting up
- Forward cabin area with hard top an v berth
-Ability to handle rough water
-On board head
-Good fuel capacity
-Prefer I/O, but inboard is ok
-Swim platform

I realize this won't be cheap, but I am serious about pursuing this. Any make/model suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

My dream boat is the 28 ft Parker with the pilot house. Its a no - nonsense work boat that would be very adaptable to diving. Here's a link to their 25 deep V walk around cuddy.

http://www.parkerboats.net/pages/boat_detail.jsp?boatid=12

As far as trailering, I owned a 25 Aquasport Cuddy for ten years and had no problem trailering it with a standard 2 wheel drive 1/2 ton pu. I don't see the problem with trailering if you're willing to take your time and be patient. With a boat that long, you just need plenty of room to back it down. Fortunately, I had a couple of ramps with lots of room close to the house. It was a little nerve racking to go long distances with it, but not out of the question if you're willing to take it easy and be careful.

You may want to take a look at an old Stamas 26' Sportfisherman (late 70's to early 80's). Built like a tank, handles rough water well, cabin with galley, v-berth and head, and lots of deck space. Weighs in at about 5500 lbs. dry. It does have and eng. hatch in front of the transom, but actually made a great seat for putting on the gear before going in. You should be able to find one refit with a new I/O in the $15-25k range. Avoid any with the original OMC drives, especially twins (absolutely no room to work between engines, among other problems). I can send you some pictures if you like.

Still miss the ol' girl, made a great dive platform, just got tired of the old OMC's... (Old Mechanical Crap)

frogman_5@netzero.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom