Dive Boat suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C-Dory boats do not have a very high cruise speed. Leaning toward a trawler.

Tom Winters:
You'll have more success looking up "C-Dory". Their owners are almost as fanatical as Boston Whaler owners but not nearly as rabid - any C-Dory owner will gladly talk your ear off for hours as they expound upon the joys of their vessel. Most excellent, seaworthy boats. They're very hard to find used in the southeast as they are manufactured up in Washington state.

Thanks. Must be why I couldn't locate anything sea dory :).

I bought a Parker 21' Sport Cabin last season, and can highly recommend the Parker line. I'll be fitting it for diving the wrecks off the Jersey shore this season. It handles the chop well, has a roomy cockpit and the pilothouse really makes for a comfortable day on the water. You can even extend the season with the protection it gives. I also looked at the fishing boats before making my purchase. Hardtops are nice, but they can't beat a pilothouse (IMHO) for comfort.

js1:
I bought a Parker 21' Sport Cabin last season, and can highly recommend the Parker line. I'll be fitting it for diving the wrecks off the Jersey shore this season. It handles the chop well, has a roomy cockpit and the pilothouse really makes for a comfortable day on the water. You can even extend the season with the protection it gives. I also looked at the fishing boats before making my purchase. Hardtops are nice, but they can't beat a pilothouse (IMHO) for comfort.

I have pretty much decided on a 26' Shamrock, and they also have a pilot house. I also am hooked on them. What modifications are you making to the interior? Any pictures would be great!! Thanks.

I have a question, are you planning on buying new or used? Diving can be rough on a new
boat and with today's prices I would consider a used boat. Two friends and I (who all own boats already) split a Boston Whaler 22 Guardian, easy to trailer, low freeboard and pretty quick.Used hull and used power being sold by a rural police force. There is no cabin, If you were willing to think used my first boat was a 2350 slickcraft. It has a cabin was trailerable and they are numerous on the great lakes. You could find one and rebuild the power for peace of mind and still be under 10,000 with the elec. Hope this helps. This my first post as I have just found this site, it seems like there is a wealth of information here.
Jim D

Parker makes great hulls - I drove a cabin-topped 25' with a single 200hp Yamaha for a while for one of the Oahu shops. It was a terrific hull, but the owners never put any kind of decent ladder on the stern. Plus they had a single center bench for gear - I hate this arrangement. Yes, I know you need two benches along the gunwales, but it opens up the whole cockpit. After I left, the owners cut the whole cabin off and painted the hull bright blue, and did a damn poor job of it at that.
They will answer to BoatGod for that desecration...
Your 21' could get pretty crowded with 6 divers unless you really rig it out correctly. By the end of the trip, you'll all be uh, pretty close with all that gear you guys need for the deep stuff up there...
The Shamrock 26 will be a great dive boat. Albin and Shamrock make some fine boats with fierce owner loyalty.

Jim D.:
I have a question, are you planning on buying new or used? Diving can be rough on a new
boat and with today's prices I would consider a used boat. Two friends and I (who all own boats already) split a Boston Whaler 22 Guardian, easy to trailer, low freeboard and pretty quick.Used hull and used power being sold by a rural police force. There is no cabin, If you were willing to think used my first boat was a 2350 slickcraft. It has a cabin was trailerable and they are numerous on the great lakes. You could find one and rebuild the power for peace of mind and still be under 10,000 with the elec. Hope this helps. This my first post as I have just found this site, it seems like there is a wealth of information here.
Jim D

I am looking only at used. Shamrock quit making the 26' Mackinaw in 1999. Thanks for the advice on the Slickcraft, I'll check 'em out. I may be headed out to MA to look at a Shamrock next weekend. I prefer the pilot house for the Great Lakes. I have had some concern in making the transition to an inboard, but I think I'm beyond that.
Thanks.

dab:
I am looking only at used. Shamrock quit making the 26' Mackinaw in 1999. Thanks for the advice on the Slickcraft, I'll check 'em out. I may be headed out to MA to look at a Shamrock next weekend. I prefer the pilot house for the Great Lakes. I have had some concern in making the transition to an inboard, but I think I'm beyond that.
Thanks.

Good luck with shopping. I think you will be pleased with this style. Very cool. The comments about diving being hard on a boat are very true. Make sure you source a gel coat repair kit in the proper color. Your well meaning friends will tear up you boat and feel bad, but nonetheless, it happens. Add some fold-down roll control tank brackets, dive ladder, a few impact mats here and there, and wahoo! (a nice Raymarine color gps-mapping/autopilot/radar/sonar setup too) as they say -"If you are going to take a bath, fill the tub."

I found the restrictions on a unobstructed view from the helm took some getting used to (Seasport has three forward facing windows). Don't sweat it, you will compensate. Watch hitting you head on the top of the door frame running in and out of the pilot -house too.

get out the checkbook........................:eyebrow:

You should take a look at the Shamrock owners message board http://www.fishtheclassic.net/home.php
There is alot of useful information as wellas a for sale board.
The newer Shamrocks don't have a full keel, you may want to find out when they stoped making the full keel models.

Good luck
John

H2O lover:
You should take a look at the Shamrock owners message board http://www.fishtheclassic.net/home.php
There is alot of useful information as wellas a for sale board.
The newer Shamrocks don't have a full keel, you may want to find out when they stoped making the full keel models.

Good luck
John

Thanks. I have been all over that board and gotten lots of good advice.

Back
Top Bottom