Dive boat configurations pluses and minuses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know anything about boats except diving from them. Based only on the photos, I like that last one the best.
Dive boats in Greece tend to be pretty spartan. Often converted Greek fishing boats. But I'll do my best to make customers comfortable. Hopefully will be able to upgrade after a few years to a much nicer boat.

"To all the boat captains, dive op owners, instructors/DMs who worked off different boats,"

I'm not any of the above but I'd like to offer some input as a customer. The dive boats they use in Grand Cayman at Ocean Frontiers (on the East End) have the tanks set up on the perimeter, and in between each set of two tanks is an individual rinse bucket for each diver. It's a cool perk and much appreciated.

Also, the dive boat Patrice and Frank have at Pacific Rim in Kona is all metal and the tanks are set up on the perimeter. The cool think they have is a shelf underneath the bench - and on that shelf things stay dry - stuff doesn't drain into that area. Again, a really nice perk.

I know we have to keep profit in mind or you can't stay in business. But if you're able to incorporate nice little perks to keep the customers happy it MIGHT mean you'll get more repeat business as well as better tips for your crew, resulting in less turnover and better profits in the long run.

Newton, Newton, Newton. Best dive boats of the size you're interested that I've ever seen. 42 ft twin screw turbo diesel. Capacity is a bit bigger than you're looking for but I wouldn't put 30 divers on one anyway ... way too crowded.

Not sure if this is practical or even feasible, but have you considered a lift? I'm assuming your customer base will be predominantly recreational, but a lift may be quite attractive for tech divers or people who otherwise struggle with conventional ladders. Very popular selling point for UK charters.

View attachment 546733

To all other fat lazy Americans...
Do we have these yet?

To all other fat lazy Americans...
Do we have these yet?
3 in the US that I know of, all tech boats. The Coast Guard considers these an elevator, so they aren’t allowed on inspected vessels (unless they meet all of the safety requirements of a marine elevator, of course).

As has been stated, the vast majority of UK boats now have lifts.

These are loved by all, from the new diver to the technical diver. It is very nice not to have to climb a ladder in stages and twins (doubles), or CCR.
One big bonus is if you need to recover a casualty from the water, even unconscious, it is a reasonable easy operation. Unlike par buckling a casualty back on board.

They are fitted both to the smaller hardboat's, and the liveaboard's (often converted trawlers).

However, the UK restriction is 12 divers + crew. (The crew may just be the skipper). Most American boats appear to have far more paying customers on board.

However, the UK restriction is 12 divers + crew. (The crew may just be the skipper). Most American boats appear to have far more paying customers on board.
If there was a break at 12 that Americans could easily exploit, a lot more boats would have diver lifts. Our break is at 6, and the break at 12 only applies to larger vessels, over 100 GRT, which opens up a whole new can of worms.

If I were ever to get back in, it would be with a 12 pack over 100 tons with a diver lift.

If there was a break at 12 that Americans could easily exploit, a lot more boats would have diver lifts. Our break is at 6, and the break at 12 only applies to larger vessels, over 100 GRT, which opens up a whole new can of worms.

If I were ever to get back in, it would be with a 12 pack over 100 tons with a diver lift.
If you were ever to get back in, you should let some of us know :)

3 in the US that I know of, all tech boats. The Coast Guard considers these an elevator, so they aren’t allowed on inspected vessels (unless they meet all of the safety requirements of a marine elevator, of course).
At least one in Canada. The Hurst Isle at God's Pocket. Makes getting back onto the boat in a drysuit a pleasure

I wonder if we could just use a big trawler net...

Kind of like a scuba hammock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom