Dive boat configurations pluses and minuses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about this?
Screenshot_20191025-002848_Facebook.jpg

Only if it’s calm. If the boat is rocking, when you’re live boating, most people get slung sideways on them and catch a rung in the breastbone.
Is it feasible to switch ladders easily by loosening/retightening some bolts?

Not sure if this is practical or even feasible, but have you considered a lift? I'm assuming your customer base will be predominantly recreational, but a lift may be quite attractive for tech divers or people who otherwise struggle with conventional ladders. Very popular selling point for UK charters.

View attachment 546733
Probably not out of the gate. I do have a list of all "modern" shipwrecks (basically around independence, 1830-ish and newer) in a document written in Greek. No one provides technical guiding to these wrecks and I do think that would appeal to a number of divers. I won't be offering trimix right away. Need to get established first. But I can see value in such a lift for that. But that would require a really successful business.

Not sure if this is practical or even feasible, but have you considered a lift? I'm assuming your customer base will be predominantly recreational, but a lift may be quite attractive for tech divers or people who otherwise struggle with conventional ladders. Very popular selling point for UK charters.

View attachment 546733

How reliable are they and would they need constant servicing? I saw that many of the dive boats in the UK have them when I was there earlier this year.

How reliable are they and would they need constant servicing? I saw that many of the dive boats in the UK have them when I was there earlier this year.
I could (have) designed one that is simple, reasonable cost ( my enclosed ladder for the new boat was $1800, so it isn’t hard to do something more reasonable), safe, and made with off the shelf parts. It doesn’t have to be rocket surgery, just a little ingenuity.

I'd swear they didn't get these made in Louisiana but hard to argue.

The seats aren't metal, but fibreglass. As a princess and the pea type, I like that, especially in the "lounge" area, where there are cushions on the fibreglass seats.

Lots of Newtons all the way over here in the Middle Heat makes it seem it would be easy to ship a Newton the short drive up to Canuckistan.

The tricabin design is awful as a dive boat. Just no no no (I had a 34ft tricabin)

Issues with this boat and one's like it:
Too many people on that top deck and stability will suck
too many people or gear on that top deck and it risks caving in
The reverse chine hull is stiff
the aft deck is tiny
access from the water to the aft deck is dreadful
swim step is on brackets and wont support heavy divers
The aft cabin is down from the after deck then back up to the main cabin
engine access is poor and under the main salon
does not handle swell well and has a very wet ride
slow slow slow (9knots on a good day - downwind)

I could go on, but you need a dive boat with actual structural strength and good seakeeping. Ps that boat was made in 1979 and hasnt had an upgrade since. It needs 100+K worth of work
Noted. Here are some better options:
1987 Custom Westcoaster Charter 58’ Dive Vessel, Airlie Beach Australia - boats.com. Problem is getting it over to the Med.
2014 Superyacht Luxury Cruise Dive, Thailand - boats.com. Dream on Kosta! Not a problem getting it over to the Med. Just the price.
1997 Custom Aganthur Vedette Plongée, Saint-Cyprien France - boats.com. In the Med, but more than what I was hoping to pay. Things in Europe are taxed in ridiculous amounts, so it may be par for the course. Something to track. Fortunately, I'm not in a rush.
1998 Workboat Cantiere Navale FM Cala Won, Monte Argentario Italy - boats.com. This one is more reasonable, and sailing over from Italy is not a big deal. This could be a good starter boat and once the business gets going, then upgrade the boat.

I don't know anything about boats except diving from them. Based only on the photos, I like that last one the best.

Back
Top Bottom