Dive boat configurations pluses and minuses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@chillyinCanada,

That's a beautiful boat. A little smaller (for 16 divers max, 12 customers, 4 staff) and we are good to go.

@BurhanMuntasser,

You dive a rebreather? I have a general location of the location of ancient shipwrecks that I will search for. I'll eventually be providing helium. I'll have a pair of Suex dive scooters. We search until we hit our planned end of the dive or we find something.

@Graeme Fraser,

There is one liveaboard company in Greece (I know the owner) that uses a Cat. The Aegean can be pretty angry in August. In the 90's when they still had the rust bucket ferries, I was laying down on the deck while all these people around me were hurling over the side. The sound of all that made me a little nauseous to be honest.

I'm thinking of the Kyklades, around Naxos. It is the biggest of the islands in the area, much greener than the surrounding islands due to it being relatively higher peak (wife wants this), fairly developed (wife wants this). Nothing is set in stone. I have a potential partner line up, but sooooooo much needs to be worked out in the contract and reaching a true understanding of how things will work. There's a long process to know what I'm getting into before I pull the trigger. My potential partner and I have agreed on stages as we get established.

Marketing will either be a challenge or a cinch. It all depends on if I can pull off this film project with one of the Cousteau grandchildren.

Thanks, hope it's helpful. I just want to be sure which bost you are talking about as I provided two different boats.

@BurhanMuntasser,

You dive a rebreather? I have a general location of the location of ancient shipwrecks that I will search for. I'll eventually be providing helium. I'll have a pair of Suex dive scooters. We search until we hit our planned end of the dive or we find something.

No, not yet. There is no reason for it in Libya so far.

Thanks, hope it's helpful. I just want to be sure which bost you are talking about as I provided two different boats.
Ah, sorry, I glossed over that. I thought they were the same boat from Belize (CHARTERS | amigosdivebelize). The Papa Changa looks about right I think. The Maldives boat looks huge. Nice, but too big. But the image is helpful in terms of an open space and people comfortably to sit/kit up along the side.

Ah, sorry, I glossed over that. I thought they were the same boat from Belize (CHARTERS | amigosdivebelize). The Papa Changa looks about right I think. The Maldives boat looks huge. Nice, but too big. But the image is helpful in terms of an open space and people comfortably to sit/kit up along the side.

Yes, the Maldives boat, I only provided because of the way it's laid out. The funny looking thing with squares is actually a shelving type unit with cubbies in it. We put our tshirts, towels, water bottles etc. in a cubby (anything not going with us) stayed dry but Papa Changa has a good system too, near the ceiling over everyone's head. Anyway, that's for dry stuff, wetstuff can go in floor bins or anywhere else.

The Maldives boat looks huge.

But we can setup a corner for the Shawarma, coffee and Baklawa stand in the big boat, more business and more money. I'll bet you that will be the real money making corner!!!

But we can setup a corner for the Shawarma, coffee and Baklawa stand in the big boat, more business and more money. I'll bet you that will be the real money making corner!!!

There is something to be said about that. While it is illegal to create artificial reefs in Greece, if accidentally (I have noooooo idea how this would happen) that a bunch of replicas of ancient Greek amphorae would up in a shallow site, creating habitat for fish, octopus, morays, etc., then having afternoon trips for snorkeling and eating would help with boat utilization.

... the perimeter .... vs. having benches back to back ....
Depends if it's outboards or inboard engine. Gotta check all fluids in the morning before start up. If you have a cat diesel with floor door you can't have center tank rack. Also tanks and people are heavy and the benches need solid support. Center mount means you have only the floor which will weaken over time. Perimeter gives you both the floor and side gunnels to mount to, decreasing the load stress. When a 250lb diver with 100lbs of gear crashes down on the bench because of the wave action, that bench is gonna stress it's bolts.
P.S. Old folks love christmas tree ladders, not enclosed ladders.

Depends if it's outboards or inboard engine. Gotta check all fluids in the morning before start up. If you have a cat diesel with floor door you can't have center tank rack. Also tanks and people are heavy and the benches need solid support. Center mount means you have only the floor which will weaken over time. Perimeter gives you both the floor and side gunnels to mount to, decreasing the load stress. When a 250lb diver with 100lbs of gear crashes down on the bench because of the wave action, that bench is gonna stress it's bolts.
P.S. Old folks love christmas tree ladders, not enclosed ladders.
@Johnoly

Thanks. I'll most likely have a diesel engine. Good point on support. And yes, christmas tree ladders are the way to go.

I hate Christmas tree ladders with every fiber of my being.

I hate Christmas tree ladders with every fiber of my being.
And why is that? Easier for getting out of the water with fins on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom