Dive boat configurations pluses and minuses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
[Mods: this is probably the wrong place, please move to the appropriate forum]

To all the boat captains, dive op owners, instructors/DMs who worked off different boats,

What are the tradeoffs between the configuration of having scuba kits mounted to the perimeter of the inside of a boat and the center being open vs. having benches back to back in the center of the boat for the scuba kits?

The purpose of this question is to help me make a decision for my future dive op in the Greek islands. Boat needs to handle some swell, up to 6 meters (though I won't put in customers in that). Because the islands are small, I may need to get through some chop to get to the leeward side of land to find some calm. But in general, my customer will enjoy a nice relaxing boat ride to/from the dive sites.

Edit: This would be for at most 12 customers with at most 4 pros leading (so 1:3 ratio).

[Mods: this is probably the wrong place, please move to the appropriate forum]

To all the boat captains, dive op owners, instructors/DMs who worked off different boats,

What are the tradeoffs between the configuration of having scuba kits mounted to the perimeter of the inside of a boat and the center being open vs. having benches back to back in the center of the boat for the scuba kits?

The purpose of this question is to help me make a decision for my future dive op in the Greek islands. Boat needs to handle some swell, up to 6 meters (though I won't put in customers in that). Because the islands are small, I may need to get through some chop to get to the leeward side of land to find some calm. But in general, my customer will enjoy a nice relaxing boat ride to/from the dive sites.
Well, on a 25 foot wide boat they are both in the middle and along the outside. Although some 25 foot wide boats have 2 sets back to back with a walkway down the middle and both outside edges.

I don't think it matters. When I was running a 8 pack boat in St. Lucia, we had tank racks in the middle and benches down the side of a panga and folks grabbed their gear out of the middle and sat on the benches to gear up.

A lot of space in the middle (benches around the perimeter) allows you to put large things like a hurt diver (God forbid) in the big space with lots of room to get around them.

Whatever you do, don't forget as big of a camera table and rinse bins as space allows.

@Wookie

Good point on the hurt diver. The one thing about Greece is that due to the sponge divers, the Hellenic Coast Guard has pressurized helicopters for transporting injured divers. The country is small enough that a fast helicopter can go from the eastern Aegean to Athens in about an hour.

Noted on the big camera table and rinse buckets. I'd like to provide a table for snacks (watermelon of course, and baked goods, coffee).

I was thinking of less stuff in the middle for easier socializing, etc.. I'll be using small coves for confined water sessions, so at times, I'll be taking someone's family along for a day at a secluded beach to hang out, swim, etc. while that someone has their CW lessons.

Thanks, this helps.

From a stability perspective, would it be beneficial to keep the load along the centerline as much as possible?

From a stability perspective, would it be beneficial to keep the load along the centerline as much as possible?
I don't think it will make that much of a difference. Plus I will avoid really rough water. My thoughts are something like this, but not exactly:
Trader - Trader Trawler 39 Motor Boat for sale in Greece | Boatshop24
with significant modifications of course: good platform for getting in and out of the water. Places for people to lounge around in front and behind. Good open areas for people to be comfortable.

A lot of space in the middle (benches around the perimeter) allows you to put large things like a hurt diver (God forbid) in the big space with lots of room to get around them.

I think perimeter seating enhances the social nature of diving because everybody can see each other. That’s part of the fun...getting to know other folks. Also, the DM has better eye contact with all the divers during the brief to gauge who’s paying attention, who’s nervous, who may have questions, etc. Also, during DM Q&A, everybody can see who’s raising their hands in response to questions, etc.

I think a mostly uncluttered centerline will allow customers to hang their wetsuits during the interval, too.

I think perimeter seating enhances the social nature of diving because everybody can see each other. That’s part of the fun...getting to know other folks.

Yes, that's one of my goals is to have an inviting, relaxed atmosphere where people get to know each other. One of the things about diving in Greece is that it isn't a destination, unless you are diving one of the famous wrecks. But that's technical diving (exception being the Roman wreck just opened off Alonissos). Recreational diving is just an additional pastime while enjoying a holiday in the Greek islands. A little diversion if you will.

Also, the DM has better eye contact with all the divers during the brief to gauge who’s paying attention, who’s nervous, who may have questions, etc. Also, during DM Q&A, everybody can see who’s raising their hands in response to questions, etc.

Great point. Because my customers will mostly be vacation divers, typically older, I need to be cognizant. One reason why I want small ratios for guiding (all diving in Greece is guided with some exceptions).

I think a mostly uncluttered centerline will allow customers to hang their wetsuits during the interval, too.

Another good point. I need to think about how to store gear out of the way so customers don't feel crowded and can lounge about more easily.

I think perimeter seating enhances the social nature of diving because everybody can see each other. That’s part of the fun...getting to know other folks. Also, the DM has better eye contact with all the divers during the brief to gauge who’s paying attention, who’s nervous, who may have questions, etc. Also, during DM Q&A, everybody can see who’s raising their hands in response to questions, etc.

Yeah, I agree... until the first customer starts puking... then it spreads like bad flu. :popcorn:

Yeah, I agree... until the first customer starts puking... then it spreads like bad flu. :popcorn:
Hahahahahaha!!!

Yeah, Turkish coffee and Baklawa will be great idea. Can I come?
You mean Arab coffee? No such thing as Greek or Turkish coffee. You're always welcome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom