Dive Alert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfisher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi folks,

Ya know, I been reading a few threads here and there about people getting left behind when the boat goes back to shore, or we'll say, just misplaced due to various mishaps. Sometimes it's inept dive crews, which usually get weeded out. Sometimes it's diver error and sometimes it just happens.

Being a relatively new diver (certified in 1969) I just purchased a Dive Alert for attachment to my LP hose. I don't know. Maybe I'm just getting cautious and want to make sure I have the equipment to help save my life. Maybe I'm getting scared I might die on the surface. It really doesn't matter. At $50 or a bit less it's cheap life insurance as far as I'm concerned.

Has anybody else ever given these things a look? It's like a little air horn that connects between your LP hose and inflator hose.

I have one, and actually used it once in Coz when I came up early on a drift dive and the boat didn't see me.

It works great!

Check it and make sure you have the one where the instructions say to submerge your head while using it (they aren't kidding). There are a couple of underwater versions that sound like a duck quacking, and are worthless on the surface.

The one you want makes a horrible very loud high-piched screech that will make you deaf for a while if set off near your head.

Terry

bfisher:
Hi folks,

Ya know, I been reading a few threads here and there about people getting left behind when the boat goes back to shore, or we'll say, just misplaced due to various mishaps. Sometimes it's inept dive crews, which usually get weeded out. Sometimes it's diver error and sometimes it just happens.

Being a relatively new diver (certified in 1969) I just purchased a Dive Alert for attachment to my LP hose. I don't know. Maybe I'm just getting cautious and want to make sure I have the equipment to help save my life. Maybe I'm getting scared I might die on the surface. It really doesn't matter. At $50 or a bit less it's cheap life insurance as far as I'm concerned.

Has anybody else ever given these things a look? It's like a little air horn that connects between your LP hose and inflator hose.

I will be picking one up before my trip to the gulf. I do not think I will need it but you never know.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. Just don't test it before your dive with a boatload of people. They're loud and such a maneuver would certainly tag you as a novice, certified in '69 or not.

I must agree with you. Sometimes things just happen that you can't predict. However, I think if you're conscientious about whom you chose to book your diving with, even in other countries, you can greatly reduce your chances for mishap. I'm not suggesting the purchase of a Dive Alert is overboard, absolutely not at all. I'm just suggesting a preventative approach.

cheers!

I had one but I took it off. I didn't like the additional stiffness it added to my hose.

I have had one for years and have used it several times to get the boats attention, how critical it was we'll never know because the boat heard the "whistle" and came and picked me up. Some boats require them and I won't dive without one. I also carry a cyalume, fox whistle, and mirror.

Don't forget your SMB.

Hey, LukieDukie
It's not a bad idea in the Gulf. It can get a bit rough at times. Also, be sure to have your "safety sausage". If you don't have one, the crew will provide one, though. In fact, they'll insist that you hand over your C-card and give you one, if you don't have your own. Of course, they'll trade back at the end of the trip.
Getting left behind on the trip you're about to take would be a NEAR impossibility. They'll log you in the water, log you out, check on you 15 minutes later and even do another head count before leaving the site. They are extremely careful.
Still, it is possible to come up away from the boat. Having the whistle and sausage will make it a lot easier for the crew to come get you with the Zodiac should this happen. Will you be on the Fling or Spree?

Al Mialkovsky:
I had one but I took it off. I didn't like the additional stiffness it added to my hose.
I agree, but I didn't take mine off. I have an Air2 and the Dive Alert makes it really hard to use. I suppose I could get an octopus and solve that problem, but then I would miss out on the ostracism from Air2 haters.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom