Dive Alert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet:
I understood the drysuit part, not the part after: " you can clip the hose and horn off to a d-ring." How will it work if it's not connected to the hose on my bc? Or do I just attach it at the surface if I need it?

It fits on the drysuit hose regardless of whether you're wearing a drysuit.

If you're not wearing a drysuit, you can zip-tie a snap-bolt to the air horn, to clip it off to your BC so it doesn't flop around and catch on things and drag in the sand.

Terry

Just, please, don't use it u.w. to say "look - another lionfish".

Charlie99:
To paraphrase FairyBasslet -- "HUH?!?"

The DiveAlert works nicely inline with the BCD or wing power inflator. If you are so concerned about eliminating failure points that you choose not to leave it connected inline, then you shouldn't be diving with a drysuit hose still connected when diving with a wetsuit. Having the extra hose connected and relying upon the end fitting to not leak is a lot more prone to a failure that causes loss of gas than is connecting the Dive Alert inline.

In an emergency you may be assisting another diver and stopping to fiddle around and connect the Dive Alert is something that you shouldn't be wasting time doing.

I'm not so concerned about possibility of leak of the unused hose, and Dive Alert would be ready connected to it so what's the HUH about? I'm not doing any Cave or Tec Diving on holidays, just normal Rec diving and compared to Ice diving and Freeflow under ice it's no big deal having leaking LP hose anyway.:D

I don't have a dry suit, so I don't have a dry suit hose. I bought the surface dive alert, not the uw quacker, in case I need to get a boat's attention. I also have a mirror, a sausage and a smb. Also a whistle. I believe in redundancy.:D
So, I still don't know how to get around the stiffness the DA makes of the hose. Unless there is no way around it, which I think I can live with.

I'm quite surprised to find such interest in the Dive Alert. It shows that some people are really safety conscious. Good for you all. A couple guys got off track a bit talking about dry suits, but I find that educational as well, although I do not own nore plan to dive cold.

I like a couple suggestions about briefing the boat crew about it's use. Good suggestion. I'll remember that.

I'd like to add that although I'm fairly new to diving (again) I got my first cert in 1969. Safequards such as in place today were not much required. Oh, we had the buddy system and limited NDC depths and times, but there is much more emphasis on safety today.

Because of a 30+ year layoff I took a full course again a couple years ago. I'm almost 59 now and care to live long enough to run myself out of money. I'm right at 100 dives for 2 years and all of them in the warm waters of Florida and south. One of these days I'm going to move that way just to cut down on airfare.

I'm aware that most all dive ops do a log-in prior to diving and most all do so after the dive, too. There is always that one that may screw up. Who knows. Or it might be me---goodness.

Long life and good diving to all. Thankyou.

bfisher:
I'm quite surprised to find such interest in the Dive Alert. It shows that some people are really safety conscious. Good for you all. A couple guys got off track a bit talking about dry suits, but I find that educational as well, although I do not own nore plan to dive cold.

If you're referring to my post, I think you missed the point. It has nothing to do with drysuits.
  • You don't need to have a drysuit to have a drysuit hose. It's just a place to plug in an air-powered device, like having a cigarrete lighter outlet in your car when you don't smoke, but do have a cell phone with a 12v power cord.
  • I recommended putting it on the drysuit hose instead of the BC inflator hose because it makes oral inflation and breathing off an Air-2 more difficult (it makes about 6" of the corrugated BC hose non-bendable).
Terry

I also have an Air2 (Tusa Duo Air) and have a Dive Alert connected to it. I ran into the same problem as fairybasslet with my hose being too stiff. It was very difficult to breath on my octo until I removed the LP inflator hose from my shoulder velcro loop. This allows the LP inflator hose to move freely but with the BC hose still in the shoulder velcro loop it keeps everything where it needs to be. It's still not perfect, no Air2 configuration is in my opinion, but I still like the idea of one less hose and always knowing where my octo is. But please, lets not start another pro/con air2 thread.

Web Monkey:
If you're referring to my post, I think you missed the point. It has nothing to do with drysuits.
  • You don't need to have a drysuit to have a drysuit hose. It's just a place to plug in an air-powered device, like having a cigarrete lighter outlet in your car when you don't smoke, but do have a cell phone with a 12v power cord.
  • I recommended putting it on the drysuit hose instead of the BC inflator hose because it makes oral inflation and breathing off an Air-2 more difficult (it makes about 6" of the corrugated BC hose non-bendable).
Terry

Gotcha!!!!!!!!! I understand better now. Never thought of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom