DIR Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Anchor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, I have read the "What is DIR" sticky and browsed the rest of the threads in this forum, but I still have a few questions.

Is DIR diving technical diving only or can you dive DIR recreationsal?

Are wreck and cave diving automaticly DIR? Do you need DIR to dive wrecks and caves?

What is AG-DIR and how is it different from GUE-DIR?

As I understand DIR principles, DIR and DORK diving are nor conflicting dive styles. You can wear any colored gear you want with the exception of specific safety gear. Correct?

I have seen DIRF mentioned a couple of times in various threads, it seems to me that DIRF is the fundamentals course of DIR. Yes?

I noticed someone mentioned Cave1/Tech1. Is this a level of training? How high do the levels go? What would be the diference between Cave1 and Cave2?

AS you can probably tell, I am just starting to look at DIR, so if anyone has any usefull links on DIR diving, the requirements, course content, ect. I would love to have a look. Feel free to PM me if yo dont want to clutter up the thread with links to other sites.

Thank you all.

THe Anchor:
Ok, I have read the "What is DIR" sticky and browsed the rest of the threads in this forum, but I still have a few questions.
Oh, this should be fun ...

THe Anchor:
Is DIR diving technical diving only or can you dive DIR recreational?
DIR can be used for both technical and recreational diving. It is also commonly used for cyber diving.

THe Anchor:
Are wreck and cave diving automaticly DIR? Do you need DIR to dive wrecks and caves?
No and no ...

THe Anchor:
AG-DIR is what used to be DIR. The main difference is that AG-DIR divers use X-scooters, while GUE-DIR divers use Gavin scooters.

THe Anchor:
As I understand DIR principles, DIR and DORK diving are not conflicting dive styles. You can wear any colored gear you want with the exception of specific safety gear. Correct?
More or less ... although wearing a pink harness is generally considered a Rule #6 violation and can make it difficult for you to find dive buddies ... especially if you're a guy ... :11:

THe Anchor:
I have seen DIRF mentioned a couple of times in various threads, it seems to me that DIRF is the fundamentals course of DIR. Yes?
DIR-F is where people learn the difference between what they read on Internet forums and what DIR actually involves ...

THe Anchor:
I noticed someone mentioned Cave1/Tech1. Is this a level of training? How high do the levels go? What would be the diference between Cave1 and Cave2?
Cave 1 and Tech 1 are actually two different classes. They are, respectively, the introduction to technical diving techniques for diving in caves and for doing decompression dives. Think of them as parallel paths to different types of technical diving. Cave 2 and Tech 2 are the respective follow-on classes. The levels go to 3. I'm not cave certified, so I can't answer your last question.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

See Bob...If fun to dance with trolls. :wink:

Is DIR diving technical diving only or can you dive DIR recreationsal?

As Bob says, there's nothing inherently technical about DIR diving. The system works quite well for recreational use, but allows easy extension into technical diving, should one eventually decide to do that.

Wreck penetration and cave diving are automatically technical diving (overhead). There are several agencies that teach technical diving and have differing approaches to the training sequence and to the procedures and gases. GUE is only one of those.

This is a schism in the DIR world and WAY too much to go into, nor will it matter to you unless you get deeply involved in DIR.

As I understand DIR principles, DIR and DORK diving are nor conflicting dive styles. You can wear any colored gear you want with the exception of specific safety gear. Correct?

Well, I've got a blue and white drysuit with black pockets and a bright orange wing, and they still let me in their classes :) Seriously, although the stereotype of DIR divers is the "men in black", there are no requirements for color.

Yes. DIR-F, or GUE Fundamentals as it is now labelled, is the training in entry-level skills.

Go to the GUE site Jeff gave you the link for and look at GUE Training. The course requirements and material covered are listed in detail for each of the levels of training.

AS you can probably tell, I am just starting to look at DIR, so if anyone has any usefull links on DIR diving, the requirements, course content, ect. I would love to have a look. Feel free to PM me if yo dont want to clutter up the thread with links to other sites.

One of the most useful things is to order and read Jablonski's book, "Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving." It's more extensive and expansive than the essays he has on the GUE website. There are a number of websites which are informative as well, and if you're interested, PM me and I'll look for the URLs.

If you are really interested in DIR, the very best way to learn about it is to dive with DIR divers. You have a couple in Vancouver -- Jeckyll and Creamofwheat are two I know about. You might PM them and see about getting together to chat or to dive.

In a nutshell:
Tech1 = Introduction to technical (decompression) diving. Liberal use of helium compared to other agencies. One deco gas, roughly 160-170ft depth, 30mins of deco limits.

Tech2 = "Full trimix" no deco limitations. 2 or more deco gasses, no depth or time limits except common sense

Tech3 = Experience based class, rarely taught.

Cave1 = Introduction to cave diving. Limited penetrations, no exploration, limited navigation, no scooters, no stages

Cave2 = "Full cave" no penetration limits, no depth, time, or navigation limits except common sense

Cave3 = Experience based class conducting exploration on scooters, rarely taught.

i'm new so don't be alarmed, but other than the style of rigging how exactly does dir differ from what i was taught in ow at the Y? there was much emphasis on buddy work, boyance and trim.
could someone possibly just give me the readers digest version (short,sweet & to the point)?

WC -- The reader's digest version is the book "DIR: The Fundamentals of Better Diving."

But, if I had to sum up, I'd say "team, equipment, and environment awareness" and "a pre-dive and in-dive decision-making process that utilizes all three in an effective manner to improve the safety and fun of the dive."

watercooled:
i'm new so don't be alarmed, but other than the style of rigging how exactly does dir differ from what i was taught in ow at the Y? there was much emphasis on buddy work, boyance and trim.
could someone possibly just give me the readers digest version (short,sweet & to the point)?
Did you read the sticky post What is DIR? at the top of this forum?

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom