DIR Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John_B:
Did you read the sticky post What is DIR? at the top of this forum?

John
yep, other than the hogarthairian(?) rigging style it sounded a bit like the teachings of my ow class, there was a lot of emphasis on buddy teams, communication, and bouyancy control. i imagine there's someting i'm not understanding, but not sure what i don't see at this point. before i can ask more pointed questions i need a bit more understanding. but from what i've read so far it strikes me as the same philosophies.
keep gear consistant, if it works for you cool, make changes if it doesn't, equipment shouldn't dangle, everything should be right there when needed to avoid unnecessary search work.
keep your buddy close, no more than 3 or 4 kicks away. maintain constant awarness of you and your buddy and communicate alot.
maintain proper bouyancy and trim at all times, wasted effort + excessive work = more air consumed. hands off, look but don't touch. don't silt, so keep your fins off the floor.
what am i not seeing as far as differences?
guess i'm gonna hafta drop in on my local library.

Nobody has said "holistic" yet... Anyone?

Rachel

i read that but i'm not sure how it would apply here. my only exposure to holistic is chinese medicine.

watercooled:
i read that but i'm not sure how it would apply here. my only exposure to holistic is chinese medicine.

Holistic in that the gear itself is only a small part of the DIR equation... The proper mindset, physical fitness and a healthy lifestyle are some of what people here have difficulty grasping.

You will find a bunch of people who have only heard or read about DIR online comment about it. If you really want to find out what it's about look around your local dive spot hopefully you can find some in your area...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom