DIR-Fundies cert card delays...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of very skilled surgeons get way behind on their charts. It would be sad to judge the value of an educational organization on their record-keeping ability. I'd much rather have Steve organizing training dives for his post-Fundies students than sitting at home filling out whatever forms he needs to do for a card!

Jason B:
Again, this is from the agency that you guys think is the top of the chain yet they can't even get the paper work completed correctly.
Doesn't say much the agency in my opinion...(whether the card is needed or not).
Wow! You are right... I guess its time to switch out all the gear and put slobwinders on my tank valves and billy rings on my harness then!:baaa:

Robert Phillips:
Wow! You are right... I guess its time to switch out all the gear and put slobwinders on my tank valves and billy rings on my harness then!:baaa:

Right...
Go drink your Kool-aid.
Hard to find fault when your addicted to the taste.

Maybe they're not that different than most of the dive industy

Why should they care if you have your card??

They have your $$

(yes this is a blatant troll!!) :D

(not really, as trolling is not allowed in this forum)

I do not know if GUE issues temporary cards but if I get a temp card with a time limit on it, and it dictates if I can get certain things eg gas/access (nitrox/trimix/cave) I’d expect to get it before the temp card expires - not a year later!
I took a nitrox course via TDI, temp card expired, trip coming up, and no sign of permit to buy nitrox. Some cards do come handy! (I will get another temp I bet). I can’t believe organizations have to make it so hard for instructors especially in the times of internet applications – at least not for those who pass: Tick the names, confirmation call to headquarters and info should be there to process things, no? Or do they write up a personal essay on every candidate?

DIR fundamentals is only the gateway to the GUE tech and cave classes. You must pass the DIRf to take those classes. A DIRf card has no meaning outside of GUE, nor was it intended to. It would probably have been better if there were no cards for the prep class.

I understand that you want the card.... but you do not need the card. Further, unless you are going to proceed with GUE tech/cave training you didn't even need to *pass* the DIRf.

What you do need, you did receive: a standard to work towards and a skill set to develop and hone.

Which would you rather display: a card or the skill?

Jason B:
Right...
Go drink your Kool-aid.
Hard to find fault when your addicted to the taste.

Kool-Aid... That's funny. I never heard that one before!

As you can see from the previous and later posts, the DIR-F card is not really necessary, and the cards that count: Tech 1, 2 and Triox come in a relatively respectable timeframe. When I proceed with further training through GUE, they know that I have passed Fundies. The card is just a piece of plastic.

You can find fault in the smallest things when the taste disgusts you.

Dive safe,
Robb

Uncle Pug:
What you do need, you did receive: a standard to work towards and a skill set to develop and hone.

Which would you rather display: a card or the skill?

i guess my point was missed? whether the card means anything or not to an individual, professional courtesty dictates that you give the person what is due whether needed or not. at the very least i would at least expect replies to my numerous emails as a form of courtesy as a paying customer. as simple as that.

Spoon:
i guess my point was missed?
Nope... I just think your point was missing the point, and wanted to point that point out. :D

I actually think that the card is silly at best and detremintal at worse. You learned what skills you need to master... now focus on mastering them. The card neither confirms nor confers the mastery of those skills and is therefore not only unnecessary and potentially misleading but also indicates that something has been achieved when in reality, the process has just begun.

At least that is my take on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom