DIR fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robert, a buddy of mine wears FF, he wasn't sure if he liked them or not untill he took them for a week live aboard. He really likes them except that after a dive they absolutely glue themselves to his feet and he simply cannot get them off by himself. Its to the point where he doesn't even try he knows he needs help breaking the seal. He says they are very comfy, and he feels you use different muscles with them.(?) If you want to try them I'll give him a call and I'm sure you can borrow them for a dive. One problem with them that I can see, we make fun of him and call him the Christmas elf, I tell him he should paint them either red or green... so take you pick, transformer, or Christmas elf.

Have him drill a quarter inch hole in the foot pocket as close to the end of the toe pocket as he can get it. That small hole will prevent any suction keeping his foot in the fin.

I was told by a pretty reputable source, that aside from all of the points you are discussing on the various fins, the gentleman who made and runs the FF company can be reached on the phone directly and spoken to as a human ... (im not a FF diver as I use mares volo power and turtles pending on conditions and my legs) this being said, i will certainly consider them for this reason alone in future purchases ... how many of these other companies can say this?

Does this have any impact whatsoever with how the fins perform?

If you decide that you want Jets, there are usually a bunch of them on ebay. I just picked up a pair for $29.00. They are used, but you would never know it. This is my first pair, and I have only tried them in the pool, but I like them so far.

although I would say the FF that best fit the needs of a DIR diver is the Original Material Excellerating FF. this is because they were designed for the frog kick they do wonderfully.

Problem, their not cheap...

Besides the price tag for something as simple as fins, how do they rate in terms of buoyancy? I prefer/need negative fins for my drysuit.

A friend of mine has them, and I'll give them a try when I get the chance, but so far, my jets are all around good performer that satisifies my needs.

I was told by a pretty reputable source, that aside from all of the points you are discussing on the various fins, the gentleman who made and runs the FF company can be reached on the phone directly and spoken to as a human ... (im not a FF diver as I use mares volo power and turtles pending on conditions and my legs) this being said, i will certainly consider them for this reason alone in future purchases ... how many of these other companies can say this?

Yes, its true, in fact even though I have his personnal number, I normally call him at work on the 1-800-Fin-Swim number. Most likely Bliar Mott will answer and a more reputable source of information I think you will have a hard time finding, but if you want to talk to the owner, his name is Bob Evans, ask and Blair will probably connect you.

Besides the price tag for something as simple as fins, how do they rate in terms of buoyancy? I prefer/need negative fins for my drysuit.

A friend of mine has them, and I'll give them a try when I get the chance, but so far, my jets are all around good performer that satisifies my needs.

Well, I am glad that you have found that the Jets satisfies you needs, afterall if the "good enough" criteria is met then everything else is just propaganda. My initial point was to say that their are plenty of others than infact meet the DIR requirements.

As to speak about bouyancy. Most ForceFins are negative, although not nearly as negative as Jets. I don't remember the exact numbers, but from what I recall Jets run over a pound negative each, and although I have never measured the FF, I would guess they are probably just under a pound negative for the pair.

The only FF's that are not negative (that I know of) are the ones with the SD-1 footpocket and even then they are barely positive and my set of SD-1 Militarys are about 1/2 oz postive. But these fins are not really at full public release yet. Although, if you are a Drysuit diver you are going to love them when they are finally released, as they are completely adjustable and VERY comfortable pocket is great to stick you rock boot, tennis shoe, combat boot, or 3mm bootie into.

So...now Force Fins are DIR. Who woulda thunk it.

Three cheers for Dave, for actually diving FFs for a dozen dives before deciding they weren't right for him! I've been diving them for about 9 years, and love them. I can frog kick. I can maneuver all kinds of ways, which is invaluable for photography. I can go fast. I can porpoise, if I want to (probably not a DIR-approved kick). I have red Tan Deltas I use for tropical diving, and Excellerating Force Fins I use with my drysuit. Did I mention I love them?

I wouldn't try to argue with anyone who has given them a fair trial and found that they couldn't do the full range of kicks in them. Different strokes for different folks. Last time I strapped on a pair of Twin Jets, I thought I had a pair of bricks on my feet, but obviously lots of divers swear by them, so it's really a matter of finding equipment that serves =your= needs. What I do find objectionable is when people who haven't tried FFs make pronouncements about whether or not they're any good.

Regarding the guy whose Force Fins were suctioned onto his feet at the end of every dive.... I've never experienced this, but I always wear booties with my FFs. My guess would be that the size is a little small for him. If he ever buys another pair, he might want to try the next size up, with or without the velcro'ed-in "comfort instep."

Of all the criticisms of FFs, the most baffling to me is that they're "ugly." What's ugly about elegant, clean lines? I think they're really quite beautiful, but then again, I find a lot of mass-market fins really unattractive and overdesigned (Mares Volo Power or Sherwood Kinesis, anyone?).

As to speak about bouyancy. Most ForceFins are negative, although not nearly as negative as Jets. I don't remember the exact numbers, but from what I recall Jets run over a pound negative each, and although I have never measured the FF, I would guess they are probably just under a pound negative for the pair.

The only FF's that are not negative (that I know of) are the ones with the SD-1 footpocket and even then they are barely positive and my set of SD-1 Militarys are about 1/2 oz postive. But these fins are not really at full public release yet. Although, if you are a Drysuit diver you are going to love them when they are finally released, as they are completely adjustable and VERY comfortable pocket is great to stick you rock boot, tennis shoe, combat boot, or 3mm bootie into.

I'm asking because this guy is more experienced then me, dives longer then me, but still uses ankle weights with the FF's and a drysuit with similar rubber boots like mine. I don't need them with my jets, but we will switch on one occasion and see how that goes.

OTOH, I fail to see how the new model that's about the be out (and is probably going the be more expensive as is anything with 'military', 'tech' or 'pro' in the name or background), with positive buoyancy characteristics, can suit me as a drysuit diver?

I have spring straps, no need for any adjustments and have no remarks whatsoever for the foot pocket comfort, plus have such size that it fits my DS boot perfectly. I don't really see the cost/benefit analysis there... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom