DIR fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:lol:
He hasn't taken the classes but he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

anyone have any suggestions where to buy a good set of DIR fins? (tec fins) Would like to get a pair that have Spring Straps but I can get those separately if necessary. I already did a search but didn't find anything on the forum. I'm not a DIR diver yet but will need to have a pair by this summer.

thanks in advance.

What the hell are DIR fins....... :rofl3:

Things to consider when buying fins:

-buoyancy of the fin.
-your leg strength.
-diving in current or not.
-Preferred fin kick.
-Drag (dry suit, double tanks).
-Foot pocket size (dry suit boots)

I'm sure there are more that I haven't thought of.
As for statements about a certain fin silting out the bottom. I don't think it matters, If your close to the bottom, then a flutter kick will cause silt. Further from the bottom it won't matter.
Asking what fin to get is like asking what kind of running shoe to buy. There are more similarities than differences. Keep in mind what factors above matter to you, and choose based on that.
They'll all move you you through the water.
I use jets and like them. I've also used Dive Rite fins, Poseidon Forza fins and liked those also. I've used Atomic split fins a number of times, but didn't like them too much many people like them alot however.
It also seems to me that any fin will propel you foward with either a frog kick or a flutter kick. They all work, but for me, I like a heavier and stiffer feel when I kick.
Spring straps are a nice addition to any fin.

Mitch

Quoted from the GUE website:

Stiff blade fins are popular among divers who need to swim quickly, move against strong currents, or push large amounts of equipment through water. Less rigid fins will work when pushing less equipment or when less power is desired. The best practice for divers is to use the same gear all the time. Divers should remove all plastic buckles from their new fins and substitute for them stronger attachment springs.

Non-split fins with spring straps are the only absolute requirements. Most people end up opting for a stiffer blade fin because it makes the kicks easier to do, especially for those people hauling stages and deco bottles. I dove a soft blade fin in Fundies, and when we reviewed the video, I could see how the flexing of the fin was defeating me in learning to frog kick, so I switched to Jets.

But the only stated requirements are non-split fins with springs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom