DIR-F class coming to our NY/NJ/PA area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai once bubbled...
Any reason the skills couldn't be practiced as a confined water excercise? Say at the bottom of warm water at the old local YMCA?

yeah, but that wouldn't be kool, would it... I was expecting the ice water and treacherous snow conditions to add to the challenge of the DIR-F class... you know.. cuz we're hard core Wreck Valley divers and all... lol

:eek:ut:

padiscubapro once bubbled...

Why don't you go to beach 6st.. I have done Plenty of snow dives there... The water will be warmer than the air....

if you stay behind the jettys at 6th or 9th sts you can stay out of the current.. If you hit the tides correctly you can still get to 45 ft without a problem..

good point! I used to go there al the time. And I live in Brooklyn, so I wouldn;t mind, but most of other studetyns are from Philly... I am not sure how they are going to drive down here on time.

Stu said that they will open next weekend (providing it's not going to be snowed in like that), I just not sure what MHK's plans are at this point. But.. he is on the plane already, and I am going to pick him up and see what we decide to do.

VTernovski once bubbled...

yeah, but that wouldn't be kool, would it... I was expecting the ice water and treacherous snow conditions to add to the challenge of the DIR-F class... you know.. cuz we're hard core Wreck Valley divers and all... lol

:eek:ut:

Not cool, but still good training. The other stuff can be added back in later.

VTernovski once bubbled...
Stu said that they will open next weekend (providing it's not going to be snowed in like that), I just not sure what MHK's plans are at this point. But.. he is on the plane already, and I am going to pick him up and see what we decide to do.
He wouldn't happen to be on American Flight 32, would he? :eek:
I have some cousins from Australia coming in on it.
I think they've been circling for two hours now.

It finally landed at 12:46 am.
That's what you need, three hours tacked onto your Australia flight.

Well, here is my DIR-F report…
We were all supposed to meet at 7pm at the McIntosh hotel near DS to do the first day of the DIR-F, which is mostly lectures and dry runs, followed by two days of diving. We were all psyched up for the class and MHK was on the way to NY to teach us everything we need to know about DIR. Then, Viagnehy called me saying that he is snowed in and is not coming to join us for the class. Bummer, I thought, now it’s down to 3 of us, Ken and Ed. Oh well…but no worries, I thought, I have 4x4 and should have no problem, after all, I am from Russia, and the cold and the snow will not stop me from diving. And then, 20 minutes after MHK gets on the plane, I'm getting a call from Stu, the owner of DS, telling me that they are closing the lake for the weekend due to the snowy conditions. Damn! Too late, since MHK is already on the plane. Well, time passes by and the snow is not stopping, so the class is definitely off.. MHK doesn’t even know yet, and I have to pick him up from Newark airport anyway. On well, no class, but I thought it’s cool, I’ll just take him to the Russian Vodka Room, “the attitude adjustment hour” (- that’s their slogan), and the best next thing to ‘diving’ is ‘talking about diving’ so I thought I would make the best of the situation. “Never a dull moment” right? Wrong… I left work early to go to the airport, at 3pm. MHK should be lending at around 4:30, no biggie plenty of time… boy, little did I know, it would take me 3 hours to drive from 20th street in Manhattan to the entry of the Holland Tunnel at Canal street, and then,.. no movement at all from what seemed like an eternity. Lucky MHK called me on the cell and we agreed that there is no sense for me to try to make it across the river (which is most likely won’t happen in a humanly possible time anyway), and he will just try to grab a taxi to his Mom’s house in Staten Island. So this concludes my DIR-F report… I hope he made it home, and I feel bad since he has to leave back on Sunday,.. and on top of that he only had less than 10 hours brake the day before that as he was teaching DIR classes in England.

So, looks like we will need a re-schedule.. this next time, we should show a support for Michael Kane, let’s hope everybody who was even remotely interested in the class will register for the next “rescheduled” class. Good luck, and stay safe, everyone!

Happy holidays.

-Vadim

bummer... :(

Hopefully, I can get into the reschedule!

definately a bummer...

i'm still up for the reschedule, hopefully in warmer weather.
or at least after i'm dry, and have some pratice with some new equip configs i'm working on this winter.

i had the same traffic. I got out of downtown alright, via ferry.
(part of my escape from NY disaster plan)
the traffic on the other side was the worst i've ever seen.
2 hrs to do the first 6 miles. then another 2 hrs the rest of the way home.
had i known i would have ducked over the bayonne bridge and went to my mom's in staten island too.

turns out my cousins plane at JFK was actually on the ground at 9:30,
took 3 hours to find a gate then another 2 to get luggage.
one of my other cousins was picking them up.

I hope MHK made it alright. Have you talked to him?

Talk about bad timing. I feel for Vadim, since I am from Germany and we can get up to 4ft snow a day without making a big deal about it. It is actually not that bad out here in Philly with 8-10" of snow. :wink:

I hope MHK at least enjoyed his stay with his mom. Bummer, since he put a lot of effort into hosting the class.

Vadim and I even set up a plan "B" with the classes at my house in Boothwyn PA (just south of Philly) and access to the local Y pool. But the weather put an end even to that....

Count me in next time around, and I agree MHK has suffered more than his share for this one class!

Ken

Ps. Anyone interested in 4 lbs of lunchmeat, two pounds of antipasta and a case of water:rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom