DIR divers: Deviations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

another deviation: we dive double-130s off boats in salt water here in the PNW routinely to the point where its just SOP. it drove bob sherwood bat**** crazy. we'll have to see how dean marshall takes it...

I know he's big into AL80s with a 10lb v-weight.

But refresh my memory on what's wrong with the 130s? If your back can handle them and you can swim the rig up, big whoop.

Of course maybe you should ask beforehand, so you don't scare Dean off forever like you did with Bob S. :D

lamont:
another deviation: we dive double-130s off boats in salt water here in the PNW routinely to the point where its just SOP. it drove bob sherwood bat**** crazy. we'll have to see how dean marshall takes it...
It used to drive AG nuts that we used 130's at Lake Miniw anka too.

rjack321:
I know he's big into AL80s with a 10lb v-weight.

But refresh my memory on what's wrong with the 130s? If your back can handle them and you can swim the rig up, big whoop.

Of course maybe you should ask beforehand, so you don't scare Dean off forever like you did with Bob S. :D

The big argument that I could see was that they're huge tanks and climbing up the boat ladder could be dangerous. But for puget sound diving the weather is reasonably predictable and we don't get storms that blow in while we're down there and even if we do the sound isn't a body of water as large as the NE atlantic which tends to restrict how bad the wave action gets. Plus for most non-wreck diving around here you can always find an alternative divesite in the lee of an island. Option #1 is also pretty easy to use...

Oh, I think the other thing is that its thought to be indicative of bad focus on physical fitness and using large tanks to instead of pushing SAC rates down lower with excersize... We'll have to see if Dean can hit a 0.30 SAC rate up here in 45F water...

That's funny.

My SAC was 0.45 :eyebrow: down in MX after class, but I think CLM was down around 0.25 :11:

This is the most informative thread I've read in ages. Really.

Another deviation I've sometimes used and like is a small mask light. I've been using a Mini Q40 eled (plus) but it's too big. I've been looking around for a smaller led light just bright enough for reading gauges, wetnotes or camera work during night/cave dives, but not so bright that it would blind or bother anyone else. And I'd like a long burn time.

Check out the Attitude from Princeton Tec

It's a tiny 3 LED light (not 3W, three separate LEDs). You are in no danger of blinding anyone underwater. :D I keep it in my toolbox for walking around after dark, but I have used it as a primary light on a few night dives. Let's just say it makes everything exciting. It doesn't have a mask strap, so you might have to convert your strap from the miniQ40. Burn time is rated at 150 hours (with alkaline?). I have NiHM and I get about 24 hours.

*Floater*:
Another deviation I've sometimes used and like is a small mask light. I've been using a Mini Q40 eled (plus) but it's too big. I've been looking around for a smaller led light just bright enough for reading gauges, wetnotes or camera work during night/cave dives, but not so bright that it would blind or bother anyone else. And I'd like a long burn time.

You can use UK Mini Pocket eLed light. It is possible to attache on the mask strap upside down. It won't blind your buddies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom