DIR divers: Deviations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy:
Check out the Attitude from Princeton Tec

It's a tiny 3 LED light (not 3W, three separate LEDs). You are in no danger of blinding anyone underwater. :D I keep it in my toolbox for walking around after dark, but I have used it as a primary light on a few night dives. Let's just say it makes everything exciting. It doesn't have a mask strap, so you might have to convert your strap from the miniQ40. Burn time is rated at 150 hours (with alkaline?). I have NiHM and I get about 24 hours.

Thanks for the suggestion. That looks interesting. How long is it?

I'm also considering the Tektite Trek 2 LED, which is slightly weaker and shorter (40+ hour) burn time, but would probably still do the job.

Golem Gear also sells a very attractive mask light, the Lola LED Backup Light, but at $99 it's more than I can justify spending (and maybe heavier than I want).

I was thinking of using bike tire inner tube rings, o-rings and or surgical tubing to mount one of these on my mask strap. Shouldn't be a problem.

*Floater*:
I considered one of those too, as well as the Tektite-Splash but they are only rated to 10m (33') and 30m (100'), respectively.

I didn't notice its spec. though. I regularly dove with that light up to 70ft whenever I dove solo. I have used about a year though, I didn't have any issue so far. I never touch the light and just leave "on" all the times. Try it.....

The Attitude is just under 5" long, 1" wide, and 1/2" thick. It's just a bit longer than a SS double ender.

The one I have is older and looks a little different than the one on the website. I can't remember what I paid, but I'm guessing it was in the $15-$25 range at an outdoor store.

The Tektite looks like it might be longer by a battery length. The Attitude's batteries are packed 2x2, so it isn't as long. I think it's the light you are looking for.

Does the Attitude come with any attached buckle or strap?

Mine has a short lanyard on it with a SS bolt snap :D On the end, there is a rounded tab with a hole in it. I think it originally had a small ring. I took it off and made my own modifications. :D

I can't find my mask strap for my miniQ40 to check the fit, but I think you would be better off with bike inner tube since the Attitude is much smaller than the miniQ40.

Do any of these lights have provisions for mounting pointing slightly down instead of straight ahead? I use a headlamp a lot for work and I find that by tilting it slightly down you can use it to illuminate whatever you want to see but while looking straight ahead at someone it does not shine into their eyes.

~Jess

No.... The mask strap mounting method is pretty much straightforward...

Jason B:
Same here. 38lbs wing with double 95's with zero issues. Plenty of lift. Add a deco bottle and still no issues.

I agree 38-40 lbs in plenty of lift for LP 95's or even 104's with a deco bottle. The question is it enough to perform the rescue of a team member with the same gear at the beginning of the dive (when everyone is the heaviest). If the answer is yes, you are diving the correct wing. If the answer is no, you need a bigger wing. DIR divers think for the team not the individual. I assure you a 40 lb wing will not support two divers in full gear

*Floater*:
Thanks for the suggestion. That looks interesting. How long is it?

Golem Gear also sells a very attractive mask light, the Lola LED Backup Light, but at $99 it's more than I can justify spending (and maybe heavier than I want).

I was thinking of using bike tire inner tube rings, o-rings and or surgical tubing to mount one of these on my mask strap. Shouldn't be a problem.

The LOLA light is neutral in the water, so no weight issues. I have one attached to my mask strap with bike innertube. Great for photo/video or survey work. Magnetic switch allows for one handed on/off. The light form 4 LEDs is dispersed, so it will not blind anyone, yet strong enough to follow the line out of the cave.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom