DIR divers: Deviations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
Drysuit...

What if they are not diving a separate inflation system? How will the drysuit help you?

Soggy:
What's the scenario? BOTH posts failed AND your wing has failed and is empty AND you are at the beginning of the dive?

Sometimes it is just your time to go . . .

vbcoachchris:
Stage and deco bottles are ditchable weight as is a weight belt, so the rig is balanced, but in a rescue situation do you really want to deal with ditching all of that at the surface.

I know Lamont can swim full 130's (with 32%) up and so can I, but I can't swim Lamont's 130's and my 130's to the surface together.

My point was... As long as you can swim it up "raw" or ditch something and swim it up, you don't need to bring an oversized wing "for your buddy".

Smaller, appropriately sized wings taco less and generally vent better. So you less likely to have a problem at a stop or on deco - which is a far more "real" risk than having a complete wing failure anyway.

Sounds like murphy had his way with you.

rjack321:
Smaller, appropriately sized wings taco less and generally vent better. So you less likely to have a problem at a stop or on deco - which is a far more "real" risk than having a complete wing failure anyway.

I think you'll find it hard to convince anyone that a 55# wing is an inappropriately sized wing for large steel doubles, especially in fresh water. 38# is really pushing it for being on the edge of sufficient buoyancy. I'm a minimalist, too, but the difference in size between a 55# wing and a 38# wing is pretty marginal.

Soggy:
What's the scenario? BOTH posts failed AND your wing has failed and is empty AND you are at the beginning of the dive?

You are on a 110 ft wall, diving 32% (no need for argon). Upon descent you wing fails. You bang against the wall several times on you trip to 110 ft. Along the way you damage your left post and smack your head against the wall rendering you unconscious. You have a full set up tanks, no drysuit inflation and your out cold. Now that’s a bad day.

Soggy:
I think you'll find it hard to convince anyone that a 55# wing is an inappropriately sized wing for large steel doubles, especially in fresh water. 38# is really pushing it for being on the edge of sufficient buoyancy. I'm a minimalist, too, but the difference in size between a 55# wing and a 38# wing is pretty marginal.

My point exactly. 40 lb is great for 100's, but not 119's and 130's. The 60 lbs evolve is hardly over sized.

rjack321:
My point was... As long as you can swim it up "raw" or ditch something and swim it up, you don't need to bring an oversized wing "for your buddy".

I agree totally with this statement. You need the correct wing for the job. Too small is just as bad, if not worse than too large. I guess the disagreement is in the phrase appropriately sized. I just don't agree that a 40 lb evolve will work much better than a 40 lb eclipse on a set of 130's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom