DIR divers: Deviations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsteding:
Not to you're mention the most unlucky SOB on the planet.

Not really, I think the commercial diver bloke with the jelly fish in the heating water ranks right up there. Where are all the good internet stories when you need them!

rjack321:
Where are all the good internet stories when you need them!

This one time at strokaphobic band camp......

rjack321:
I use a 55lb wing for HP100s in salt water with a drysuit and 200gm thinsulate undergarments.

I have used a 40lb wing with AL80s (same garments) and it was totally adequate. Of course those tanks are only -1 when full.

Whether a 40lb wing is enough for HP130s I dunno, I don't have any. But it seems unlikely to be a good match. Mostly 'cause with 8" diameter tanks you can easily use a larger wing and not have a huge Manta on your back.

I can say that a (my) halcyon 40 is not enough for 130's filled to 3500psi of 21/20 (topped off a 21/36 with air) and 2 ALI 40's in the ocean.

My argon bottle was wedged into my rib cage for the entire dive as the wing needed to be almost entirely inflated, and my mouth level was about an inch below surface unless I fully inflated my d/suit on the surface.

having said that, I didnt know my weighting very well, so I used a steel plate and 8 pounds, which is what I use in HP-100's.
Likely I can drop 4-6 pounds of that weight.

limeyx:
having said that, I didnt know my weighting very well, so I used a steel plate and 8 pounds, which is what I use in HP-100's.
Likely I can drop 4-6 pounds of that weight.

Why would you drop weight from the HP100s to the E8-130s? The 130s are only about 1-2 lbs negative each empty, which isn't very far off from HP100s. They aren't like the old 104s.

Soggy:
Why would you drop weight from the HP100s to the E8-130s? The 130s are only about 1-2 lbs negative each empty, which isn't very far off from HP100s. They aren't like the old 104s.

well, it would be 1-2 pounds per tank potentially (based on actual measurements from my buddy), plus I am a couple overweight on the 100's (which doesnt bother me with that config, but definitely might help with the 130's)

however, a 55 pound wing definitely seems like a good idea too.

limeyx:
I can say that a (my) halcyon 40 is not enough for 130's filled to 3500psi of 21/20 (topped off a 21/36 with air) and 2 ALI 40's in the ocean.

My argon bottle was wedged into my rib cage for the entire dive as the wing needed to be almost entirely inflated, and my mouth level was about an inch below surface unless I fully inflated my d/suit on the surface.
Pretty much what I experienced with my Evolve 40 and 119's ... especially when packing a deco bottle (AL40 or AL80).

The DSS Torus 49 works well for that rig ... the Evolve 60 does too, but it's a more expensive wing.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

daniel f aleman:
Think 40# rec, 55# tech.

Not at all. You just need to add up the lift you need, and select the correct wing for the job.

I have tons of (albeit relatively shallow) "Tech" dives just fine on a 40 pounder.
LP72's, LP80/85's, LP80's/100's with a single AL40 deco bottle (probably even two deco bottles) is plenty. No need to have a 55 pounder for those kind of dives.

vbcoachchris:
I agree 38-40 lbs in plenty of lift for LP 95's or even 104's with a deco bottle. The question is it enough to perform the rescue of a team member with the same gear at the beginning of the dive (when everyone is the heaviest). If the answer is yes, you are diving the correct wing. If the answer is no, you need a bigger wing. DIR divers think for the team not the individual. I assure you a 40 lb wing will not support two divers in full gear

I wonder why GUE's standards don't address this in their gear section.
According to their standards, my wing is fine.

Page 24, #4
Wing size and shape should be appropriate to the cylinder sizes(s) employed for training.

http://www.gue.com/Training/Standards/GUE_Standards_2006_ver4.pdf

NWGratefulDiver:
Pretty much what I experienced with my Evolve 40 and 119's ... especially when packing a deco bottle (AL40 or AL80).
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Same experience...... Good excuse to buy an Evolve 60...:)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom