DIR divers: Deviations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Remember what Forrest Gump's mama always used to say ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yeah and I wonder what Freud would say about her......

Hey, I'm not drinking the koolaid, its probably laced with date rape drugs. Then, once I'm out they'll reprogram me to think like them all, and buy all gear with a blue H on it, then buy a Gavin scooter, then a DUI drysuit, then Apex or SCUBAPro regs. I can't afford to mess around with those guys. BTW, I just gotta start this one up for grins, but someone please tell me with GOOD reasoning why bungeed wings are bad. And because the GOO heads say its bad isn't suffice in this thread!

PvilleStang:
BTW, I just gotta start this one up for grins, but someone please tell me with GOOD reasoning why bungeed wings are bad. And because the GOO heads say its bad isn't suffice in this thread!

Well, tell me what problem the bungees are solving...

A "good" reason to one person may not be a good reason to another. I have reasons why I choose not to use them.

Bungied wings:
1) trap gas in between the bungies
2) are a pita to orally inflate
3) if they get a hole - they power squeeze the gas out

probably some other good reasons, but those are top 3 IMO.

Oh and they don't really solve any problems :D

ps Dang it soggy beat me.

Hey, while I've sat here and heard people moaning about having to do some crazy barrel rolling and stick their butts up in the water column to get the gas to their back dump, I just stay level and pull it and it comes out just fine. I've never had the issue of getting gas trapped in between the bungies, and the main thing it accomplishes is it keeps the bladder retracted and in essence, DIR people, streamlined!

PvilleStang:
BTW, I just gotta start this one up for grins, but someone please tell me with GOOD reasoning why bungeed wings are bad. And because the GOO heads say its bad isn't suffice in this thread!

There are various reasons that people give, but to me the three main ones are that:

1. If you get a small puncture in a non-bungee wing, then you can probably still trap gas in it (just not under the hole) and finish the dive fine, whereas a wing with tight bungees would squeeze most of the gas out making the situation worse.

2. Some bungees introduce air traps into the wing. It's easier to dump when close to full since the bungees will push the gas out, but towards then (when venting is trickiest) the bungees just create bumps in the wing than can make moving air inside harder. Of course for people who dive over-weighted on purpose this is not a problem.

3. They are unnecessary.

However, I've never used a bungee wing so I'm just repeated what I've been told.

PvilleStang:
Hey, while I've sat here and heard people moaning about having to do some crazy barrel rolling and stick their butts up in the water column to get the gas to their back dump, I just stay level and pull it and it comes out just fine.

It is more likely that you are overweighted. You still have to move gas around yourself. That's a matter of physics.

I've never had the issue of getting gas trapped in between the bungies, and the main thing it accomplishes is it keeps the bladder retracted and in essence, DIR people, streamlined!

Nope, it's far less streamlined. If it were more streamlined, they'd build submarines like accordions.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom