DIR divers: Deviations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
We use "pull dumps" in the sense of the ones you pull the string on to vent the wing (located at the left rear of the wing), but not the ones where you pull on the INFLATOR to dump. Why have one, when the inflator itself vents? And I've read a couple of stories on SB about pull dumps coming apart underwater when pulled on.

Yup, the more the bungee helps with venting gas, the more it'll 'help' with venting gas when you get a hole. The remaining reason for them seem to be dealing with excess wing material on wings which are sized too large. I know that when I was diving in MX I found dealing with my 60# evolve wing on double-Al80s to be annoying since the wings would taco the tank and trap gas. I'm going to go to a 40# evolve wing on double Al80s before I think about bungee wings to solve that problem though.

If you size your wing properly there is no problem that bungee wings solve.

Our explorer 55s had the same problem. Chris and Danny have explorer40s you can rent if needed. I found one used online for $175 :) The evolves are way too pricey for me compared to Tobin's 42lb donut wing.

Still not getting a bungied wing.

rjack321:
Our explorer 55s had the same problem. Chris and Danny have explorer40s you can rent if needed. I found one used online for $175 :) The evolves are way too pricey for me compared to Tobin's 42lb donut wing.

Still not getting a bungied wing.

I still have plans about buying double-LP85s and a 40# wing for use up here, so I'd just use that wing in MX...

For the cenote diving we were doing the 60# was a minor annoyance, but its a detail that I'd like nailed down for cave 1...

I have some LP85s and AL80s up here and never realized how much easier the narrow wing would be until I went to MX.

Chris let me use an explorer40 after Wednesday of Cave1. It didn't so much as solve any problems, just made bouyancy "nicer". A bungie "solution" just seems like the wrong way to me, smaller and with less wrap was exactly what the Dr. ordered.

Okay, so I'm diving double 95's, so a 40's a bit light for that... and don't even get started on that argument, cause I WILL go DIR fundies on yo arses. I have NEVER had the air trapping problem, because water will still squeeze the air out of them (it's not a DiveRite wing, where the bungee crosses the wing three times, and that's it). And when I was referring to PULL DUMP, I meant my right hip dump. This is the big kids forum, a Hog forum nonetheless, so who would actually have a wing equipped with a pull dump inflator hose?

:huh: So is it a DR wing or an OMS "BWD"?

Sorry about the "pull dump" confusion.

PvilleStang:
Okay, so I'm diving double 95's, so a 40's a bit light for that... and don't even get started on that argument, cause I WILL go DIR fundies on yo arses. I have NEVER had the air trapping problem, because water will still squeeze the air out of them (it's not a DiveRite wing, where the bungee crosses the wing three times, and that's it). And when I was referring to PULL DUMP, I meant my right hip dump. This is the big kids forum, a Hog forum nonetheless, so who would actually have a wing equipped with a pull dump inflator hose?
I used a 40# doubles wing with my E8 119's successfully up until I got to the point where I wanted to start carrying deco bottles. In fact, I used two of them ... a Deep Sea Supply and a Halcyon Evolve.

Dive Rite wings come standard with pull dump inflator hoses ... if you want the elbow you have to special-order it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

PvilleStang:
Okay, so I'm diving double 95's, so a 40's a bit light for that...
I don't think anyone is going to argue with that. How big is your wing though? I personally don't see any reason why you would need something bigger than a 55 or 60 pound wing and with that size wing I don't see any need for bungees. I don't really have a problem with bungeed wings I just don't see any need for it. Of course I don't know what I am talking about because I haven't started diving doubles yet. Actually I have been meaning to talk to you about that, I would like to find a buddy or two who can give me some pointers as I start my transition into doubles.

As for bungeed singles wings. Well if properly weighted and using thin exposure protection I could get by without any wing at all, so it isn't that big of a deal to me.

And when I was referring to PULL DUMP, I meant my right hip dump. This is the big kids forum, a Hog forum nonetheless, so who would actually have a wing equipped with a pull dump inflator hose?
You know that rear dump really should be on the left side so that you can use the same hand for either dump ;-) Are you sure you don't want me to loan you a copy of the fundies book? I will include a packet of koolaid....

~Jess

Ok, school IS frying my brain, yes, the left side pull dump. It is a 60 lb wing, OMS single bladder. So Bob, if you bail out of your gear on the surface with everything attached (say you need to adjust a strap on the surface or something, and you need to doff your gear), would it be able to sustain floatation on its own, or are you going to have to muscle those double 119's to keep them afloat? I hear that argument all too often that 60 lbs is overkill, but when you try to float them in the water without a diver in the harness, many people often underestimate the weight of their rig.

PvilleStang:
Ok, school IS frying my brain, yes, the left side pull dump. It is a 60 lb wing, OMS single bladder. So Bob, if you bail out of your gear on the surface with everything attached (say you need to adjust a strap on the surface or something, and you need to doff your gear), would it be able to sustain floatation on its own, or are you going to have to muscle those double 119's to keep them afloat? I hear that argument all too often that 60 lbs is overkill, but when you try to float them in the water without a diver in the harness, many people often underestimate the weight of their rig.
The rig would float with a fully-inflated wing. Not very high, mind you ... but it floated.

FWIW - I decided that with a full load of gas (back gas at 3500 psi) and full deco bottle the flotation was marginal ... less than marginal if there were waves. I subsequently went to a larger wing. Two, actually ... I have both the DSS Torus 49 and the Halcyon Evolve 60. The Torus is enough to use with fully loaded bottles and an AL40. If slinging an AL80 or two bottles, I prefer the Evolve 60.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom