DIR divers: Deviations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We use "pull dumps" in the sense of the ones you pull the string on to vent the wing (located at the left rear of the wing), but not the ones where you pull on the INFLATOR to dump. Why have one, when the inflator itself vents? And I've read a couple of stories on SB about pull dumps coming apart underwater when pulled on.

What she said. The type with a dump integrated into the inflator elbow and a SS cable down the corrugated hose. Those aren't DIR.

The little string (no bead) at your hip, that's double secret probation DIR :D

TSandM:
We use "pull dumps" in the sense of the ones you pull the string on to vent the wing (located at the left rear of the wing), but not the ones where you pull on the INFLATOR to dump. Why have one, when the inflator itself vents? And I've read a couple of stories on SB about pull dumps coming apart underwater when pulled on.
I had a student pull the inflator hose and have it come off in his hand ... and it didn't even have a pull dump (it was a Halcyon wing) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

TSandM:

I used the rear vent and the inflator to dump during my classes. I didn't know what he meant. Thanks.

NWGratefulDiver:
I had a student pull the inflator hose and have it come off in his hand ... and it didn't even have a pull dump (it was a Halcyon wing) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Melody had her hose come off too, about 2 weeks ago. The little strap halcyon uses on the elbow doesn't hold up - I think it stretches over time. Anyway I reglued it with ATV silicon and put the screwstrap plus a ziptie on there. IMO the elbows could use a larger bump to help keep the hose from blowing off (seems to happen at the surface).

TSandM:
... And I've read a couple of stories on SB about pull dumps coming apart underwater when pulled on.

He shouldn't have been unscrewing the thing while looking for the thread :wink:

*Floater*:
Put it this way, if I only had access to a bungee wing (rental or something), then I'd rather do the dive like that than not do it at all.

Me too, but I don't think I'd be planning a "big dive" using a bungied wing. Not that I think it would instantly kill me, just because I don't really know any of their quirks.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom