DIR divers: Deviations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, Lamont, THIS is a nice picture, all in ninja black and with scooter . . .

lamont:
Well, best mix does throw more variables into the ability to compare deco results from dive-to-dive.

And by "best" they usually mean shooting the O2 as high as possible without toxing. 1.4 ppO2s if you're a modern mix diver. 1.6 if you're old skool.

onfloat:
Do I hear 25/25?:D
Heresy!

I dunno maybe its my budget. But its either 32% down to 100ft or 21/35 or 18/45 and a proper tech dive below 140 for me. The inbetween stuff is a pita. Not enough MDL time and/or hard to justify the hassles of a deco dive (eg a longer SI). I suppose if I was doing penetration dives on the BC wrecks or something I'd take 30/30 or 25/25depending on the dive. Certainly would want a clear head for that.

But to just cruise along a sunken barge, or wall, etc. at 90 ft, 32% works fine for me.

For me:

Air to 60/80'
30% to 130 (usualy 50% deco)
21/35 or 21 35 to 180

Off of Southern New England you just can't get much deeper then 180 unless it is a special charter (Doria or the U-Who/U-869 are the most common) or private boat by invite only. Then you start doing custom mixes and we would use a 60% mix so you can put air on top of them for a second dive. You don't find Fill stations off shore and you can't take 4 or 5 sets on the boat - just no room for it.

Why air? at 60' you have 60 minutes and I just can't make a single 80 go that long and if I use twin 72's, I like to keep 700-1000 in the tanks on the way up. Or, I shot my 36 frames in the Nikonios and it is time to call the dive.

Shore diving in Maine and in Feb and in 32F water my dives last 36 frams or less. Who needs NITROX in 40'?

lamont:
my profile pic has been updated...
Mine too ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Mine too ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Serious rule #6 violation with those gloves man!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom