DIR and SMB/finger spool location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PSUSciDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Question for the DIR crowd,
(Without having suit pockets) what is the acceptable method of stowing a SMB and finger spool?

I'm stuck between just clipping it off to my butt D ring or folding it and putting it inbetween my BP and BP pad.

I like the second way I mentioned because it would be more streamline. Also it seams like my halcyon BP pad has a spot for this?

I'd like to hear what the world has to say.

Thanks

After trying to put it between the BP and pad I can see it's not a good idea.. I'd still like to hear what people have to say.
Also, should the finger spool be stored with it attached to the SMB or both stored on the rear D ring separate?
Thanks

On the butt dring it hides well from the current. It is easy to retrieve and the only slight annoyance is not sitting on it on the boat. No big deal at all. Oh and attached. Youtube is your friend if you want to see the dozen or so methods of doing this.

Is there really such a thing as "DIR with no pockets" to begin with? Never heard of that!

I wouldn't know, as I'm not a DIR diver. I do however agree with DIR philosophies. The main reason I have chose a DIR modeled rig is to be as streamlined as possible, so bulky pockets aren't appealing to me.

Suit pockets!

But for real in absence of pockets clip it to your hip or butt dring. Pay special attention to the spool when you get in and out of the water. Prime time for it to come unclipped and dump line everywhere, which in turn makes you look like a bozo.

Big SMBs stuff em in a backplate pad.

What's big? 10'?
The one I have is a 6' with a dump, oral inflator and a open bottom. Seams like it won't stuff in the BP pad without it pushing into my back.

What's big? 10'?
The one I have is a 6' with a dump, oral inflator and a open bottom. Seams like it won't stuff in the BP pad without it pushing into my back.
I'd stuff that one. It seems like it would be worse than it actually is.

If you don't have a can light a right hand harness pocket is slick. Holds the long hose and your trinkets and doodads.

I do every dive with a Halcyon 6 footer stuffed into the BP pad. You only notice it for a few dives. Not a big deal at all, even when rolling double 130's.

Now the 130's, clearly they were created by the devil himself....

Back
Top Bottom