din valve vs k

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My threads are exposed for less than a minute and
that's when I take them off my tanks and find my
delrin cap for the regulator connection. I usually
have the cap in hand when I remove the reg.

I suppose an event could make me drop the reg and
damage the threads while I'm about to put on the
cap but I've got backup regs and the chances are
small.

You're probably just picking nits, so no big deal but
I'm firmly on the side of abolishing yoke on this one. I
hate it when I travel to where the remote location
has no tanks except yoke.

Joens, maybe we should form the "had a yoke o-ring
go on us at depth" club. :)

Kell

I like the idea of a " had an O-ring go at depth club" we can get together and come up with interesting ways to destroy yoke valves and the yoke adapters from our regs. I have a big box of each .At the first meeting we can start on mine .
Joens

burst on my DIN just as I was getting into the water... the concept of a "captured O-Ring" being superior is falacious. Both of them are "captured O-Rings". The Yoke is just a smaller O-Ring. You should replace all O-Rings yearly.

Let the market determine which one does better. I prefer DIN for what I do... but the yoke is very servicable.

I have always considered a yoke o-ring a 'face' o-ring,
not captured. A DIN o-ring is a captured one.

Given equal maint. etc. a captured o-ring is less likely
to extrude than a face o-ring.

Also a few points.

1. as you state maintenance is key. With the o-ring in
my regulator I can maintain it. On yoke rental tanks
I cannot unless I replace every yoke o-ring before
every dive.

2. Any impact to a yoke will increase the likelihood of an
extrusion. Whether that's a slip on the boat, parking lot,
etc. etc. or worse in a wreck or cave.

3. Market inertia, better pricing due to volume, and consumer
lack of education is not the same in my mind as acceptance.

Kell

many people consider it just as you say. The reality is that both are captured when the regulators are in place. The thinner K or J Valve O-ring is not as "robust" as the thicker DIN O-Ring... Both are also "static" design as well. They load in much the same way, but of course, the O-Ring stays with the reg in DIN and with the Valve in the yoke arrangement.

Epinephelus once bubbled...
Lessee, If I dig deeply enough in my pocket of advantages/disadvantages... ah, yes, there's one... "The exposed threads on the DIN fitting on the first stage are more susceptable to damage from rough handling when the regulator isn't attached to the tank than the yoke screw on a yoke adapter."
How's that?
E. itajara
That's diggin' pretty deep!
Rick

The two exposed threads on a 300 bar DIN regulator on a 200 bar DIN valve, are protected by the DIN handwheel. Not a reason not to use DIN.

DIN is a good system but hard to clear of water which could be inducted into the tank during filling. It has an advantage in that the O ring is on the regulator which means it is less susceptible to the type of abuse seen with rental tanks and standard yoke valves. The DIN regulator has exposed threads which are not protected as well as the yoke connector. The DIN wheel does not protect the threads except from one angle. It does not protect the sealing face at all until installed on the valve. Large protective covers are required. The internal thread on the DIN valve is susceptible to corrosion. The only real advantage of DIN is in technical diving where divers hook up multiple regulators and go in caves. The DIN gives a smoother profile and is sturdier when butt heading overheads. The yoke valve is given a bad rap by a few vociferous individuals who use old rental tanks and do not secure the regulator properly. They claim 'blowout'. A properly maintained yoke system will survive 20 years of use without problem other than annual O ring maintenance which, BTW, does not include the use of ice picks. Same for DIN.

pescador775 once bubbled...
DIN is a good system but ... The yoke valve is given a bad rap...
There you go, messing up current "thinking" with facts!
E. itajara

That altough DIN is probably much better than Yoke, most of the LDS's around the world will have more Yoke prepared valves on their tanks.

So if you dive your own equipment (tank and reg) I would advise going with DIN, but make sure that you can fall back on the Yoke adapter when you use your equipment where DIN tanks are rare.

Ari :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom