DIN thread types (200bar/300bar)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhlee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm thinking of switching my regs over to DIN since I'm tired of dealing with mashed up and blown out O-rings on my PST-80s. My question is, I've seen reference to SB threads
that say that there are 2 DIN standards, 200bar and 300bar the difference being that the 200bar standard has 5 threads whereas teh 300bar standard has 7 threads.

In researching the conversion kit for my regs, I see that the conversion kit is advertised as 300bar, but the picture only shows 5 threads (that I can see). What's the deal?

This is the converter:

http://www.onlinescuba.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=4545G9

thanks.

Probably just the wrong photo on the website. XS makes good stuff, and if they say it's 300 bar, it probaby is.

rhlee:
I'm thinking of switching my regs over to DIN since I'm tired of dealing with mashed up and blown out O-rings on my PST-80s. My question is, I've seen reference to SB threads
that say that there are 2 DIN standards, 200bar and 300bar the difference being that the 200bar standard has 5 threads whereas teh 300bar standard has 7 threads.

In researching the conversion kit for my regs, I see that the conversion kit is advertised as 300bar, but the picture only shows 5 threads (that I can see). What's the deal?

This is the converter:

http://www.onlinescuba.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=4545G9

thanks.

I have two Sea Air Tri-Metal regulators and have this exact converter for 300 Bar/seven thread. Heavy duty, works great and screws on and off easily.
Get the 300 Bar as it will work on 200 Bar valves as well but not the opposite. I bought a Mares VR16 a few years ago and I thought it came with 300 Bar. To my surprise when I turned the valve on the air flowed out. A phone call and $50 later I had the right adapter. I sold the 200 Bar on Ebay.

Hrm. Ok, thanks. I have the Tri-Metal regs also; I guess I'll just trust that these are right. Also, is this something that I can change over myself? How tight should the fitting be into the first stage?

Also, how tight is one supposed to screw the other end into the tank valve?

rhlee:
Hrm. Ok, thanks. I have the Tri-Metal regs also; I guess I'll just trust that these are right. Also, is this something that I can change over myself? How tight should the fitting be into the first stage?

Also, how tight is one supposed to screw the other end into the tank valve?

Yes, in just a few minutes you can do this project yourself. Of course unscrew the yoke. I usually use a big Crescent wrench for this project. And you will see that the DIN adapter will screw right in. There will be an o-ring that provides a seal to the first stage and you will need to get an Allen wrench that will fit the end of the DIN adapter. Just snug it down. No need to overtighten.

As far as screwing the DIN valve into the tank. Just finger tight and when you use up all the threads it will stop. Get your regulator positioned and when you turn the gas on it won't move. Again it's the o-ring that makes the seals.

Back
Top Bottom