300bar DIN 1st stages in APAC for Rec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearlman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks,
So I’ve been researching regs to buy next week ( actually purchase was delayed pending a new card from bank). I decided on a DIN configuration because I intend to learn Tech/Sidemount and do at least 30% of my annual dives beyond standard Recreational ones in the coming years. (Will need more regs for stage bottles down the line but that’s for me to worry for later). My diving area is primarily Indo/PP/TH. The reg I want is available in 300bar DIN configuration - which I found requires a deeper thread in the tank vs standard (Pro?) DIN up to 230 bar. So it looks like not just a matter of removing the yoke adapter in tank with an 8mm Allen key to fit my reg - this requires a different thread/connector. Nor will an A-clamp adapter work it looks like?

Question is that for my recreational diving needs how commonly available are tanks in APAC for a 300bar DIN reg? Or can I dive Tech in the future with A-clamp?

To rephrase my question - should I buy A-clamp or DIN considering my plans?

Not sure I fully follow - but 300 bar DIN regs fit 232 bar DIN valves just fine, 2 threads will be visible, but it's common to dive like this in Europe, so no worries:)

The other way around will not work!

Not sure I fully follow - but 300 bar DIN regs fit 232 bar DIN valves just fine, 2 threads will be visible, but it's common to dive like this in Europe, so no worries:)

The other way around will not work!

Ok that’s a relief then. Maybe I misunderstood it in exact reverse then.

So you saying in other words - Since the O-Ring is at the end of the DIN - it will be flush tight against the tank valve and safe even if two threads are visible… is that right?

Ok that’s a relief then. Maybe I misunderstood it in exact reverse then.

So you saying in other words - Since the O-Ring is at the end of the DIN - it will be flush tight against the tank valve and safe even if two threads are visible… is that right?

That would be correct - and how I've been doing my (way to few) cave dives so far, so really not something seen as a risk

There are many of us using 300 BAR DIN regulators on 232 BAR DIN tank valves....

It is almost annoying to come across 300 BAR valves. It seems to go on forever connecting to them...

There are many of us using 300 BAR DIN regulators on 232 BAR DIN tank valves....

It is almost annoying to come across 300 BAR valves. It seems to go on forever connecting to them...
:nyah: it is, isn't it.

I'm actually not aware of any major reg manufacturer still manufacturing 200/232bar regs, they all do 300bar.
And one should be fine using DIN regs in most of APAC.

As @rhwestfall said, many are using 300 Bar DINs. I'll even go one step further and say that many that use DIN may not even know if their's is 200 or 300 Bar.

1644684433158.png
1644684483397.png

Left: 232bar valve. Right: 300bar valve. Same first stage.
As @rhwestfall said, many are using 300 Bar DINs. I'll even go one step further and say that many that use DIN may not even know if their's is 200 or 300 Bar.
It's indeed pretty hard to find a 232bar-only first stage. The majority is rated for 300.

My diving area is primarily Indo/PP/TH.
Small chance you'll find 300bar valves there, only steel and carbonfiber tanks are rated to 300bar. Steel tanks are a headache in tropical climates compared to aluminum (rust). The most common used AL80 is rated to 207bar.

Back
Top Bottom