Din Plugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the idea of the metal plugs compared to the plastic, I guess drilling them is an option(if gas loss wasn't a concern).Then again
if you make sure they are off everytime,prior to removing ,and found one on, cracking it and losing an o-ring is about the only option.......Thanks, Mark

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

how do you get these things out if someone inadvertently cracks the valve open with them in place?

VERY CAREFULLY AND WITH SOMEONE ELSES HAND ON THE WRENCH.

Chad

mad1 once bubbled...
I like the idea of the metal plugs compared to the plastic, I guess drilling them is an option(if gas loss wasn't a concern).Then again
if you make sure they are off everytime,prior to removing ,and found one on, cracking it and losing an o-ring is about the only option.......Thanks, Mark

If you want one that you don't have to drill, check out http://www.innerrealm.co.nz/pricing.asp and get one of the flow restrictor ones.

how do you get these things out if someone inadvertently cracks the valve open with them in place?

If I'm not mistaken (and if I am I'm sure that everyone will let me know) most, if not all, DIN valves have a small hole drilled into the side or bottom to release gas pressure, and possibly water, from the valve if this happens. Also the Delrin plugs I have only have an o-ring around the base of the cap area not the base of the plug like a DIN regulator has and therefore won't seal the valve as a regulator would when installed. I think it would be extremely dangerous to completely seal the valve with a plastic plug on a tank that could possibly be filled to 3500+ psi. If the plug did seal the valve and someone opened it it would most likely blow the plug right out of the valve killing someone.

Scott

Padipro once bubbled...
If I'm not mistaken (and if I am I'm sure that everyone will let me know) most, if not all, DIN valves have a small hole drilled into the side or bottom to release gas pressure, and possibly water, from the valve if this happens.
Scott the SS ones referenced by the link appear to have a captured o-ring and are advertised as saving the cylinder contents should the valve accidently be opened.

Padipro once bubbled...

If the plug did seal the valve and someone opened it it would most likely blow the plug right out of the valve killing someone.

Scott

I disagree to a point. With the length of the threads on a 300 bar valve, by the time you actually had enough threads loosened for it to come out, that tiny bit of air between the plug and the valve would be expelled.

Actually Trident had to recall a particular DIN plug due to the abovementioned problem - turn the tank on with it in the valve, and it would let fly. Personally I don't view the delrin plugs as anything more than a threadsaver and to keep water out.

Well, of course, Padi is correct. The OEM's aren't stupid; they design the DIN valve with a bleed orifice at the base of the socket. The plastic plug is not supposed to block this hole and is therefore designed to be a bit short causing it to bottom on the valve's lip without sitting on the high pressure outlet and blocking air flow. However, since 200 bar may not as deep as 300 bar this might be something to check.

JamesK once bubbled...

I disagree to a point. With the length of the threads on a 300 bar valve, by the time you actually had enough threads loosened for it to come out, that tiny bit of air between the plug and the valve would be expelled.

IF, the plug was seated and IF the valve wasn't drilled with a vent port the plug is only made of a soft plastic, they do cross thread easily, so I'm not saying that it deffinately would blow out ripping the threads off the plug killing someone but the possibility is there for something bad to happen. And as for that tiny bit of air between the plug and the valve, there's a whole lot of air between the plug and the valve when you open the valve and if the valve is opened during the drive to the dive site there would be a whole lot of air behind that plastic plug for quite some time.

Besides James you're a fellow Deltoid, you're supposed to agree with me. :D So when are you coming down to do the Grove? I'm itchen to do it again.

Scott

You just shut the valve off and use a wrench. No biggie, and not a task for Hercules. UP, I don't have these myself cuz I've got yoke valves on my tanks, but I've got some techie pals who have these things from Gulftex on I think every tank they own and love 'em.

Back
Top Bottom