Dil switch off helium during deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is "O-Dive"?

Its a personal doppler, and it analyzes quality of your decompression. They are actually very cool units. The first model and phone app a couple years ago were not the best and not very user friendly but the newest model and phone app are very good, however the app still seems a little fussy about androids (on and Iphone is flawless)

Also I spoke with these guys not that long ago and they finally got there FCC approval so they can sell it in the US so I think it should already be available in the US by now. However I don't know how much advertising the do in the US or who even sells them. They are more popular in the EU and Asia.

O'Dive - The first connected sensor for personalised dives

Also I spoke with these guys not that long ago and they finally got there FCC approval so they can sell it in the US so I think it should already be available in the US by now. However I don't know how much advertising the do in the US or who even sells them. They are more popular in the EU and Asia.

I know that Ben Lair (@DiveTucson) @ Paragon is selling them:

- brett

Its a personal doppler, and it analyzes quality of your decompression. They are actually very cool units. The first model and phone app a couple years ago were not the best and not very user friendly but the newest model and phone app are very good, however the app still seems a little fussy about androids (on and Iphone is flawless)

O'Dive - The first connected sensor for personalised dives

Looks very interesting.

Several buts...

Website's rather lightweight. Could really do with examples of analysed dives; what does it display, how much information is there, how can that information be used, exported, etc.

It's pretty obvious that something like this would be fantastic to use post-dive on dive boats, gathering all deco info from the divers to collate into a massive deco database for researchers to use -- especially if accompanied with dive logs. Lots of issues with gathering the info though.

Wibs have a look at my post #7 it's a blog extract from a guy who's been using one and amending his profiles.

There's more on FB but I know how u feel about that!

Ian F has one if you want to chat to someone over here bout it.

I'm tempted.

Wibs have a look at my post #7 it's a blog extract from a guy who's been using one and amending his profiles.

There's more on FB but I know how u feel about that!

Ian F has one if you want to chat to someone over here bout it.

I'm tempted.
Would be really interesting to have a play with, maybe on a decent dive boat. Pretty expensive to use though, although I suppose €3/$4 a go isn't too expensive.

Any idea what it displays at the end; is it just a single number that indicates the amount of blood-borne bubbles?

More detail in this issue:

More detail in this issue:

That's really interesting. Thank you.

Particularly interesting is finding out whether one’s personal mitigation strategies work.

Thinking of my own decompression where I set my computer to use 3m/10ft as the last stop and tend to deco out around 5m/17ft with a slow ascent, sometimes using the last few minutes to move up to 3m, then extending it with a slow ascent to the surface. Doing this I discovered that I was a lot less tired after a dive.

If the O-Dive were available on a boat, I'd be happy to pay to use it. Not sure it's something that an individual would buy though.

rjack321:
So if the helium penalty is "the right idea but for the wrong reasons" what are the reasons or the mechanism for that extra time? Do we know or have some educated guesses?

Hello rjack, really good question. The idea that the helium penalty might result in the right amount of deco for the wrong reasons arises at least in part from the sometimes under-appreciated fact that even when conducted in strict compliance with decompression algorithm recommendations, dives across a range of depths are not iso-risk. Put another way, if you do a deco dive to 50m or 100m sticking strictly the recommendations of the same algorithm, it is likely that the 100m dive is more risky (there are data to support this suggestion). The helium penalty tends to be greater on deeper dives because we usually use more helium the deeper we go, and so the increasing helium penalty as we go deeper may be compensating for the higher risk associated with the deeper depths, and the decompression algorithms we have empirically derived for these deeper depths may therefore have benefited from belief in the helium penalty.

Vitaly:
Would you recommend to use O-Dive to control the decompression quality?

Hello Vitaly, I am not in a position to make recommendations on the O'Dive device at this point. My group purchased the technical dive version with the intention of evaluating it. Unfortunately the pandemic has interrupted our plans in that regard. I think the concept of personalised guidance on decompression safety is sound, and the O'Dive may prove to be very useful in that regard. However, a couple of points deserve clarification. It does not provide the sort of bubble counts or grades you are accustomed to reading about in scientific studies of bubbles after diving, and it does not provide you with bubble counts or grades in real time as I understand it. You need to synchronise the data in the app with the O'Dive server on line , and it then provides feedback on the 'Quality Index" of the dive which is affected by both the dive parameters and the subclavian Doppler data. The exact way the Quality Index is derived is proprietary and therefore somewhat opaque. These observations are not criticisms, but merely an attempt to describe exactly what happens with the device.

There is a more detailed account of these issues in a paper published in DHM late last year. I have attached it here, and it is also freely available on PMC.

Simon M

Attachments

• Germonpre_ODive_2020-25(646).pdf
    8 MB · Views: 187
I know that Ben Lair (@DiveTucson) @ Paragon is selling them:

- brett

Thanks Brett. This is a new product in the US market and we are the US distributor for O'Dive. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to help.

I have attached a document that has some more information that some may find useful. I am not always on here so you can reach out directly as well via email (Ben@ParagonDive.com or my cell at 520-260-9940.

Attachments

• 201028-Customized-decompression-ODive (5).pdf
    2 MB · Views: 80
Thanks Brett. This is a new product in the US market and we are the US distributor for O'Dive. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to help.

I have attached a document that has some more information that some may find useful. I am not always on here so you can reach out directly as well via email (Ben@ParagonDive.com or my cell at 520-260-9940.
Just to confirm it requires internet access to upload data to the company and get your deco score correct? So it won't work in a cave or outside of cell service range?

If that is the case... how big are the data packets? and if you have a sat phone is there a way to transmit them that way?

Back
Top Bottom