Difference between diving and kayaking wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matkamees

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Need to explain my husband what's the difference between diving wetsuit and kayaking wetsuit if any. I understood that they are from different neoprene, the way bubbles are but we both are new to diving, so hard to argue.
Thanks for helping out!:)

There doesn't appear to be any "real" difference.

Last edited:
Need to explain my husband what's the difference between diving wetsuit and kayaking wetsuit if any. I understood that they are from different neoprene, the way bubbles are but we both are new to diving, so hard to argue.
Thanks for helping out!:)
I have a couple of each, and s pair of kayaks, a sit-on-top and a sit-in.

the kayak wetsuits are thinner and more flexible. they are looser on the upper body. One is a farmer john type suit -- no sleeves. I wear a thermal shirt under it (or sometimes a neoprene one). the thermal shirt is from patagonia, the neoprene shirt is only 1.5 mm thick. kayak wetsuits are mostly for use in the boat. if you hang in the water too long you will get cold.

Diving wetsuits, when kayaking... well my 5mm body glove is much too warm in the boat. it binds at the waist and seat and across the shoulders and is much to stiff in the boat.

kayak diving i dive dry, with the zip open. this is a bit dangerous. if you endup in the water with an unzipped dry suit, it will fill with water and you will be in trouble.. a buddy is really useful in this situation. it also really tippy putting on the dry suit top.

kayak diving i dive dry, with the zip open. this is a bit dangerous. if you endup in the water with an unzipped dry suit, it will fill with water and you will be in trouble.. a buddy is really useful in this situation. it also really tippy putting on the dry suit top.

I have found that I can kayak to my dive site in my (diving) drysuit so long as I hop into the water (with the suit on and zipped up) before paddling. I make sure to cool off for a few minutes and soak my head several times. I find that, so long as my head stays wet I am reasonably OK for short jaunts. It is really helpful if it is overcast and a bit windy. :)

The kayaking wetsuits are more flexible and not as warm, being that you are only getting splashed and maybe occasionally getting in the water. I have tried kayaking in my 3 mil shorty and it is just too warm. The reason I am wearing something like that is because it is colder out and what happens is that you get warm quickly, but then through evaporative cooling you will get even colder than if you were just wearing pants and a sweatshirt. I now have a kayaking drysuit that is much more comfortable. I do go out on the kayak as late as November and as early as March, and with a sit on top kayak it can get a bit cold and wet.

I have found that I can kayak to my dive site in my (diving) drysuit so long as I hop into the water (with the suit on and zipped up) before paddling. I make sure to cool off for a few minutes and soak my head several times. I find that, so long as my head stays wet I am reasonably OK for short jaunts. It is really helpful if it is overcast and a bit windy. :)
Sounds like a great idea. I'll try it on my next kayak dive..

Basicly we wanted to know if one can use 4mm Farmer John type kayaking wetsuit for diving in warm waters. He has kayaking one (used it in Greenland summer for kayaking distance of SIKU Artic Challange) and a Billabong thermal long-sleeved shirt, so basicly he could use them together in 26-28C waters.
I remember the SD Instructor telling the neopren is different or smth. for kayaking wetsuits compared to diving wetsuits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom