Difference between diving and kayaking wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The neoprene may be different (less compressible for a diving suit) but in warm water like that it, a 4mm anything will be fine, maybe even warm. If I understand what the shirt you are talking about it, it looks like a fleece or something. That will not offer any warmth under water and I would not wear it.

The problem with a farmer john is it doesn't cover the arms/shoulders, so you would still want to layer it with a jacket or a shorty. Or not. Some of us would dive in those temperatures with no thermal protection.

For what it is worth, I have a farmer john (designed for paddling) that I use for scuba diving in warm water - it works just fine. The upper part of the farmer john is made of thinner neoprene than the legs are, and the cut-out around the neck and arms is generous - this all serves to make it good for paddling, but likely to let water in if you scuba dive with it as-is. The solution is to add a scuba wetsuit top, worn over the farmer john bottoms.

Back
Top Bottom