Did you actually see "An Inconvenient Truth" or not?

Did you see the film "An Inconvenient Truth"?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frank_delargy:
Please point me to one. I was unable to find any.
How does your assertion account for the fact that the US contributes about 5 times the CO2 load to the environment that India does with 1/4 of the population.

The answer lies in how the load is being measured.

no, i haven't seen the movie

i'm depressed enough about global warming as it is

ReefHound:
The answer lies in how the load is being measured.
That's just funny! :rofl3: It's obviously not just a river in Egypt as some people claim. I don't know anyone at all who disputes that the US is way and by far at the top of the emissions list however it's measured....per capita...total....whatever. The source given you just now was actually the US government. Do you really think they'd measure it in such a way as to make the US look bad on purpose? :rofl3:

It's interesting though the number of people prepared to diss something they've never even seen. It kinda proves my suspicion that many are more interested in politics than facts. As has been pointed out - no one has questioned the science of the film in any credible way. The most you've had is denial campaigns run by institutions like http://www.cei.org/ who are funded by Exxon Mobil and the tobacco industry.

That's not funny.....it's sad.

Kim:
It's interesting though the number of people prepared to diss something they've never even seen. It kinda proves my suspicion that many are more interested in politics than facts. As has been pointed out - no one has questioned the science of the film in any credible way. The most you've had is denial campaigns run by institutions like http://www.cei.org/ who are funded by Exxon Mobil and the tobacco industry.

That's not funny.....it's sad.

i'd be interested more on the science side of it as well. finland (if i recall correctly) has introduced very strict emission & alternative energy measures that seem to be working per news reports. maybe they know something we don't.

I saw it and thought it was a great and very eye-opening film.

One of the things that caught my attention the most was when they did a random 10% sample of (I believe it was) 9,000 published, peer-reviewed scientific papers on global warming and none (i.e. 0%) stated that it was inconclusive that humans were having a significant impact on global warming. Then when they did a similar sample of news articles on global warming, 52% said that it was inconclusive that humans were having an impact.

And no, I never cared for Clinton or Gore at all.

richtpe:
I saw it and thought it was a great and very eye-opening film.

One of the things that caught my attention the most was when they did a random 10% sample of (I believe it was) 9,000 published, peer-reviewed scientific papers on global warming and none (i.e. 0%) stated that it was inconclusive that humans were having a significant impact on global warming. Then when they did a similar sample of news articles on global warming, 52% said that it was inconclusive that humans were having an impact.
That impressed me as well. Even more though was when they quoted the aims of some of the denial groups which weren't interested in the truth at all - simply making the public doubt the reality. You're on REALLY weak ground when you have to defend a position with those kinds of tactics - although, unfortunately they work.

I believe in Global warming...already convinced, so I did not see it for two reasons.

1) not a fan of Al Gore, don't want to give him my dollars

2) I am sure it would depress me.

I DID skip the Christmas lights, in honor of Rigs, and due to the fact that I am lazy.

We try very hard to conserve energy in other ways too.

I was amazed when I saw the recent figures on cattle conribution to global warming.
Possible that giving up meat would be major for the planet. I am working on that...I just love it, need it so much.

The deforestation of the earth plays a big role too I think.

Kim:
That's just funny! :rofl3: It's obviously not just a river in Egypt as some people claim. I don't know anyone at all who disputes that the US is way and by far at the top of the emissions list however it's measured....per capita...total....whatever.

And the funniest part is that I said nothing about how the U.S. ranks. You don't know how it is measured, do you?

H2Andy:
no, i haven't seen the movie

i'm depressed enough about global warming as it is
Yes, its not coming quick enough. The snow is still here and I have Taylormade r7 irons to try out.

catherine96821:
I believe in Global warming...already convinced, so I did not see it for two reasons.

1) not a fan of Al Gore, don't want to give him my dollars
I was amazed when I saw the recent figures on cattle conribution to global warming.
Possible that giving up meat would be major for the planet. I am working on that...I just love it, need it so much.

The deforestation of the earth plays a big role too I think.

Catherine, if I remember correctly Gore gets nothing financially from the movie, the money is donated to his cause.

Looks like the bio engineers need to work on developing and cloning fartless cows!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom