Did you actually see "An Inconvenient Truth" or not?

Did you see the film "An Inconvenient Truth"?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHound:
Speaking of "exported" emissions, what do you think happens when a country like the U.S. tightens up it's environmental regs? Manufacturers just relocate to other countries like Mexico with less strict regulations. End result is more total emissions.
It's usually cheaper to build stuff in places with a lower cost of living and cheap labor.

Those places tend to have poo in their drinking water and lead-based paint, too.

archman:
It's usually cheaper to build stuff in places with a lower cost of living and cheap labor.

Those places tend to have poo in their drinking water and lead-based paint, too.

There are a lot of things driving industry out of the country. The last thing we need to be doing is giving them more reasons to go.

No, I didn’t see it and don’t plan to waste valuable time that should be spent diving to watch it – but I saw an early version of the slideshow it’s based on, and part of a later version of the slideshow with Gore narrating it, plus I have my old copy original edition of “Earth In The Balance” sitting on my desk complete with 15 years of notes scribbled in it. I also have several large documents that go through the movie point by point to address what he got wrong, what he got right, and what he cleverly misrepresented. The first time I met Representative Gore I thought he might have some good ideas and potential, but by the time I met Senator Gore a few years later I thought he was ultimately going to be the worst thing to come along to damage the fragile conservationist movement.

The problem I have with the movie and Al Gore in this case is that there are enough serious environmental issues that can be addressed honestly without resorting to hyperbole (to use a polite term), from a person that has proven his hypocrisy on the issue over and over. While he does mobilize his base of supporters, he also turns off plenty of people that should be brought into the fold about what we can and can’t do for the environment and what the true costs will be. Personally I’d rather watch Ted Nugent give a presentation on the importance of conservation and preserving nature because he doesn’t resort to scare tactics, doesn’t feel he needs to slander those who oppose him to make a point, he walks the talk, and he doesn’t hide his own hypocrisies.

If you want to watch an Al Gore interview come to a screeching halt ask him why he continues to accept $20,000 per year from Occidental for zinc ore leases that have never been used since Armand Hammer gave his father the land in 1970, which his dad promptly gave to Al Jr. as soon as Occidental hired him for $500K per year. Then look at how VP Gore called an OPEC meeting to find a way to help Occidental in their struggles to drill on U’wa land in Colombia while pushing the Colombian government to give Occidental free run of the indigenous tribe’s land – with almost no environmental protection.

The final straw for me, and many others, was in 2000, when the same Al Gore who made several proposals for increased oil taxes, and preached we need to raise the price of hydrocarbons to curb excess use was confronted with a complaint about the high price of oil during his campaign. The very next day he went back to Washington and the administration suddenly released a rather large (can’t remember the exact number this evening) amount of oil from the Strategic Oil Reserves instantly depressing the world price of oil – and later in the week pointed out to another campaign crowd how he’d delivered the lower oil costs he had promised. So much for the “BTU Tax” he laid out in 1992 as a requirement to save the planet.

Bill51:
If you want to watch an Al Gore interview come to a screeching halt ask him why he continues to accept $20,000 per year from Occidental for zinc ore leases that have never been used since Armand Hammer gave his father the land in 1970, which his dad promptly gave to Al Jr. as soon as Occidental hired him for $500K per year. Then look at how VP Gore called an OPEC meeting to find a way to help Occidental in their struggles to drill on U’wa land in Colombia while pushing the Colombian government to give Occidental free run of the indigenous tribe’s land – with almost no environmental protection.

FWIW Gore has denied ever owning any stock in Occidental or benefiting from it (his father did so there were some family ties), and the zinc mine was closed anyway in 2003.

ReefHound:
There are a lot of things driving industry out of the country. The last thing we need to be doing is giving them more reasons to go.

True. Focusing on the more important issues would be a prudent plan of action. Environmental regulations aren't generally considered one of these.

JeffG:
Yep...They better pick up their work. They are still passing gas I see.

JeffG; One of your best yet. I have been "offgassing" way too much lately. Time to go diving. Happy New Year.

mdb:
JeffG; One of your best yet. I have been "offgassing" way too much lately. Time to go diving. Happy New Year.
To you too.

I have to wait for the water to get thicker to dive. One of Life's ironies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom