Diagram of Whiskey Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can say with certainty that I have NEVER dove the whiskey and got vis like what was in SBM's gallery. WOW!

Well, I have dove the Whiskey with Mat, and I can honestly say those pictures are the first time I have ever SEEN the wreck! Now I know what I was bumping in too.....besides Mat!:D

I can say with certainty that I have NEVER dove the whiskey and got vis like what was in SBM's gallery. WOW!

Okay stupid question. Whats the history on the Whiskey? and I am assuming it is off Gulf Shores. I never have really dove around here only the rigs but hopping to get in so more diving this summer.

Okay stupid question. Whats the history on the Whiskey? and I am assuming it is off Gulf Shores. I never have really dove around here only the rigs but hopping to get in so more diving this summer.

see
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/deep-dixie-divers/170156-whiskey-wreck-history.html

from that post...

HISTORY
LNM11/85-- DERRICK BARGE SUNK IN APPROX. POS. LAT. 30-14-42N, ì
LONG. 87-41-30W HAS BEEN LOCATED IN POS. LAT. 30-14-36.7N, LONG. ì
87-41-53.0W. APPROX. 4 FEET OVER WRECK. (PUBLISHED FROM ì
PRELIMINARY INFORMATION IN LTR. FROM HFP-1 TO CGD8, DATED MARCH ì
4, 1985.
H10114/83-85-- OPR-J217-HSB-81; WHILE SEARCHING FOR PSR ITEM 276 ì
(AWOIS ITEM 3629), AN UNCHARTED WRECK WAS LOCATED IN LAT. ì
30-14-36.63N, LONG. 87-41-53.04W WITH A LL LD OF 3 FEET. ì
EVALUATOR RECOMMENDS CHARTING WRECK AS SURVEYED AND RETAINING ì
CHARTED WRECK "PA" IN LAT. 30-14.7N, LONG. 87-41.2W. WRECKAGE IS ì
SPREAD OVER A 50 X 20 METER AREA WITH BOTTOM DEPTHS VARYING 9 TO ì
14 FEET. SURF ACTION OVER SAND BAR ON WHICH WRECK WAS LOCATED ì
ROCKED DIVERS. VIS. 3-4 FEET HORIZ. AND VERT. POPULAR DIVE SITE. ì
(UP 12/26/90, SJV)

DESCRIPTION
**** MEMO, LTJG P.M. KENUL, OIC, HFP-1 TO LCDR K.W. PERRIN, CHIEF, HFPS;
RE. CLARIFICATION OF AWOIS NO. 03629 (PSR ITEM 276), H10114; AWOIS ITEM
NOT FOUND. DANGEROUS SUBM. WRECK LOCATED BY R/AZ IN LAT. 30-14-36.70N,
LONG. 87-41-53.00W ON JD 058, 1985. LD BY DIVER LEAD LINE 4.5 FT.
(UNCORP. FOR PRED. TIDES).
**** DIVER'S GUIDE TO THE ALABAMA-FLORIDA GULF (SEACOAST BOOKS, BIRMINGHAM,
ALABAMA); LOCAL DIVE KNOWN AS WHISKEY OR MAIL WRECK; NORWEGIAN LUMBER
BOAT WRECKED IN 1906 LIES 200 YDS. OFFSHORE DUE TO RECEDING SHORELINE IN
15-20 FT.; SCATTERED OVER 100 YD. AREA E-W PATTERN; PORTIONS OF HULL,
SOME METAL AND TIMBERS REMAIN. SHIFTING SAND VARIES EXPOSURE WITH TIME.​

Also, if you google it you'll find it listed as a "Derrick Barge" that was a lumber company boat sunk in 1906

Though this book is entitled Shipwrecks of Florida, you'll see the GPS cooridates are close to the above.

Shipwrecks of Florida: A ... - Google Book Search

I've got the printed edition of DIVER'S GUIDE TO THE ALABAMA-FLORIDA GULF . I'll go post what it has in it tonight or tomorrow if you want. Decent book if you can find it. It's been out of print now for years though. published 1983

The author, Tom Bailey, also followed that up with Reefs, Wrecks, & Rigs: Diver's Guide To The Northern Gulf of Mexico. (I think that might be the one I've got, if not the above) (also out of print, published 1993).

I bought the Divers Gude to Alabama - Florida online so need to post it up. Thanks agian for the info.

I bought the Divers guide to Al-FL online so no need to post it up. Thanks again for the info.

Hurricane ran her up on the sandbar in 1906, same thing happened to the West Beach Paddlewheeler. The Whiskey Wreck is named so, because it was rumored to have transported Whiskey during the Prohibition. It was a lumber ship that also carried mail.

SeaYoda - sure, post the video where you were corked to the surface by the surge, nice! :D Now everyone will want to go!

Hurricane ran her up on the sandbar in 1906, same thing happened to the West Beach Paddlewheeler. The Whiskey Wreck is named so, because it was rumored to have transported Whiskey during the Prohibition. It was a lumber ship that also carried mail.

Prohibition came about 20 years after that hurricane.

Back
Top Bottom