DGX regulators - Opinions Please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Near as I can see they don't have their own regs, just custom configurations of either deep 6, dive rite or poseidon regs. It says which are which on their site and they would just use the same kits as the same regs from those manufacturers. Getting ahold of those kits or if necessary finding a dealer for them would be the same as if you got them from the named brands themselves.
DGX sells the service kits right off their site to anyone near as I can tell. So does Deep 6 for that matter.
If you don't service them yourself it would be a matter of finding dive shop that doesn't get difficult about servicing stuff they didn't sell you.
If you do service them I'm not sure where you find specific documentation, I didn't see any downloads listed.

The DGX regs by Deep6 are not the same as the Signature regs by Deep6 and they don't share the same service kits.

So, even though they are made by Deep6 for DGX, they really kinda are DGX's own regs. You can't get those regs anywhere else and they are the only place you can get service kits for them, too.

That said, DGX has a Lifetime Return Policy. So, I wouldn't be too worried about any of that. If, say, service kits were no longer available in 10 years and you had those regs but couldn't get them serviced, you could call up DGX and tell them you are not happy with your purchase. They would work with you to try and make you happy. But, if they couldn't, they would take them back and give you full store credit for your purchase price.

It's a pretty amazing return policy, but they mean it.

The only thing I'd be worried about with the DGX regs is being able to get them serviced locally.

@stuartv Usually it is pretty easy to service the second stages, most take a generic seat and you can match up the o-rings fairly well. The first stages are more difficult especially for diaphragm regulators because you need to match the seat and diaphragm. If DGX stops selling them, then you are screwed unless someone like Trident steps in and makes a generic replacement or you can adapt another kit.

I would not worry too much about different Deep 6 kits as it could be only an o-ring or two could be different. As long as the seats and diaphragms fit, you are good to go. For example the difference between a Scubapro MK-10 and MK-5 kit is only a o-ring or two.

As far as DGX's return policy goes, they only guarantee for the "life of the product". Also this only applies to DGX gears brand which I am not sure this qualifies. So after 10 years they can say hey that is the life of the product too bad. As an example, years ago Zeagle used to distribute Apeks regulators in the U.S. These regs came with free parts for life. After Aqualung purchased Apeks, the story goes they raised the price of the kits so they would be too expensive for Zeagle. Zeagle then dropped the free parts for life and offered a trade in deal. Mares did the same thing after they acquired Dacor. People are running into problems servicing the older Cochran, Salvo, Oxycheq, etc. regulators as it is difficult to find kits or someone to work on them.

Another question is according to their website, " Service by other than an authorized dealer voids the warranty on all products we sell." So if you fix it yourself you void the warranty as you are not an authorized dealer.

I like DGX as much as anyone but in the past they have dropped regulator lines such as Hog and Hollis. I would recommend you get specific answers in writing before purchasing.

@stuartv Usually it is pretty easy to service the second stages, most take a generic seat and you can match up the o-rings fairly well. The first stages are more difficult especially for diaphragm regulators because you need to match the seat and diaphragm. If DGX stops selling them, then you are screwed unless someone like Trident steps in and makes a generic replacement or you can adapt another kit.

I would not worry too much about different Deep 6 kits as it could be only an o-ring or two could be different. As long as the seats and diaphragms fit, you are good to go. For example the difference between a Scubapro MK-10 and MK-5 kit is only a o-ring or two.

As far as DGX's return policy goes, they only guarantee for the "life of the product". Also this only applies to DGX gears brand which I am not sure this qualifies. So after 10 years they can say hey that is the life of the product too bad. As an example, years ago Zeagle used to distribute Apeks regulators in the U.S. These regs came with free parts for life. After Aqualung purchased Apeks, the story goes they raised the price of the kits so they would be too expensive for Zeagle. Zeagle then dropped the free parts for life and offered a trade in deal. Mares did the same thing after they acquired Dacor. People are running into problems servicing the older Cochran, Salvo, Oxycheq, etc. regulators as it is difficult to find kits or someone to work on them.

Another question is according to their website, " Service by other than an authorized dealer voids the warranty on all products we sell." So if you fix it yourself you void the warranty as you are not an authorized dealer.

I like DGX as much as anyone but in the past they have dropped regulator lines such as Hog and Hollis. I would recommend you get specific answers in writing before purchasing.
ams511,
Cochran never made a first or second stage regulator it was made by Beuchat and we were the U.S. distributor along time ago. We don't have any repair kits nor any parts.
Have a great day
Safe Diving
John

As far as DGX's return policy goes, they only guarantee for the "life of the product". Also this only applies to DGX gears brand which I am not sure this qualifies.

I do not believe this is correct. I bought my Seabear H3 computer from them. I recently became concerned that the battery in it might die and need to be replaced and ScubaPro is now not offering that service. I got confirmation in writing from DGX that if it comes to that, and they can't obtain a resolution for me, their return policy would be in effect and I could return the Seabear for a full credit.

Also, with regulators commonly still being in use 40 years later, I don't see how anyone could reasonably say that a particular regulator has outlived "the life of the product". If it was worn to the point that it needed more than a normal service, then sure, you could argue that it has outlived its life. But, I wouldn't be too worried about that. And, unless DGX undergoes some significant changes, I wouldn't be worried about them trying to weasel out of their return policy like that, either.

ams511,
Cochran never made a first or second stage regulator it was made by Beuchat and we were the U.S. distributor along time ago. We don't have any repair kits nor any parts.
Have a great day
Safe Diving
John

While Cochran may not have manufactured their own regulators, they did sell regulators under the Cochran brand. The average diver does not know what the business relationship is between you and your vendors. They just purchased the product based on the reviews and the strength of the Cochran brand.

Also "a long time ago" is a relative term. Here is a link to the 2001 Testers' Choice regulators, which the Duo Pro model made the list. Granted this is over 15 years ago but most (if not all) of the regulators on that list can still be serviced. Certainly, any "name" brand regulator on the list is able to be serviced, even the ones that are no longer in production.

Finally, are you sure Beuchat is the OEM on the Duo Pro? It looks to me to be a ODS second stage with a Coltri-Sub first. The second stage looks identical to the IDI/XS Scuba Seaira.

In the very unlikely event that DGX stopped providing kits for the DGX reg by Deep 6, Deep 6 would make available.

I do not believe this is correct. I bought my Seabear H3 computer from them. I recently became concerned that the battery in it might die and need to be replaced and ScubaPro is now not offering that service. I got confirmation in writing from DGX that if it comes to that, and they can't obtain a resolution for me, their return policy would be in effect and I could return the Seabear for a full credit.

Also, with regulators commonly still being in use 40 years later, I don't see how anyone could reasonably say that a particular regulator has outlived "the life of the product". If it was worn to the point that it needed more than a normal service, then sure, you could argue that it has outlived its life. But, I wouldn't be too worried about that. And, unless DGX undergoes some significant changes, I wouldn't be worried about them trying to weasel out of their return policy like that, either.

Stuart, I got the information from the DGX website itself. Under warranty.

All products purchased through Dive Gear Express are backed by the branded manufacturer limited warranty. Warranties vary widely by brand and type of product so please consult the manufacturer's website and/or user manual of the product in question for specific warranty details. In addition, all our house brand DGX Gears™ products are customer satisfaction guaranteed for the useful life of the product, backed by Dive Gear Express. Generic and unbranded products are guaranteed by Dive Gear Express for one year from date of purchase. Services by Dive Gear Express are guaranteed for a period of ninety days.

Warranty service usually requires return to either Dive Gear Express or the branded manufacturer if you prefer. If you are are unable to use a pre-paid return label then you pay for warranty shipping costs back to us and we always pay for the warranty shipping costs back to you.

The part about authorized service I got from this page.

Most authorized dealers are able to perform warranty, repair and service work on your equipment. Availability of sub-assemblies and components, repair parts, specialized tools and maintenance manuals does not imply qualification to assemble and/or service scuba equipment. Service by other than an authorized dealer voids the warranty on all products we sell. Improper service of dive equipment can lead to serious injury or death.

Dive Gear Express recommends that divers participating in more advanced technical and exploration type diving be trained in equipment service. We recommend that non-qualified individuals seek professional training/mentoring before attempting repairs or servicing on any diving equipment.

I like DGX and order from them frequently. They have great service. But who knows about the future.

I like DGX and order from them frequently. They have great service. But who knows about the future.

considering the state of the dive industry, even major brands aren't a sure bet regarding the future.

Stuart, I got the information from the DGX website itself. Under warranty.

I didn't say anything about their Warranty Policy.

I was talking about their Return Policy. After my Seabear is out of warranty, I can still return it to DGX for a full credit.

Returns & Refunds FAQ | Dive Gear Express®

Notice that there is no time limit on a return for store credit. And there is no exclusion based on the manufacturer. There are only exceptions for specific items that are marked as non-returnable. Computers and regulators are not items that have a "non-returnable" exception. An example of a non-returnable item is CCR absorbent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom