DGX regulators - Opinions Please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not dove the DGX regs, but they will be a bit of a step backwards from your D3's

I feel like I am always so confused on this subject.

On the one hand, it seems like I see a lot of posts saying that, just for example, I won't notice any significant difference between say, a Dive Rite XT reg set and a ScubaPro Mk25/G260 reg - assuming they have both been tuned well. And then statements like this that suggest that I would actually notice a difference between a HOG D3/Zenith setup and a DGX Deep6 setup.

What is the real deal here? What does "a bit of a step backwards" really mean? Is it how they breathe? Durability/longevity/reliability? Or what?

@stuartv

@cerich will be able to elaborate more if you want to talk with him directly, but here goes.

In terms of breathing characteristics under normal diving conditions, assuming they were tuned properly, it is unlikely the average diver will be able to tell any real difference.

In terms of build quality, overall design quality, and material choices, they are less expensive for a reason and it has nothing to do with markups. The Signature regs have better plating that will last longer and handle more abuse, the first stage design is a bit easier for hose routing because of the offset, some flow improvements to the first stage design help to minimize IP drop on the inhale cycle, second stage poppet improvements smooth over the work of breathing curve, higher quality soft parts help the reg to go longer between service intervals, etc etc. All little tweaks and improvements that make it a better regulator.

Does it matter? in the grand scheme of things absolutely not. If you have a HOG D1 is it worth it to "upgrade" to the D3? absolutely not.
If like @MattyS you already have a D3 and are looking at another regulator option with the concern of consolidating parts kits, then it has been confirmed by the manufacturer that the kits are compatible so I would look at either the D3 or the Deep6 Signature. I can tell the difference between the two due to the second stage poppet if I pay attention and am thinking about it, but under normal diving conditions wouldn't notice or care. Due to the material choices and slight improvements to the Deep6, I think it is easily worth the $100 over the HOG D3. As it is less than $100 more than the D3, it's a no-brainer unless you are bound by certain conditions that would cause you to choose HOG *i.e. dealer relations*.

Deep6 Signature as I would configure is $820.
Comparable kit with the DGX Signature is $550+$96 for the parts kits that are included.
This is assuming that you can't take advantage of first free service due to location.
So we are looking at $650 vs $820. Almost $200.

Both are sealed, 5 port swivel turret first stages
Both are balanced adjustable second stages with metal barrels
Same hoses, SPG's etc, so where is the difference?

PVD coating on the first stage will hold up to abuse better and longer than the black chrome on the DGX
Signature is a bit lighter
Teflon coating on the HP poppet and teflon o-rings internally give smoother performance and response in the first stage
Second stage case design has improved flow characteristics in the Signature
Barrel is teflon coated for corrosion resistance and ease of cleaning
New poppet smooths out the breathing curve a bit
Hard case is included with the Signature if you put any value in that.

The comparison is the same to the D3 except the PVD coating and weight of the first stage, and the case design on the second stage.

So when would I recommend spending the $200 and when would I not?
If you are in the US, the $200 is almost washed away with the first free service from Deep6. Even if you plan on DIY service, where the cost savings is only $100 for the parts kits, the extra $100 is totally worth it for the improved designs in my opinion.
I think for primary regulators it should be a no-brainer to go with the Signature series. The cost delta over the first service cycle is small enough that it's worth spending the extra $200 up front to get the better regulator. The Signature parts kits are cheaper than the DGX and HOG service kits by about $5/stage so that helps to add up over the life of the regulator. This is especially cool since the Signature second stage kit comes with the inhalation diaphragm which is not included from any other manufacturer as well as their choice to use higher quality and subsequently higher cost components.

When would I not recommend spending up? Honestly, I can't see a scenario when I would personally choose the DGX regulators over their Signature counterparts if I was purchasing new.

@stuartv

@cerich will be able to elaborate more if you want to talk with him directly, but here goes.

In terms of breathing characteristics under normal diving conditions, assuming they were tuned properly, it is unlikely the average diver will be able to tell any real difference.

In terms of build quality, overall design quality, and material choices, they are less expensive for a reason and it has nothing to do with markups. The Signature regs have better plating that will last longer and handle more abuse, the first stage design is a bit easier for hose routing because of the offset, some flow improvements to the first stage design help to minimize IP drop on the inhale cycle, second stage poppet improvements smooth over the work of breathing curve, higher quality soft parts help the reg to go longer between service intervals, etc etc. All little tweaks and improvements that make it a better regulator.

Does it matter? in the grand scheme of things absolutely not. If you have a HOG D1 is it worth it to "upgrade" to the D3? absolutely not.
If like @MattyS you already have a D3 and are looking at another regulator option with the concern of consolidating parts kits, then it has been confirmed by the manufacturer that the kits are compatible so I would look at either the D3 or the Deep6 Signature. I can tell the difference between the two due to the second stage poppet if I pay attention and am thinking about it, but under normal diving conditions wouldn't notice or care. Due to the material choices and slight improvements to the Deep6, I think it is easily worth the $100 over the HOG D3. As it is less than $100 more than the D3, it's a no-brainer unless you are bound by certain conditions that would cause you to choose HOG *i.e. dealer relations*.

Deep6 Signature as I would configure is $820.
Comparable kit with the DGX Signature is $550+$96 for the parts kits that are included.
This is assuming that you can't take advantage of first free service due to location.
So we are looking at $650 vs $820. Almost $200.

Both are sealed, 5 port swivel turret first stages
Both are balanced adjustable second stages with metal barrels
Same hoses, SPG's etc, so where is the difference?

PVD coating on the first stage will hold up to abuse better and longer than the black chrome on the DGX
Signature is a bit lighter
Teflon coating on the HP poppet and teflon o-rings internally give smoother performance and response in the first stage
Second stage case design has improved flow characteristics in the Signature
Barrel is teflon coated for corrosion resistance and ease of cleaning
New poppet smooths out the breathing curve a bit
Hard case is included with the Signature if you put any value in that.

The comparison is the same to the D3 except the PVD coating and weight of the first stage, and the case design on the second stage.

So when would I recommend spending the $200 and when would I not?
If you are in the US, the $200 is almost washed away with the first free service from Deep6. Even if you plan on DIY service, where the cost savings is only $100 for the parts kits, the extra $100 is totally worth it for the improved designs in my opinion.
I think for primary regulators it should be a no-brainer to go with the Signature series. The cost delta over the first service cycle is small enough that it's worth spending the extra $200 up front to get the better regulator. The Signature parts kits are cheaper than the DGX and HOG service kits by about $5/stage so that helps to add up over the life of the regulator. This is especially cool since the Signature second stage kit comes with the inhalation diaphragm which is not included from any other manufacturer as well as their choice to use higher quality and subsequently higher cost components.

When would I not recommend spending up? Honestly, I can't see a scenario when I would personally choose the DGX regulators over their Signature counterparts if I was purchasing new.

I really should get you to write descriptions for my website, I suck at it and you explain what I do and why better than I do.

thanks for the reply.

I think I'll get a hog setup and support the LDS. Cost will be about the same for me for the deep6 signature v hog.

Another LDS sells the mares XR range. They are mainly cave divers there and all seem to use poseidons or apeks. I haven't seen too much on here about the mares regs, I wonder if they are any good.

thanks for the reply.

I think I'll get a hog setup and support the LDS. Cost will be about the same for me for the deep6 signature v hog.

Another LDS sells the mares XR range. They are mainly cave divers there and all seem to use poseidons or apeks. I haven't seen too much on here about the mares regs, I wonder if they are any good.

nothing wrong with Mares regs. @Lake Hickory Scuba has a youtube channel with a few videos on their regs. I don't personally believe they represent good value and that is why I don't recommend them, but there is nothing wrong with them. You also can't get parts easily for DIY service which adds to the list of reasons why I don't recommend them. They do also have a history of gimicky features, like most things Italian and I can't really get behind that.

Nothing wrong with choosing to support your LDS if they've been good to you

Mares regs served me well for years. I got them when I was a new diver, and the LDS offered Mares packages at good prices. Mares isn't mentioned much on SB. A few years ago when I switched out all my and my wife's gear for long-hose configurations, we switched to HOG because all the cool kids on SB were touting them. :wink: Specific brands aside, my philosophy these days is to look for good value; I'm not persuaded that the expensive brands are worth the premium. If I were buying regs today, I think I would get Deep6, perhaps DGX's version.

They do also have a history of gimicky features, like most things Italian and I can't really get behind that.

First, your remark is very disparaging to Italians. Much of Scubapro's equipment is made in Italy as well as your SPG.

Second, was not Mares once related to AMF/Voit? I seem to remember the companies having a very strong business relationship. The MR-12 was an old Voit design.

Third, you dive Poseidon regulators which have to be the most "gimicky" regulators on the market and up to a few years ago parts and service were almost unobtainable in the US.

First, your remark is very disparaging to Italians. Much of Scubapro's equipment is made in Italy as well as your SPG.

Second, was not Mares once related to AMF/Voit? I seem to remember the companies having a very strong business relationship. The MR-12 was an old Voit design.

Third, you dive Poseidon regulators which have to be the most "gimicky" regulators on the market and up to a few years ago parts and service were almost unobtainable in the US.

is it untrue?
If you want a top performance sports car that will last and be reliable, do you get a Ferrari or a Mercedes GT? The Ferrari certainly will tend to turn more heads and has a lot of flair, but is much more apt to be in the shop.
In my line of work the equipment analogy holds very true as well. The Italians make their machinery like they make their cars, when they work, by God they are utterly amazing, but they break quite a bit. The German equivalents may not be as "sexy" but they work all the time and are predictable. Now, this doesn't apply to Mares regulators aside from their failed attempt at using a ruby for the HP seat, but the trend does hold true across quite a bit of the things they build. It's not derogatory, it's just a statement based on facts. If I want great food, wine, architecture, art, etc. I go to Italy. If I want better machinery that I know I can rely on? I go to Germany or Japan. If you ask literally anyone who has ever had to purchase machinery, or actually just work with the Italians in general for any multi-national industry, they will all say the same thing. "oh, they're Italian" explains an astounding amount of things. Not good or bad, just explains a lot. Same with German, Japanese, Korean, etc. It's not disparaging, it just is.

I am well aware that Termo makes all of our gauges, and I am well aware Scubapro makes a lot of their stuff in Italy. Not much you can say about Termo, but Scubapro does have quite a lot of gimicky products that exist to satisfy marketing needs and "look cool".
Heart rate monitors on their dive computers
Titanium in the S600
I still don't know how the g260 is meaningfully better than the g250
How many iterations of the MK25 have there been?
Anyone have a hydros pro rip on them already?
Why does one company need 13 different BC models not including their tech line?

so yeah, I count Scubapro as a gimicky Italian company. Doesn't mean I'm not going to dive my MK25's, or my 109's, and it doesn't mean I'll get rid of my Jet fins *that has to wait until @Deep Six brings out their negatively buoyant fins*, but it does mean I have no problem calling them out for having an excessively large product line and doing "upgrades" every year or two that are there to satisfy a marketing need to have something "new and sexy" vs. a meaningful change. Doesn't make their products bad either, just means they are focused on being "sexy" and leading the charge from a marketing perspective.

I'm not saying that Mares makes bad regulators. If you gave them to me, I'd dive them anywhere I'd dive most other regulators. What I wouldn't do is pay almost $700 for an Abyss when I could save money and buy Scubapro or Apeks, or spend an extra $50 and get Atomic or Poseidon.

What gimicky features are on my Poseidons?
They have a servo assisted valve design in the second stage that hasn't changed in 40 years, which fwiw is a very common valve design in industrial applications, it's a unique adaptation to scuba, but it's actually a surprisingly common valve design for industrial hydraulics and pneumatics. I have 30-40 weaving looms that each have a pair of almost identical functioning valves in them. It's actually also really similar to the power steering valve in your car.
The first stage is a bit unique with their sphere on the MK3 but still follows the same design principals as a normal first stage. It has measurable performance gains in simplicity, balancing, and durability. Less moving parts, more consistent balancing, balls always trump seats in valve designs if you can use them. They just took the effort to figure it out.

On the gimicky front, there is a difference in innovation for the sake of innovation, and innovation to break a paradigm. The ruby sphere was to break a paradigm and improve on an already really nifty first stage design that they had. It works and means something because it was actually a big change to the design of the regulator. Mares choosing to use a ruby because it theoretically should never have to be replaced is a marketing thing, they didn't change anything about the regulator except for the HP seat, and it didn't work. It was also $200 to replace and they apparently only kept a handful in the US at any given time, the Poseidon is $30 to replace if you break it.
You could argue that the optical O2 sensor is gimicky, but it's technology that is attempting to uplift a very old portion of our industry that has seen literally 0 advancements almost 40 years and they had the balls to try something truly new. We'll see if it works and catches on, but that is not gimicky.
Other than that, the second stages have been basically unchanged since they were originally released, with only one dropped from production, and the first stages get a new "generation" when a meaningful upgrade comes out and there have been about a half dozen of those.

Scubapro seems to come out with something "nifty" every year or two for their top end regulators to keep them exciting, constantly tweaking and for what I've seen, no actual benefits. It seems every year or two the MK25 has something tweaked to it, yet they don't really perform any any better than the old ones. Same with the G250/S600 series, something small has to change every year or two to keep the marketing guys happy. Are they small incremental changes? Sure, but why not focus on getting it right to begin with and/or waiting 4-5 years and then release something that is actually worth upgrading to?

For Mares. Only need to pick one current one from their "technologies" section to prove gimicky. What does "power breathing" even mean?
Twin Power
New, flow control manages the delivery rate of your gas, from natural breathing to power breathing. The former is the traditional way of breathing a Mares regulator, (VAD) while the latter (VAD+) provides an extra push when you need it.

MR12 is discontinued, but yes was a Voit design.

Poseidon parts scarcity was due to a poor distributor that is common knowledge. They now have a direct point in the US and for as long as James et al have been running it, everything has been going just fine and they've even released a DIY service class. That is huge progress.

I knew when tbone wrote the remark about Italian manufacturing that he had cars in mind. Do we really have any evidence to support extrapolating the old stereotype about Italian sports cars--even assuming there is some truth to it--to regulators? From what I have read, Italian precision mechanical goods have a reputation rivaling German these days. Cars, well, the Ferrari may or may not remain true to the stereotype--I wouldn't know. As for the people at the Italian companies you may have to work with to buy machinery, that too may or may not align with some stereotypes of Italians, but it has nothing to do with the quality or reliability of the machinery itself. I suspect the Italians talk of having to deal with Americans in stereotypes, too.

Carry on.

I knew when tbone wrote the remark about Italian manufacturing that he had cars in mind. Do we really have any evidence to support extrapolating the old stereotype about Italian sports cars--even assuming there is some truth to it--to regulators? From what I have read, Italian precision mechanical goods have a reputation rivaling German these days. Cars, well, the Ferrari may or may not remain true to the stereotype--I wouldn't know. As for the people at the Italian companies you may have to work with to buy machinery, that too may or may not align with some stereotypes of Italians, but it has nothing to do with the quality or reliability of the machinery itself. I suspect the Italians talk of having to deal with Americans in stereotypes, too.

Carry on.

the machining on the Mares regs is actually really good from the few that I took apart and the quality is certainly very good. The gimicky bit as I said in the first post was about "gimicky features", not "gimicky quality", or "bad quality" or anything like that, @ams511 just ran with it a bit, and based on the time and his location, I'm assuming he's just a bit grumpy which is fine. Hopefully my clarification while a bit long, did go to show that it has nothing to do with lack of respect for what they can do, just that marketing often trumps engineering when it comes to Italian companies and it works for a lot of people, I just can't get behind it

Back
Top Bottom