DGX free shipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it may have some effect on their sales as before most people would top up their order to get the free shipping, easy to do when it was $49 and not too difficult when it was $99 but it is not very realistic at $199. Many people will now buy just what they need immediately and pay for the shipping and forget about the other items.

$199 for free shipping? Wow, that is quite a change to bump the free-shipping amount by 2x. It will definitely influence the amount of money I spend with them. At $49 and even $99 for free shipping, I bought from them for the great service and convenience. However, at $199 for free shipping, I will be spending more at one of the several local dive shops I frequent in South FL. I'm not paying for shipping when I can simply wait a week or two and get the item(s) the next time I'm at Force-E in Riviera Beach, Boynton or Boca or SCUBAdventures in Naples. I will also probably be spending more at LeisurePro/Scuba.com.

Let me put it this way, "free" shipping allowed me to be a lot more impulsive buying crap. $200 to me is not something that I would spend impulsively. That's just me... I know there's people on here who could care less.... probably didn't even know they were getting free shipping from DGX when they did,

So legitimate question. Would you rather they raise prices and keep the free shipping the same? Or keep prices low and no longer have free shipping?
I'm not trying to dig at you, just actually asking. Something has to give somewhere, nobody works hard to build a business to lose money.

I often include shipping in things I sell, knowing full well I will have 3-5% in credit card or paypal fees plus additional in shipping.
People that show up with cash tend to get better pricing.

Shipping charges will influence my purchases to an extent but mainly by waiting and consolidating orders. If i need something small, really need it, then I'll pay shipping. But instead of a bunch of $50 orders, all consolidate to one large order if it qualifies.

So legitimate question. Would you rather they raise prices and keep the free shipping the same? Or keep prices low and no longer have free shipping?
I'm not trying to dig at you, just actually asking. Something has to give somewhere, nobody works hard to build a business to lose money.

I often include shipping in things I sell, knowing full well I will have 3-5% in credit card or paypal fees plus additional in shipping.

I know you're not digging.. I honestly thought about this as I was typing. I'm not sure what "I" would want or be comfortable with. To me, the consumer, it kind of feels like they've done both. The mask I have bought a few of has gone from $25-$32-$35- and holy crap I just checked and it's $45!!! WOW!

In a perfect world we wouldn't be in this mess, since it's not and we're here it would be nice to only get nailed with one or the other, but not seeing both rising costs and free shipping 4x what is once was.... or at the very least issue a statement about it beforehand so I can grab the lube 1st.

Edit: and for the record I did a cost comparison today of a job we did in 2012 vs the same job today. There's been a 58% markup in that time, most of which has nothing to do with me. So it's not DGX, it's not me.. it's just inflation at its worst:(

I know you're not digging.. I honestly thought about this as I was typing. I'm not sure what "I" would want or be comfortable with. To me, the consumer, it kind of feels like they've done both. The mask I have bought a few of has gone from $25-$32-$35- and holy crap I just checked and it's $45!!! WOW!

In a perfect world we wouldn't be in this mess, since it's not and we're here it would be nice to only get nailed with one or the other, but not seeing both rising costs and free shipping 4x what is once was.... or at the very least issue a statement about it beforehand so I can grab the lube 1st.

Edit: and for the record I did a cost comparison today of a job we did in 2012 vs the same job today. There's been a 58% markup in that time, most of which has nothing to do with me. So it's not DGX, it's not me.. it's just inflation at its worst:(
yeah, it has been hammering from all angles.
I have been selling tanks for about 10 years. The prices I used to charge for tanks shipped is less than my dealer cost these days. Luckily for the interim, industrial gas prices haven't been nearly as volatile as motor fuel gas prices.

I will refer that to Sub-Gravity and buying sorb for the rebreather. The price has gone up, but still has free shipping. Weather the price has gone up because it costs more to get, they want more profit, or to cover the shipping, don't know, don't care. That is the price to get it to my door. Feel like I am still getting the same deal I was getting a couple years ago.

If the O2 cell I am buying off DGX went from $89 to $93, I wouldn't care. The price went up. I was buying a cell, then a cell with a couple of trinkets simply because the cell+shipping was adding up to $102, but I could get some trinkets and free shipping for only $100. I got more for less money on the free shipping deal.

Let me put it this way, "free" shipping allowed me to be a lot more impulsive buying crap. $200 to me is not something that I would spend impulsively. That's just me... I know there's people on here who could care less.... probably didn't even know they were getting free shipping from DGX when they did, lol.

For the people asking, why this matter, this is why. When the free shipping was $49, I would go add the few bolt snaps I need, maybe a oxygen safe lube, a tool or something to get it over $49 for free shipping. I would sometimes do this twice in a week. It was a lot easier to just add a few extra items with the ones I need and place an order. Being in Florida it would be at my house in one to two days. Really convenient.

Now at $199, I can wait a week until I am cave country to buy the small items like bolt snaps that often started the impulsive purchases when it was $49. So it would be when I need a specific reel, mask, or anything else that is DGX branded.

As far as should they simply raise prices a bit? I don't know. I just know that the current policy makes the impulsive purchases I made in the past less likely, so they are getting less of my money.

I just looked at their website, free shipping is back to $99.00 for continental US. I think this is very fair and I guess they realized that $199.00 could hurt sales to those used to their previous policy.

I just looked at their website, free shipping is back to $99.00 for continental US. I think this is very fair and I guess they realized that $199.00 could hurt sales to those used to their previous policy.
Oh wow, good deal... I mean, not great like it was before, but understandable in today's climate. Thanks for the post. I honestly would have looked into alternatives @ $199, but $99 is alright.

Back
Top Bottom