Destin Jetties report (6/17/2006)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LiteHedded:
wow that's gross
you ever get good vis at those jetties?
:p

Sometimes the vis is G-R-E-A-T !!! During early May it was 50-60 feet vis.

photohikedive:
Here's "someone's" excellent display of parking, that inspired yesterdays shared space program
Niceparkjob.jpg

Did you get a pic of our trucks parked? heh.

I thought we were going to lose Gav there.

Yep, with the poor vis report, Gav sure was dedicated to make that dive and not leave with those four youg girls...

photohikedive:
sorry, no truck pictures. I promise, next time we sneer in the face of parking violations, I will gather evidence of our wrong doings

Just get a pic of anyone whining about saving a parking place. That way you can use it to identify them!

BTW.. I found a scratch on my front fender. It's new, but it doesn't really look like a "keying". might be though.

however, someone stole my antenna-guy off the top of my antenna. Either at the jetties or the condo. Those bastages!

Well guys, I just got back from Destin around 1 am. We did, in fact, make it to the Jetties and had two fun dives. I didn't realize we were meeting up in the parking area (I appologize if that had been discussed) so Jen, Ronnie, and I just went ahead and took our gear to the beach when we got there - around noon. We laid out and swam for a little over an hour before starting to gear up. Once 1:20 or so arrived and we didn't see any divers that were not part of a large group (Aquanuts and that group from Mobile), we headed under. (Apparently Gavin did call my cell around 1:05 but it was in my truck in that nice long parking mess).

Anyway, we must have been down there at least part of the same time b/c we also got swarmed by the school of Jack Cervelles on our way back towards the shore. That was pretty cool. There were some other divers with us at that time (probably you guys), but I just assumed it was part of that open water class from Mobile that was out there. Jen snapped a few shots of the Jacks, crabs, and a few random fish. Jen got a pretty good shot of Ronnie when he found a $20 bill at the end of the Jetties. Did one of you guys lose that $20 some time? If so, just let me know it is yours by telling me what President is on the front of it and I will be sure to it that Ronnie returns it to its rightful owner.

Well, that's about it for now. I am tired! We did an 8 hour deep sea fishing trip on Sunday so I am worn out after the hike through sand on Sat and the fishing today. I will get some of the good pics posted tomorrow. I hope to meet up with you guys soon. I will make sure I know the meeting spot next time around.

Well, for our part, we made it to the jetties, just a few hours early. We went out with Emerald Coast on the boat in the morning to do some offshore dives. Waves were up to 5ft, and viz was getting worse as we went out, so the captain decided to take us to the bridge rubble instead of out farther to the Phoenix. Once we got in, viz was about 15ft. The rubble wasnt very impressive, but it was a dive. After that, conditions didnt look any better, and we had a couple of people on board who couldnt handle conditions very well, so we decided to head into the jetties for the second dive.

This was about 10:30, so the current was ripping in the whole time. As you guys noted, viz sucked at the jetties. We managed to pull around the point a bit, and then gave up and drifted back to the beach. I did managed to get in a Navigation dive for a buddy who need it to finish AOW, so I got something accomplished.

We were signed up for the offshore dives sunday, but decided to cancel that since conditions wouldnt be getting better overnight. Instead I took my Nitrox Instructor Course, so again, I got something out of the trip. We had fun hanging in Destin, went to Maguires for an Irish Wake, layed out at the Back Porch, and just had a good time drinking and eating.

OK, I don't know all the guys that were at the jetties, but I know for a fact I talked to the people in the first set of pictures! hahaha Had I only known!!! :D I was the mexican looking girl (I am sure that narrows it down...LOL) but anyway, let's do it again-maybe somewhere else...
Even with the Junegrass, I still had fun, I loved the school of Jack Cervelles!!! But, my first few thoughts went like this.... 'oh how cool!' Neat-o!!! :confused: Wait a minute, what the hell is chasing these things!!!!! Then I kinda freaked out. And I was right there with you guys taking all the pictures. I think I ran into one of you one time!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom