Destin Jetties report (6/17/2006)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well heck... I hate we crossed paths w/o knowing who each other was.

divindummy, jeepbrew. did one of you guys have a pink nitrox tank? If so, I talked to you in the parking area when you were headed back out after swapping tanks.

Sorry we missed each other. I think we (gav, PHD, MDB, Seayoda, myself) all got there(parking area) about 1pm and did the "weird parking thing" and geared up. It was most likely 1:30 by the time we got to the water area.

After our dive, we were beside the boat load (with the umbrellas on their Carolina skiff) of folks from Mobile in the water for a while. We opted not to mess with a second dive due to the poor vis.

As for the Jack Cervelles, we've run into them before there. I think they were just schoolin' for food that the tide must have been sucking in.

mike_s:
well heck... I hate we crossed paths w/o knowing who each other was.

divindummy, jeepbrew. did one of you guys have a pink nitrox tank? If so, I talked to you in the parking area when you were headed back out after swapping tanks.

Sorry we missed each other. I think we (gav, PHD, MDB, Seayoda, myself) all got there(parking area) about 1pm and did the "weird parking thing" and geared up. It was most likely 1:30 by the time we got to the water area.

After our dive, we were beside the boat load (with the umbrellas on their Carolina skiff) of folks from Mobile in the water for a while. We opted not to mess with a second dive due to the poor vis.

As for the Jack Cervelles, we've run into them before there. I think they were just schoolin' for food that the tide must have been sucking in.

Ronnie, one of my diving buddies from Bham, was diving the Pink Nitrox tank. So yes, you ragged on him a little bit for diving a pink tank... until you found out it only cost him $50. :D

After seeing the picture posted on here, I know I saw you guys by the skiff from Mobile... I just assumed you were part of their group. We were just a few yards away on the beach at that point in time.

Oh well, sucks that we missed you. We are definitely going back to make a few more dives when the Junegrass gets out of there.

Sounds like a good time despite conditions. I would have been right at home in that soup, to be honest :)

Sorry to hear about that little truck of yours PHD. What an *******.

jeepbrew:
Ronnie, one of my diving buddies from Bham, was diving the Pink Nitrox tank. So yes, you ragged on him a little bit for diving a pink tank... until you found out it only cost him $50. :D

Yep... I talked to him and another guy and girl in the parking area. They seemed like nice follks. You just don't see guys much carrying a "pink" tank. But yes indeed for a $50 tank, I'd buy it pink too I told him. :D

Now I did give another dive friend a hard time for buying pink tanks also, but they paid full price for them. :D

I hate that we missed you guys... we'll have to do better next time for sure.

-mike

SuPrBuGmAn:
Sounds like a good time despite conditions. I would have been right at home in that soup, to be honest :)

Sorry to hear about that little truck of yours PHD. What an *******.

sorry to hear you died in a tragic car accident in bonnaboo

I actually "kept an eye out" for SBM's "bronco of death" on I-65 on my way home... Luckily I didn't see it "wheels up" in a ditch anywhere.

photohikedive:
I am sorry to have missed out on the "not quite after dive drinks". MDB and I made it to the point, when physics reared it's ugly head. Her steel 72 just didn't last as long as everyone else's AL 80s. We turned the dive, while the others fought thier way through the murk and currents. It sure was reminicent of home, except I was diving in shorts and a tshirt.

Unfortunately events from before the dive turned ugly sometime during it. When arriving to the parking area that is nothing more than a dirt strip along the road, I stopped nearly across the street from the beach entrance. A car was preparing to pull out. While stopped there, a woman and her three kids stood at the other side of the road. I waved to her, to show her she could cross. She waved me on, to let me know she didn't want to cross. As I waited there, she continued to stand across the street, waving me on. I tried to point to the parking space, to show her I wasn't waiting just for her, but for that space as well. As the car pulled out. I pulled into the spot. I rolled down the window, because she was still calling to me. "Didn't you see me claiming that spot?" she demanded. At this point her husband pulled his PT Cruiser up along me, and glared. His window was partly down, and I told him he could have the spot. He shook his head and said no. His wife continued to yell, and I suggested she should have been on THIS side of the street, if she was claiming the spot. He drove off, turned down the road, and came back. Again, I tried to offer the spot. I walked out in the road as he approached, and he drove past. About this time, SeaYoda drove up, while I was still in the middle of the road. I gave him a brief rundown, and Tsunamigav drove by. Mike_S pulled up, and we started the ballet that was parking two full sized trucks, into a parking space that had previously held just one. Then we went diving. Returning before the others, and expecting a ticket, we arrived at the parking area. No ticket, but two nice gouges in my door, from what likely was a key, probably a key to a PT Cruiser from Tennessee. Stupid coward. Angry at the brow beating his ugly fat foriegn wife was sure to give him for not being faster at getting the spot. And not being manly enough to make me give it back, he lashed out the only way he could.

Frustration ruined my patience, and I decided to call it a day instead of waiting for the other guys to finish thier dive. Oh well, there will be more dives (tomorrow at Morrison. I might use up the remaining 2200 lbs in my tank from today) and that always cheers me up. Sorry for ditching you guys. Next time the aquatic crabs and beer are on me.

Sorry to hear about your car dude. How did Morrison turn out? I ended up sleeping in!

SeaYoda:
I stopped taking pictures as the snot-out hit full peak. I was busy trying to see you guys and I knew I'd get nothing but grass in the pictures. These were taken near the time when we got snotted-out.

617green2.jpg

617green1.jpg

Oh well! I kinda knew my pic wouldn't turn out! :11doh:

SeaYoda:
When we were out near the anchor we could not find, I was within three feet of you guys and had a hard time seeing you. The dark green wall of June grass was freaking me out. I didn't want to swim into it any further. I was happy to turn the dive when we did. I have never seen it this thick before. Steve at ScubaTech says that boat viz was not so great either. Here are a graph and some pictures from the snotstorm:

6-17-one.jpg

617grp.jpg

617jacks.jpg

617mdbshark.jpg

617msbeer.jpg

617mseat.jpg

Aww, what a cute group picture! haha :14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom