DEPP insurance questions - split from general insurance thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If anyone knows what is going on with this D.E.P.P insurance company ... I took a contract with them back in 2007. I had a claim.After months, they wrote me an e-mail (I live abroad) saying they sent me a check by post. The money never arrived, my mails and calls never never answered.They even hanged up on me. Had to go to Africa for my job, now it is 2009, after 50+e-mails, phone calls and letters coming back to me since 2007, what to think?
I wish someone would help me out to get those 1900€ (2700$) back.Any help would be very much appreciated

I have been using Depp for years. Now, I am reevaluating this decision. My sister has a claim with them right now as she lost all her photo equipment in PNG this spring. They are, evidently, being difficult to deal with. My policy comes up in 28 days, so now is the time to reflect.

Yes, I was with them also and hav since done a seperate rider by my home insurance policy.

As long as you get a seperate rider the loss and any claim won't impact your home rates.

State Farm had better rates than DEPP also. I flooded off Molokini and discovered they don't know enough about the underwater camera equipment to even ask many questions, they just sent the check.

They told me they will do the rider even if you don't have home owner' with them, which surprised me.

I have been using Depp for years. Now, I am reevaluating this decision. My sister has a claim with them right now as she lost all her photo equipment in PNG this spring. They are, evidently, being difficult to deal with. My policy comes up in 28 days, so now is the time to reflect.

I'm in the same boat as you are; my policy expires on the 16th... and I'm leaving for a dive trip on the 13th so I don't have much time to think about this.

Can you elaborate on how they're being difficult with your sister? Is it just a matter of contacting them or are they hesitant to pay up? My policy was only ~$50 US and I don't have renter's insurance so I'm a bit stuck if I don't renew my policy or purchase home insurance (with a rider?) real quick. :wink:

This thread has gone from 2006 to 2009 and DEPP seems to be loosing favor over time.
I live out of the US so DAN is not an option and my homeowners rider is costing way more than the above quotes.
So how do I find the other options?

It just seems she is having to fight for every penny. Her housing had a fancy viewfinder attached that they are not covering, even though it was insured (1,200.00). She insured her expensive dive computer but their small print says they will only insure up to 500.00 for computers. They had no problem accepting her premium that covered the cost of the computers value, though. That sort of thing.

Ive got next to 20K of camera gear covered with Sandy through DEPP. Never had a claim yet, however adding and removing gear is a snap. Easy, friendly service!

Ken

Allison, State Farm sent me a check for my D-200 and the 900 dollar lense based on my word and an image I snapped on the boat with my dive watch in the shot (time, date)

Allison, State Farm sent me a check for my D-200 and the 900 dollar lense based on my word and an image I snapped on the boat with my dive watch in the shot (time, date)

So State Farm had no trouble covering loss due to a flood? Was flooding specifically mentioned in the policy's wording?

State Farm has (some) insurance available to Canadians, so it might be worth pursuing before I leave for my trip on the 12th. :wink:

State Farm doesn't help me much here in Curacao. Any other international products?
I have emailed DEPP twice with questions but no answer so far. Not a good start.

Back
Top Bottom