DEPP insurance questions - split from general insurance thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll note that I went with the DAN (H2O) insurance instead of DEPP, because (a) I'd rather get a check than have to wait for reimbursement and replacement, and (b) I cover the rest of my gear in case of theft, etc., not just my photo gear. I got cold sweats the first time I added up the value of my gear and how much it would cost to replace it all if my car was broken into while fully packed for diving.

I just spoke with Sandy, from DEPP, in Palm Desert and found out some interesting things.

Last year, they dropped the requirement that you must insure dive equipment as well.

Also, receipts are not required, they just insure you for the dollar amount you itemized on the inventory form.

When I commented that their coverage is over 1/3 less, she said that by doing replacement only, they keep fraud at bay, for people who might otherwise flood their camera for a check, thus the lower premiums.

She said that if my D-100 was no longer available (I think it might not be) then I could use the inventoried amount towards a D-200, or whatever camera I choose.

I am glad I called because I thought I had DEPP, when I actually have H20, but am no longer a DAN member.

Also, she told me they DO cover overboard items for replacement but the DAN/ H2o policy does not.

D100s aren't in production any more, but if you find somewhere that has old stock, used ones, or find an auction on ebay - DEPP will pay for the replacement.

I have all my important SCUBA gear insured as well, not just photography stuff.

I have no problems with not getting a check, as they'll put the money towards an upgrade if you so desire. The camera gets sent directly from vendor to you, not to DEPP. So replacement is just as quick compared to if you just ordered a new camera with your own money after the previous loss.

Does anyone have contact information for DEPP? I can't seem to find a website for them

From the Pink Link, that repository of everything uw camera :D :

Insurance...

Do I need it?
Only you can answer this question. If you are not willing to fork out the cash when something goes wrong, then, yes, you need it. You'll need to decide if the replacement costs out-weigh the cost of premiums and excess payments.

What options are there?
This is not a definitive list, of course, but hits on three of the most popular options. Make sure you do your own homework - only you can decide which policy will suit your needs the best.

- DEPP (http://www.awryinc.com/depp.html). DEPP replaces equipment and does not pay out cash. It allows you to insure individual components against flood so you can pick and choose - this impacts the cost of coverage. I use DEPP.

- H2O (https://www.h2oinsurance.com) pays out cash. kidsdream uses H20.

catherine96821:
I just spoke with Sandy, from DEPP, in Palm Desert and found out some interesting things.

Last year, they dropped the requirement that you must insure dive equipment as well.

Also, receipts are not required, they just insure you for the dollar amount you itemized on the inventory form.

When I commented that their coverage is over 1/3 less, she said that by doing replacement only, they keep fraud at bay, for people who might otherwise flood their camera for a check, thus the lower premiums.

She said that if my D-100 was no longer available (I think it might not be) then I could use the inventoried amount towards a D-200, or whatever camera I choose.

I am glad I called because I thought I had DEPP, when I actually have H20, but am no longer a DAN member.

Also, she told me they DO cover overboard items for replacement but the DAN/ H2o policy does not.

I should have read this thread days ago! I just updated my DEPP insurance and left the dive gear in it! Oh well.....

I decided against DEPP and H2O and got a rider policy through USAA. Covereage due to loss (dropped overboard), damage (flood) or theft, ~ $10K worth of Nikon and Sea & Sea camera gear at less than $100 per year. Of course, the risk is that if you make many claims, the increase in rates may also affect my home and auto insurance, but USAA offers such competative rates and service, I'm willing to take that over the much more expensive DEPP or H2O which do not offer the flexability or good prices.

Just a data point for consideration when choosing insurance.

Take care,
John

DEPP doesn't cover equipment dumped in a diving emergency. Flood coverage adds 4% of the value to the prices listed above. DEPP insurance can be reduced or cancelled after two claims within 12 months.

Of course, the risk is that if you make many claims, the increase in rates may also affect my home and auto insurance

you could make the argument that the other business you give them could stabilize your rates if a claim was made. If they are making money on you for other policies, they might be more "understanding" on camera issues. I do hear great things about USAA.

Back
Top Bottom