Deeply humbled...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJo

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For about 3 years now I've been diving wet up here in Ontario and have enjoyed the cold water, although it can be quite chilly! After watching my dive buddies all nice and toasty in their drysuits, I took the plunge this year and am now a proud owner of a Northern Diver CNX25 suit.

I used to pride myself on being a mistress of buoyancy and I must say buoyancy smacked me up good tonight :D I am truly, deeply humbled, as my new position in the water is feet straight up!

I don't post on Scubaboard very often, but tonight was my first session in the pool suited up and I just wanted to give a big shout out to all the drysuit divers and the dive gods: I'm not worthy!!!!

You got that right. I've been humbled twice that way, once with the dry suit, and then with the doubles. The good new is that it all goes back to normal with a bunch more dives. What could be a better prescription than that?!

Congrats on the drysuit. You're gonna love it!

There is definitely a learning curve with the dry suit, and it continues to challenge one for a long time (if you're me, anyway). I did a practice dive with a friend a week ago, after about a hundred dives in my dry suit, and blew shallow stops; today, I did the same exercise in a 3 mil wetsuit and nailed it. Cut yourself some slack . . . it ain't easy being dry :)

I just switched BCs, to my first weight-integreted and my first back-inflate. I had it nailed before (at least I seemed quite comfortable and confident) and now I feel almost as bad as I did during my first 5-10 dives. It is improving though.

Congrats on the dry suit. I suspect it will make your diving more enjoyable up that way.

Willie

Aquaplenipotentiary
:lol: I am just a country boy, Rick. I might need you to interpret that one for me.

Is that 'a lot to learn in the water' or 'looks promising in the water' ?

Willie

Oh my! I just looked it up. According to m-w.com it means 'possessing full power and authority'.

Please forgive my insubordination. I am deeply humbled... :god:

Willie

ScubaJo, this is one of the reasons I have never wanted to dive dry even though my readers and viewers "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill!" Of course I dive in the toasty waters of southern California and not Ontario!

I just don't need another learning curve while I'm under filming. I've had several photog buddies who went dry... and then switched back when they experienced the added attention they had to pay to their dry suit, and the distractions that caused while they were filming.

Of course there are plenty of divers accomplished wet or dry and my hats are off to the ones who stay dry!

TSandM:
today, I did the same exercise in a 3 mil wetsuit and nailed it.)

You MUST be away on vacation. :wink:

I'm with you ScubaJo but it's a skill worth mastering. Diving is easier and I feel much more capable diving wet. The upshot of the drysuit is that it lets us enjoy the sport year round and when the time is right we don't need to push the thermal envelope, we can dive safe and dry. The right gear for the right dive.

Back to wet for the summer and darned happy about it.

Pete

wet-willie:
Oh my! I just looked it up. According to m-w.com it means 'possessing full power and authority'.

Please forgive my insubordination. I am deeply humbled... :god:

Willie
Go, and dive my son...

Back
Top Bottom